Notices

Support Requested

Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Unhappy Support Requested

Hey beautiful people,

I've had a wicked few days; one thing after another at work. I've been making some mistakes -- I know everyone does, but I'm pretty down about it. I take such pride in my work and know I usually do a solid job; it's just been some oversights or misjudgements.

I even said to a friend today, why not just show up hangover if this crap still happens when I'm sober! That's not healthy thinking, is it?

It just seems like it's not one thing but another and another I've been dealing with. Super busy/super stressed…and for the first time in a while, I just wanted to get hammered after work.

I've been sober since November 2012. I just need some encouragement I guess…maybe some ways or things that others do to help them not be so hard on themselves when things go awry? My past go to method is unavailable.

I just haven't felt such strong urges in awhile. This site is my only sobriety support. Guess I just needed to vent to my friends.

I'm in bed sober watching tv and eating Doritoes and leftover pizza, so no worries on the drinking front. Just looking for a kind word or some words of wisdom.

Major thanks to this site and all the wise people on who share and help others on a daily basis. I couldn't have made it this far without you.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you're stressed Ophelia.

Remember to take care of you in all this...especially in the super busy times...a little me time can do wonders I find.

Sometimes I just have to accept that all I can is my best...some days that's a 10 and other days, for whatever reason, it might be a 6...

keep reaching out here too - there's lots of wisdom and understanding here

D
Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why not pamper yourself a bit? Take a long hot bath, buy yourself something you've been wanting. Read a new book. Visit a museum. Anything to keep yourself alive and happy.

You can get thru this.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Thanks, guys. Me eyes are all welled up.

Hugs to you too.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Ophelia. I occasionally felt that way my first couple of years sober. All we can do is ride it out - and do what you're doing - reaching out for suggestions. Posting here, tv, reading - anything to distract ourselves until the weirdness leaves. I'm sure others will have some thoughts. Proud of you for not caving.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Yeah, it's been hard lately. Thanks for being proud of me, Hevyn, but I feel kind of ruined. I also don't know how successful I really am if I am still dealing with cravings?

Like I've ruined my relationship with alcohol (and can still get sad about THAT? wtf?). I can't go back. Right? RIGHT? riiiiight. Why do I still have to convince myself some days? Why do the thoughts of drinking still enter my head after 17 months *shakes head….

Just kinda down about living with the ghost of it lingering, especially whenever I'm stressed taunting me with its false promises.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Yeah, it's been hard lately. Thanks for being proud of me, Hevyn, but I feel kind of ruined. I also don't know how successful I really am if I am still dealing with cravings?

Like I've ruined my relationship with alcohol (and can still get sad about THAT? wtf?). I can't go back. Right? RIGHT? riiiiight. Why do I still have to convince myself some days? Why do the thoughts of drinking still enter my head after 17 months *shakes head….

Just kinda down about living with the ghost of it lingering, especially whenever I'm stressed, taunting me with its false promises.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

oops sorry about the double post--can't even post properly! :/
Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt that way too early on - not often, but enough to be upsetting. Those thoughts have almost entirely left me now. We relied on it for so long to help us cope (even though it didn't). It's bound to haunt us for a while, but we know where it will take us - there's no relief in picking up - just more anxiety and misery.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My mom used to always tell me to just go to bed and that tomorrow was a new day. When I was drinking, I thought that was crap. But I've come to find that if you can sleep, it actually works!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes jmnyc - who knew?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I think it's a mistake to measure success by the lack of craving Ophelia.

Drinking was my lifeline for 20 years...
I had cravings thoughts and impulses for well over a year.

I think our recovery is measured not by cravings, but how we deal with them
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Yeah, Dee, a little perspective helps. For over 25 years it was a lifeline for me. I've been successful for 17 months at something I never dreamed I could (or want to) do. It has made me feel stronger. Just a real sense of weakness in a few ways came crashing in around me tonight.

I hope I can sleep. It's 11:30 PM and I'm still a bit wired from the stress and not a drop of melatonin to be found. sigh

At least I'll eventually fall asleep instead of passing out and deal with the work stuff tomorrow without a deathly hangover.

Dee, I must have read your sig line a few times while composing this post. It's almost like it was made for me tonight. Thank you for your words.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there RO.

I can relate to that stressy work feeling and needing something to help switch off. Sounds like you and me could almost be related...setting impossibly high standards for ourselves at work, beating ourselves up when we find we can't be all things to all people...

What has helped me is meditation...just taking 20 minutes out of the madness to totally focus on something else. It has taken practice because work thoughts still like to intrude, but i can't believe what it has done to my general stress levels.

I also try very hard not to beat myself up now. I've accepted that I can make mistakes (who me??)...I apologise and move right on. I also let myself off the hook at weekends and do not rush around trying to be the perfect wife/mother/daughter/sister /friend. I found I was running around like a headless chicken trying to be this bloody superwoman, whereas in fact after a hectic week at work, what I needed to do was go off for a walk on my own, listen to some music, or go visit someone who makes me laugh.

Be kind to yourself RO. You deserve it. It isn't always easy to juggle everything in life, but this work week will be over soon enough and I'm betting next week will be a whole lot better.

As for cravings, they aren't a sign of failure, or of something not working, they are a sign that you're an alcoholic that's all.

You're doing just fine xx
Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Personally, I think it's a mistake to measure success by the lack of craving Ophelia.
It is. I am 20 months and I still get cravings sometimes. I don't even have to have a bad day to get them. And yes there are somedays I just want to throw my hands up and say "what is really the point of all this?"

I measure my success in the fact I don't give into them anymore. That is success to me. I can ride them out and know that I have different ways of coping with them now. And that makes me feel good .
Old 03-26-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Thanks everyone. Your support really helped me last night. I'm on shaky ground as I gear up to face the day today and hope some issues can be resolved that put me in such a state yesterday.

Hope everyone has a good and healthy day. Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Reviving Ophelia, I am glad to hear that today seems a little brighter, now that you are on the other side of that awful one yesterday. Goodonya.

I won't presume to advise you, but I will share what I do. The first thing and the one that gives me the most comfort is the one you and I both share, and that is to think on what we have achieved. WE QUIT DRINKING! We did it, dammit. These pages are full of those that haven't achieved what we have done, and we are told all sorts of things that say that our achievement is nearly impossible. So, to me, this means that since I achieved that, I can do and achieve and withstand almost anything. *adjusts badass hat*

The second thing I do is to look at my reaction to that first event. There is some belief I have that made me react the way I have, with hurt or anger, when that thing happened. I tell myself that it didn't happen to me, it happened. It is my assumptions or mindset that internalized it and made it about me. So, what assumption was this exactly? Do I believe that I must be treated fairly? Do I believe that I must always succeed? Do I believe that I must always be liked or respected or admired? Maybe this belief is not rational or reasonable. Maybe I am giving people I neither like or respect a power over me they do not deserve.

The other thing I do, especially at this time of year, is to try to get outside, get some sunshine, fresh air. Because of our location, maybe we both share that hunger for an end to this winter of ours. I can hear robins and cardinals now in the mornings and evenings, so this spring will come. It always has in the past, and I believe it will again.

You is an awesome lady, RO. I believe in you, and I know that you can find a way through the issues that troubled you so much yesterday. Wear that badass hat with pride. Onward!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Reviving Ophelia, I am glad to hear that today seems a little brighter, now that you are on the other side of that awful one yesterday. Goodonya.

I won't presume to advise you, but I will share what I do. The first thing and the one that gives me the most comfort is the one you and I both share, and that is to think on what we have achieved. WE QUIT DRINKING! We did it, dammit. These pages are full of those that haven't achieved what we have done, and we are told all sorts of things that say that our achievement is nearly impossible. So, to me, this means that since I achieved that, I can do and achieve and withstand almost anything. *adjusts badass hat*

The second thing I do is to look at my reaction to that first event. There is some belief I have that made me react the way I have, with hurt or anger, when that thing happened. I tell myself that it didn't happen to me, it happened. It is my assumptions or mindset that internalized it and made it about me. So, what assumption was this exactly? Do I believe that I must be treated fairly? Do I believe that I must always succeed? Do I believe that I must always be liked or respected or admired? Maybe this belief is not rational or reasonable. Maybe I am giving people I neither like or respect a power over me they do not deserve.

The other thing I do, especially at this time of year, is to try to get outside, get some sunshine, fresh air. Because of our location, maybe we both share that hunger for an end to this winter of ours. I can hear robins and cardinals now in the mornings and evenings, so this spring will come. It always has in the past, and I believe it will again.

You is an awesome lady, RO. I believe in you, and I know that you can find a way through the issues that troubled you so much yesterday. Wear that badass hat with pride. Onward!
Thanks so much, Freshstart. I'm re-adjusting my badass hat right now!

I really like the line of thinking, "It didn't happen to me. It happened." I must remember that one!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hi there RO.

I can relate to that stressy work feeling and needing something to help switch off. Sounds like you and me could almost be related...setting impossibly high standards for ourselves at work, beating ourselves up when we find we can't be all things to all people...

What has helped me is meditation...just taking 20 minutes out of the madness to totally focus on something else. It has taken practice because work thoughts still like to intrude, but i can't believe what it has done to my general stress levels.

I also try very hard not to beat myself up now. I've accepted that I can make mistakes (who me??)...I apologise and move right on. I also let myself off the hook at weekends and do not rush around trying to be the perfect wife/mother/daughter/sister /friend. I found I was running around like a headless chicken trying to be this bloody superwoman, whereas in fact after a hectic week at work, what I needed to do was go off for a walk on my own, listen to some music, or go visit someone who makes me laugh.

Be kind to yourself RO. You deserve it. It isn't always easy to juggle everything in life, but this work week will be over soon enough and I'm betting next week will be a whole lot better.

As for cravings, they aren't a sign of failure, or of something not working, they are a sign that you're an alcoholic that's all.

You're doing just fine xx

Thanks, Jeni. Others have spoken of the powerful benefits of mediation. I really think I should look into this activity to help calm my mind when I get into a state.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by least View Post
Why not pamper yourself a bit? Take a long hot bath, buy yourself something you've been wanting. Read a new book. Visit a museum. Anything to keep yourself alive and happy.

You can get thru this.
By the time I got home last night, it was too late for a bath, but I DO LOVE them and plan on soaking in a nice bubble bath tonight. This weekend I'm off to a new area to listen to some live music; it's been awhile since I've been to a bar type venue but I need to get out of the house!

I DO need to remember to not just work/comehome/work/comehome type of thing--isolation leads to a bit of the blues...

Thanks so much for your support, Least!