Notices

Getting Through the First Weekend

Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Through the First Weekend

Hi Everyone,

I haven't gone a full week without drinking in more than 10 years. I recently became motivated to give full out sobriety a go. Since I've been working so hard lately, my boss gave me tomorrow off. I'm looking at a three day weekend. I've gotten through Monday-Thursday, but I'm worried the weekend will do me in and I'll be back at square one.

Basically, I feel like I have two potential strategies:

A) Stay at home and do as little as possible. Enjoy NHL GameCenter and many movies.

B) Do anything I want to feel good. For example, road trip, but just don't touch booze.

Both options feel like they have an equal chance of success or failure.

How do I do this?

GenoSt
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

First weekends can be tough. Do whatever you can to avoid those "triggers" that prompt us to drink. Which of your choices supports that the best?

I've seen a lot of suggestions to fully plan out one's time so there aren't any gaps where you can dwell on drinking.

If you stay home you can stick close to SR for support. However you decide, good luck.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me sobriety is priority one. I've been through a few weekends now and sometimes it was just chill at home the whole weekend eating good food, watching movies/games, guitar, whatever. On Sunday I felt great and Monday I was fresh and rested and ready for the week.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Hi GenoSt,

The simple short version would be just don't drink. I will say that I think you should keep yourself busy. Here is what I posted in my 1 year sober thread:

My advice is this:
1. Admit to YOURSELF that you are the problem.
2. Remove all alcohol from your home.
3. Determine who your TRUE friends are. (hint: not your drinking buddies)
4. Distance yourself from anyone who is a threat to your sobriety.
5. Surround yourself with people who truly care about you.
6. Allow yourself to experience the emotions that will come about by making these changes in your life.
7. EXERCISE and drink lots of water.
8. Just DON'T DRINK. For the next minute, hour, day, week or month... whatever works for you.

You have 4 days behind you, so WHEN you make it through the w/e, you will have 1 week sober! YOU CAN DO THIS!

Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Plan

Whatever I end up doing, I'm going to post here before I take a sip of beer and explain to everyone why it is so important to do so at that moment. That in itself, should make me reach for juice.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SR has a weekend thread that starts on Friday. See you there!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GenoSt View Post
Whatever I end up doing, I'm going to post here before I take a sip of beer and explain to everyone why it is so important to do so at that moment. That in itself, should make me reach for juice.
Play the tape all the way to the end. Play the tape several times if you have to just don’t start splicing and dicing it, be honest. To thine own self be true.

Remember it does not matter where go because there you are. You can’t hide from yourself.

Play the tape.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol Abistence- 03-18-2014

Geno, congratulations on the decision. I hope you have a good weekend and best wishes in staying strong.

I did my own first weekend of sobriety last week. My own advice is as follows, which some will be a repeat. Remove the temptation, with this I mean getting rid of any alcohol you have in your house as was said. Beer, liquor, even mouthwash if it's gotten that bad, but it doesn't sound like it has. Avoid things you would do that would normally constitute to you having a beer. Be it hanging out with friends, a club, etc. Let any friends know that you might have over about your choice to be alcohol free so they don't bring over beer or liquor. Last and most importantly, is to stay strong. Keep to the decision and find other things to do if you start feeling like having a drink. Clean the house/apartment, do some laundry, or watch a movie.

The first weekend was my hardest one for me. So keep strong, stay at it, and you'll be celebrating a month before you know it.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol Abistence- 03-18-2014

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...3-21-23-a.html

Also! Here's the weekend thread. There's a chat open at 9pm Eastern, 6 pm Pacific. Lots of support there, and I figured I would pass it on to someone as it really helped me that Friday.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd be worried that staying too inactive would make you go down the path of "I'm bored, this sucks, let's get something to drink to pass the time." Like the others suggested, make sure that you've got things to do that you don't normally associate with booze to help keep your mind busy.

Best of luck to you. The first few weeks can be really difficult but it's totally worth it. Hang in there!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Newbie here on DAY 2 so Day 4 will be my first real challenge.
>>>A) Stay at home and do as little as possible. Enjoy NHL GameCenter and many movies.So but in my humble opinion I would plan a movie marathon! YEs ok I am slightly biased as I am a complete Horror film geek but I would advise pick a movie franchise you like... stock your fridge with healthy munchies and after breakfast hit play!!!
I also have Friday off so will be going with a Lucio Fulci Triple bill and a heroic serving of pasta and fish!!!
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do Nothing

I took the "do nothing" and it was a difficult day. I never really think about drinking unless it's my normal drinking time, but today my mind was consumed with how nice it would be to have some beers and feeling depressed for denying myself. I also felt physically weird. I wouldn't classify it as pain, but just weird. Sometimes I found myself taking deep breaths to deal with it. Any input as to what the hell that feeling may be?

I took two naps today just to avoid the depression and strange feeling. I am looking forward to watching the Leafs play tomorrow morning, but the rest of Saturday scares me.

BTW: I am GenoSt. I just had trouble with my password.

Last edited by Geno78; 03-28-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Posted under different name
Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by GenoSt View Post
Hi Everyone,

I haven't gone a full week without drinking in more than 10 years. I recently became motivated to give full out sobriety a go. Since I've been working so hard lately, my boss gave me tomorrow off. I'm looking at a three day weekend. I've gotten through Monday-Thursday, but I'm worried the weekend will do me in and I'll be back at square one.

Basically, I feel like I have two potential strategies:

A) Stay at home and do as little as possible. Enjoy NHL GameCenter and many movies.

B) Do anything I want to feel good. For example, road trip, but just don't touch booze.

Both options feel like they have an equal chance of success or failure.

How do I do this?

GenoSt
Hey GenoSt, firstly excellent news and a massive step that you should be immensely proud of, the amount of people I know that just think it's fun to drink every day and don't realise they may have a problem, the hardest bit is being honest with yourself and you have smashed that goal so congrats.

I personally found exercising a massive mood enhancer, whether it be a simple walk or an exercise bike it all works and gives you a natural high.

I found coffee and chocolate a huge help early on with the sugar drop from not drinking, it's perfectly natural to be tempted as our brain adjusts and tricks us into thinking we need it. You will feel great when you wake up the following day knowing you had the strength and courage to say no.

Well done and have a good weekend.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm right there with ya Geno. My first weekend sober in quite a while. Will be a challenge but I've been here before. Quit many times. Monday morning will feel so good from our accomplishment that we'll want to keep going. Good luck!