Notices

Support Requested

Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
It is. I am 20 months and I still get cravings sometimes. I don't even have to have a bad day to get them. And yes there are somedays I just want to throw my hands up and say "what is really the point of all this?"

I measure my success in the fact I don't give into them anymore. That is success to me. I can ride them out and know that I have different ways of coping with them now. And that makes me feel good .
Thanks, LadyinBC. Yeah, the swell of a craving really feels discouraging at times, but I just have to ride it out. To tell ya the truth, I don't need a bad day either to get one, but, when I HAD a VERYBADDAY yesterday it was a tidal wave of a craving. However, with all the support on here, I got through it and even managed some sleep!

I am feeling good that I have made it this far, and I thank you for reminding me of that success.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm smiling reading your posts. I'm so glad you're rising above the bad feelings.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Ophelia. I occasionally felt that way my first couple of years sober. All we can do is ride it out - and do what you're doing - reaching out for suggestions. Posting here, tv, reading - anything to distract ourselves until the weirdness leaves. I'm sure others will have some thoughts. Proud of you for not caving.
Hevyn,

Thank you so much. You WERE right about the "weirdness" leaving…

In the midst of it, I don't think it's ever going to leave. I have to trust that it does, and I'm glad I trusted you last night that it would b/c it did (for the most part…still having aftershocks of some of the turmoil but MUCH better than last night!)

I took your suggestions and rode it out with a combination of methods-->this site and everyone's suggestions/support, tv, food, and ibuprofen!

I appreciate your words and YOU!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I felt that way too early on - not often, but enough to be upsetting. Those thoughts have almost entirely left me now. We relied on it for so long to help us cope (even though it didn't). It's bound to haunt us for a while, but we know where it will take us - there's no relief in picking up - just more anxiety and misery.
How true, and knowing this truth is what ultimately prevented me from stopping off to pick up two bottles of wine before I returned home last night from work.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by jmnyc View Post
My mom used to always tell me to just go to bed and that tomorrow was a new day. When I was drinking, I thought that was crap. But I've come to find that if you can sleep, it actually works!
jmnyc,

I want to thank you for your sweetness when I was feeling so crappy last night. I did actually get some sleep; your mom was right…wise woman. Thank you for taking the time to support me when I was down.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ophelia,

I can definitely relate to the routine of work, go home with work I either did not get to that day, or work that was due tomorrow, than go back to work and start over. I was on top of things at work, but somewhere along the way, I lost myself. Stopped seeing friends, saw family only when I had to, always thinking of getting home to get more work done. That's an insane way of living, if you can call that living. Eventually just stayed home and drank and worked. Had to drink a lot just to be able to unwind enough to sleep. Did this for many years. Fortunately, I realized what I was doing to myself, and made some changes. Today, my priority is me and my health, including finding a balance in life. Try giving yourself a break, even if its a small one. Make yourself go to a movie, or listen to a band, etc. Wanting to drink when all you do is work, work, work. That makes sense to me. Try to give yourself a break. Be nice to yourself. Take that bath, or just take a walk. You certainly deserve that and much more.