Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Telling my story for the first time this week and scared

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will have a year of sobriety on April 6th. Today my friend in the program called me and asked me if I would be willing to tell my story at my homegroup this Wednesday. I talked to my sponsor about it and she said I could so I said yes eventhough I want to not do it run and hide. I cant even talk for 5 minutes in a meeting and I am going to talk for an hour. Im terrified. My sponsor told me to write things down and say a prayer and turn it over to god. What if people hate my story? What if what I say no one gets or I confuse them or say the wrong thing. These are the things going through my head. Tonight Im going to write down some notes for my story. Wish me luck in telling my story. I feel honored to have been asked to tell it.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tell it to us first!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Good luck Anoronha!! Your story might help someone be strong for them.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Tell it to us first!
Absolutely Agree! Tell it here first. You will get applause and questions. We are anonymous fans. Practice it here first. This will help you to become prepared and confident for your big moment on stage!

And... Congratulations on 1 Year!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

When I hit a year of sobriety I went to my regular in service homegroup just to be at a meeting. Like you, I was asked to speak but I had no chance to chance to prepare...

I remember standing up there and receiving a shell leigh (because I was living in Hawaii at the time) and They told me to share "how it was, what I did to get sober, and how things are currently."

even though I knew many people there in the meeting I still didnt know if they would care about what I had to say. While speaking I noticed some of the maybe 30+ people in the room nodding their heads and some smiling along with me. At one point I didnt know where to go with the story and I expressed that out loud. I was encouraged by members at that meeting to continue and all of this made me feel welcome and as though what I was saying mattered to them.

After speaking everyone clapped and cheered for me and many people shook my hand and/or gave me a hug and thanked me for speaking. Then we all had some cake and I made even more friends that night than ever before in AA.

Looking back on that day, I realize there was really nothing to worry about because I was with my homegroup and the people of AA were there for me and I was there for them.

I have heard a lot of people say they dont know what to say and are not sure if they can speak for the time allotted - 5,10,15,30,1hr... And it never fails to amaze me that those people always go over their time and say A LOT with their story.

The best part about speaking is you help yourself and others at the same time. Don't stress it. Your about to reach your first "birthday" and you should feel proud for the hard work you've put in to be here today.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I say a prayer to my higher power to give me the words someone needs to hear.

You'll do well!!

Hugs & love to you!!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on your upcoming anniversary. I agree with others. Say a prayer, and read ryno's post again. I've heard quite a few speakers in my short time.
I only had one that I wish to critique. She spoke for an hour and all she did was tell war stories. Ask for a formula. Remember, it's experience, strength and hope. You'll do fine I'm positive. And be ready for:

Old 03-23-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can't screw up the truth. Speak straight from the heart. There is no right story or wrong story. It is just your story. No one is critiqueing you. There is not a story that AA measures all other stories up to.

Just talk about what is was like, what happened and what it is like now.

Share your story from the heart. You can't forget your story.

Even if you leave out something, don't worry cuz no one knows your story.

It is easy. We all are just people. No need to impress. Just be yourself.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To speak the truth will set u free. Don't hide what u are and what u have done because u will never be free from it. We are all here because of an addiction don't feel that u can be judged if that was the case no one would ever have a chance to change. Tell ur story here first and if u feel u can't are u trully ready to deal with and learn from whatever it was that causes u so much pain. No one is here to judge u we are all for each other because we all understand. Xxxxxxx
Old 03-23-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Here is an idea for how you might like to start. Keep it in line with what Deeker said (and BTW that was very nicely put Deeker. "You can't screw up the truth". I like that! ) It will be the truth, so it's ok.

“I want you all to know that I am extremely nervous tonight. I'm going to do my best to fill the time that has been given to me but I may not be able to. If not, I want others to share after I do. I can only do my best. I hope you can forgive me if I become even more nervous or this does not go well.

OK here goes, my name is Anoronha and I'm an alcoholic.

I was born at a very young age

You can do it girl. Go get um!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feel safe I too am an alcoholic and come from a long line of them. Be brave knowing u are here with people that understand. I've been to jail for my drinking don't be afraid of speaking out because other people may see themselves in u and know that life can get better
Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Anoronha,
Well done for the year.
Remember your story may help others.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Congrats on a year! I bet once you start speaking it will start flowing out.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I told my full backstory three weeks ago this Wednesday at my home group. From a public speaking perspective ask your sponsor to sit across from you. If you get nervous fixate on your sponsor and think of it as you tell him/her something.

Speak from the heart. I choked up during parts of mine. Its real and there was real emotion involved. Afterwards I felt a hundred pounds lighter. Its cathartic and part of the recovery process. You will be glad you did it.

People will feel a greater connection to you and it will help you feel a great sense of community with you HG.

Awuh1's suggestion is a very good one to start it off - but it needs to be your own words. Try practicing out loud in the mirror to yourself and make sure the words are authentic, not what you think people might want to hear. If your authentic it does not matter what you say people will be engage because the truth is inspiring.
Good luck.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ive done a few open talks and learned some things from them, and from what othes have experienced:
DONT picture everyone naked!! its rather a scarey picture.
notes can confuse and ive seen them thrown away real quick.
pray for guidance.
people already know the drinkin thing. the thinkin thing that got me drinkin seems to be a btter way to go.
speak from the heart.
keep it simple.
as long as I don't pass out,barf, or drink, they go good.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It helps me even to this day when I say a little prayer: "Please guide my thoughts and words."
Very few of us have public speaking backgrounds. It's the feelings expressed by our words and tears that are identified by most. Whenever a speaker says they are scared and shaking most can identify and give a hand.
A talk from the heart is so rewarding and cleansing.

BE WELL