Notices

new here

Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

Dear friends,

I am new here and have been debating for awhile whether or not to make a post. I decided it is time. I have watched my older brother go through many bad periods of live - drugs. He has flunked out of college, put his family through hell, and ruined all relationships with my parents and myself.

I am in college studying to be a computer networking/cyber defense guy - however at the same time I am training for a commercial pilots license. I am always busy and don't have time for many social events.

Whenever I do have time for social events, I find myself getting drunk with friends. Before I always looked at it as, well we are in a college town and practically everyone is either stoned/drunk out of their mind all the time (sad I know) so I don't think it is that bad. Now that I look at it, I feel bad. I can go through a bottle of wine in a night or two tonights. My friends like to bug me because I'm Russian - 100% born in Russia too. As the sterotype goes, I love vodka. So I end up having mixed drinks all the time. The worst day this year was right after winter break I lost count how many drinks I had and ended up having half a handle of vodka. I never felt worse in my life before. I could barley move all day.

I never drank that much vodka ever again. I haven't been drinking vodka a lot lately, but wine has been my drink of choice. I feel like things aren't looking good for me. I am always going out 1-2 times a week re stocking my supply just for myself? Sometimes I drink with friends and other times by myself.

The FAA does random drugs tests and alcohol tests on pilots before flights. The law says nothing within 12 hours. I never dared test that limit to this day. I am just hoping I stay safe.

What are your thoughts guys? Does it sound like I am going down the wrong path? Any suggestions would be grateful. Alcoholism runs through my Russian/Ukrainian family greatly.

Maksim
Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! I'm glad you found this forum.

I see why you are worried about alcohol. You have a lot of red flags.

Keep reading and posting. There's a lot of support here.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome. I'm glad you decided to post.
My drinking experience was as a total drunk. Drinking heavily evey day or every other day.
Of course, it took me years to build up to that point.
I worked my way up to vodka, from beer, at the end, too. It was bad. I was drinking it at 9am.

What I'm getting at, is that only you can decide whether you have a problem or not. Since you're here, I'm assuming you think you do.
Now may be the time to do something about your drinking. It can be progressive, as it was with me.
It sounds like you've got a lot going on and have a bright future. Why drink? Heredity could play a part. But my advice would be to see if you can stop drinking. If you find you can't, you may have a problem.

You'll find a lot of support here, so stick around. And best to you.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
All I can say,is once you get too far down the wrong path. By the time you realize you went the wrong way,there is no turning back.
Why chance it? How can drinking possibly help get you where you want to be?
Go down the path you know is the right way. I guarantee if you keep drinking sooner or later something is going to happen that you will wish you could take back.]
The more hooked,and the more you fall into a certain life style. The harder it is to change.
Keep coming back.
Fred
Old 03-25-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello

Nice to see you here. Have you seen the movie called "Flight" with Denzel Washington? I just saw it the other night.
This online community is a good start if you feel your drinking is out of control. Many supportive and non-judgmental people.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The problem with the 12-hour rule is that it doesn't account for the mental impairment that builds up over time from steady drinking.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome USAPilot.
My father was a Bosnian Croat, till he died of alcoholism. I found I had the slavic penchant to drinking to oblivion as well.
I'm trained as a Paramedic, never been on-road but worked on mine sites as the site medic. Somehow I managed to keep drinking while doing that. Never drunk on duty but certainly while on call. Actually, since the job was 24hrs, you could say I was drunk on duty every night.
It was never my intent, but it happened. Sooner or later you will find that you will take chances with your career, you will get away with it for a while and think you have everyone fooled but you don't. One day you'll get unstuck and have to face the disgrace and humiliation of facing up to your actions. See all your training, efforts and dreams get flushed down the sh*tter. Does not mean you are a bad guy but you do have an alcoholic tendency incompatible with your career choice.
I quit practicing as a Medic after that until I sobered up. I just didn't want to screw up to the detriment of a patient due to being too hangover or impaired.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think your use of the word "path" is spot on. I would encourage you to look 10 years down each.
One has you constantly on the edge, worried about testing, feeling bad physically even if you pass the tests, etc. And btw, the way you and i drink (drank!) 12 hours later I could still register on a bac test.
The other way looks like a young man focused on a great career, in great physical health, still hanging with friends but in a bit different way (designated drivers are beloved), girls (I never had a girl I was talking to say she wished i was drunk, but the opposite sure has happened), $ saved or spent on things other than drinking, dui lawyers, etc. Plus it sounds like you have quite a genetic disposition to alcoholism and the earlier you stop, the better!
I wish I had looked down the road at your age, I think you can guess the choice i would have made.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your great comments and support. I really appreciate it. It is very weird with me - I can go weeks without touching a drink, but then of course when I want to drink or go somewhere that it is provided, I always over do it and end up getting beyond drunk. Being able to drink a bottle of wine and still having vodka is clearly not good.

In response to friskme, yes I did see the movie. The trailer didn't really tell you that the entire movie was based on his drinking. It was a decent film, but having Washington in it might have not been the best choice. I don't know - still enjoyed it non the less.

I don't ever want to risk myself even being hungover and touching the controls of a flight deck. It is scary enough flying when low visibility! I plan to eventually being flying passengers on US Airways, Delta, or one of the major airlines. The airlines certainly don't mess around with this stuff. Even the slightest smell can get you suspended, fine, or even arrested.

Cheers,
Maksim
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Howdy pilot
Welcome & thx for posting. Since personally believe alcoholism is genetic/hereditary, I would join a recovery group or simply attend an aa mtg & decide for yourself where you stand. Esp since mentioning such a potentially lucrative career, I wouldn't want to see that wasted away coz of a disease that could have been brought to its knees
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Maksim
I merged both your threads here to save confusion.

It's really great you're looking at your situation now - I know you'll find wisdom support and encouragement here

D
Old 03-26-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi, Welcome aboard usapilot27.