Notices

Anabuse Experience?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anabuse Experience?

Hi there - anyone have any experiences (not medical advice) taking anabuse that they'd be willing to share? My psychiatrist has given me a prescription and, though he told me he's not in "the arm twisting business" haha, he thinks it's worthwhile. However, it is up to me when/if to start.

I'm frightened to take this because of the scary side effects, and I also know that I'm VERY sensitive to medication (take as little as possible), caffeine (avoid), nicotine (avoid), and yes, alcohol (can't effing stay away). I'm not worried about trying to drink per se, but worried about getting sick by not avoiding alcohol in other things like mouthwash, sauces and things in food, etc.

Would appreciate any personal experiences both pro and con as I make the decision. Worth noting, I'm now several weeks sober and though it's been VERY tough, so far so good. That said, I can't predict if there'll be another perfect storm that leads me into drinking again!

Thoughts? Bring 'em!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

My experience is limited but I'll offer what I know. Antabuse SEEMS to me to be a great "first step"... in that it's better than doing nothing at all. Long- term, however, I don't know anyone that it has really KEPT sober.

My mom always told me that if there really was a pill that really worked for weight loss, they'd never have to advertise it. People would flock to it without anyone spending the first penny on marketing. And so I feel about Antabuse. If it truly and completely worked and removed the obsession, yada yada, we'd all take a pill and be "fixed".

I re-emphasize though... I do think that taking antabuse is better than taking no action at all, and with that comes an admission of a problem with alcohol. Which is not a bad starting point.

best, s
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, believe me, admission of a problem is there! Therapy, nutritionist, anti-anxiety medication, etc. This is just the latest in a progression of treatment options. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Typically the dose is much less than they used to do. A double dose for the first 5 days to make sure there is plenty in your system and then half that daily. I did the regular treatment at a time I was having difficulty putting on the brakes years ago. I had no issues whatsoever with residual alcohol in any foods, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. None at all. For me at that time this was really a blessing. The compulsion to drink could never grow as I knew there was not an "out". Today, I don't take antabuse and feel the same way. I have no obsession as there is still no "out". It would be nonsense to do so. Then however that thinking was not fully implanted and Anabuse for me was extremely helpful in the least and a lifesaver at best.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I took it - had caffeine and had no side effects....but I went off of it when I wanted to start drinking again. Was careful though about foods, salad dressings, etc
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi JMNYC,

Your post made me wonder if Anabuse would have prevented me from drinking before I was ready to quit. Before I had hit bottom I avoided anything that might result in sobriety. In my own experience nausea, anxiety, the spins, withdrawal and the shakes in the morning was not enough for me to get sober, so I'm not sure how long chemically-induced nausea would work. As alcoholics we are pretty good at powering through misery, sickness, legal problems, broken families and broken arms to get high. But as one person said it was a good starting point for them, so maybe it will be a good start for you.

We need to remember that alcohol clears the system in a few days - the real damage (and thus the fight) has to go on between our ears in the old 'noggin. Work on changing that and you don't need to worry about the physical compulsion. For me 12 step work was key, but any group support network - especially the kind where you actually meet people and interact with them - is pretty key in my experience.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I never even went there. It was far too terrifying. But having said that, that was when I couldn't trust myself at all. Fortunatley, I got sober without it in the endxxx
Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was taking antabuse for a while. One thing I can tell you for sure, DON'T DRINK ON IT!!!! Make sure you are done with drinking before taking it. Sure, it's a bit help if you occasionally get a craving and need another reason not to drink. But if your cravings are frequent and strong, you might want to think twice. The reaction from drinking on it, I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Thought I was gonna die (but I kept drinking anyway!). Just sharing my experience, but your doctor knows what's best for you.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I've been on it for a few weeks with no side effects. I've been very pleased with it and will come off when I'm have a little more sober time under my belt.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on it by choice. I have no cravings but for me it is a safety net. I recently got diagnosed with Severe Anxiety Disorder which goes a hell of a long way to explaining why I drank. I get no side effects whatsoever. Whatever you do though DON'T DRINK ON IT! It is one heck of a nasty roller coaster ride. SERIOUSLY!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I find it a relief... but it makes me fatigued after it builds up in my system and I go off it. If I don't take it dissolved it gives me a tummy ache, but I am also sensitive to side effects of medication. I had a client once who died after drinking on it.... so don't drink. Ive never had a reaction to mouthwash, desserts dressings, perfumes..... Its been good for me......
Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was prescribed it too, and have been tinkering with the idea of actually taking it myself due to a recent development. The thing that scared the crap out of me about antabuse is, it'll take away the ability to drink(safely, anyway), but it doesn't take away the mental obsession to drink. I was worried, if I am approached with a triggering situation, my reaction would be to white knuckle it and be sober and miserable(angry/depressed) through the experience because I no longer have my crutch that I used to use.

You're seeing a psychiatrist which is good. Are you working with any sort of recovery program that would supplement the use of antabuse and assist in triggering situations? Personally, I've tried other meds for the addiction, Campral and Naltrexone, and I only took those and made no changes. Needless to say, I ended up drinking. I then heard about Vivitrol and thought that would be my cure all and I would never drink again on it. But again, with no changes, the shot alone didn't really do much. Supplemented with changes and trying different programs though, I've made longer sober strides than ever before.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jutam View Post
I find it a relief... but it makes me fatigued after it builds up in my system and I go off it. If I don't take it dissolved it gives me a tummy ache, but I am also sensitive to side effects of medication. I had a client once who died after drinking on it.... so don't drink. Ive never had a reaction to mouthwash, desserts dressings, perfumes..... Its been good for me......
I agree with this...I used to take it...it made me very tired so I cut down to half a tablet and that was easier. I never had a reaction to anything either.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Newman23, I do have a therapist but I'm in the midst of switching to a new one. My current therapist still doesn't believe I'm an alcoholic, I just have an "alcohol allergy" like a peanut allergy. So...yeah...

I also live in the city during the week and at the beach on the weekends, which is where she's located. I really need someone closer to see potentially twice a week on weekdays. In the middle of searching now, hoping I can find someone good who takes my insurance.

What's odd is that I'm not really triggered right now. Have been to dinners and things and not felt the urge to drink. I've had a few close calls, but nothing too difficult. That's usually how it is for me though, I can hold off for months after a detox and really not want to drink. And then it slowly creeps back.

I tried Campral/Naltrexone combo but it was while I was also over prescribed on a bunch of other stuff, like Librium, Trazedone, and an antidepressent, I forget which one. I was taking 15 pills a day and that's not counting the vitamins. But I was falling asleep everywhere, confused, and apparently not making any sense. I told my mother that 9 +2 = root beer, as if it was no big deal. So....went off everything. Sometimes medical assistance turns out to not be so helpful. :/
Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I take it and its been ok. Ive had no reactions to anything. It says it takes one drink to set it off unless your sensitive and tells you to check for this by putting alcohol (I guess rubbing or some such) on your skin if the skin flushes you're sensitive an should be very careful.

Ive had no issues and use deoderant wih alcohol and a face wash which might have it to. and hand sanitiser which is almost all alcohol.

I once felt strange from fumes from industrial white spirits when I had taken a pill an hour earlier, broke out in a sweat flushed face, but it will do that a bit anyway.

I like them I'm going to take them for 6 months which should end PAWS. Im also getting therapy and checking in with the doctor. I dont think its emough on its own, Ive done that before and just stopped taking them out of frustration, you need to get to the root of your problems, but they can give you some breathing room.

All the best with it.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you are scared enough of the side effects it could work well for you in buying you time to make changes in your life to Dort out your alcoholism.

I took it for 5 months and didn't drink. I did not avoid coffee or nicotine, actually the opposite! Antabuse reacts to alcohol not nicotine or caffeine, just FYI.

After the 5 months my psychiatrist said I could come off of them because we had done sufficient work with the counselling that my prognosis was good....the next day I was drunk! So like I said use the sober time wisely ad Antabuse is a temporary crutch to allow you to get help.

AA worked for me...once I had tried everything else and had nowhere left to turn:-)