Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What were your biggest reasons? And, was it "worth it"?

Notices

What were your biggest reasons? And, was it "worth it"?

Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What were your biggest reasons? And, was it "worth it"?

Pretty simple topic, 2 questions for you:

1. What would you say were the biggest reasons you started drinking?

2. Was it "worth it"?

For me:

1. I'd say the biggest reasons I started drinking were (in no particular order):

- a general lack of happiness in my life; for the longest time that I can remember I guess-timate I had a baseline "happiness level" of 60/100 due to a lousy childhood both at school and at home as well as just being a loner most of my life even into my current adulthood....... when i had my first drink the "happiness level" seemed to shoot up to 110/100 almost instantly, i thought to myself "so THIS is what it's like to feel normal"

- to take my mind off my otherwise untenable financial situation at the time.......... I'd say this is also the biggest reason I KEPT drinking, alcohol just seems like a magical "everything is alright" potion when you are on it, it blanks out your mind and lets you "escape" from all your current troubles or worries, if only for a few hours

- the simply amazing feeling of a good buzz

- to cope with boredom and/or enhance my TV, video gaming, or youtube watching experience

2. Was it "worth it"?

a resounding NO, the first week of withdrawal was quite possibly the WORST week of my life and that horrific experience will forever be etched in my memory as a reminder of what alcohol can do to your body......... and I had a pretty rough time growing up so that is saying something

I'm interested to read your responses, I predict a lot of common themes being bounced around in this thread.......

Let's compare notes here, don't be shy now...... go on, let it all out
Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me I always drank but could control it...then when I bought my house 4 years ago I started drinking everyday because I was always outside or working around the house and drinking always went with drinking until it turned into an everyday deal and NOOO not worth it
Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started drinking a glass of wine before the kids got home from school so my teenage daughter wouldn't be able to "engage" me in a fight. It took me less than a year before I was drinking all day, every day. And no, it wasn't worth it.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Started drinking daily to deal with work stress/obligations . . . absolutely wasn't worth it. It caused increased anxiety, general sadness, a disconnection with my family, a fuzzy mind, and weight gain. It destroyed my confidence in myself. I'm so glad that I stopped.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Started drinking because of depression and no it was not worth it. I lost my family
Old 03-22-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank to feel diffrent , it was not worth it
Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I used it to feel more comfortable in social situations. It was fun briefly - long ago. Then it became a necessity and my life crumbled. NO not worth it.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To relax my mind, feel euphoric for a while.

Seemed worth it until the hangover the next day.

Unfortunately, over time, the price of that euphoria became too high.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To have fun! Was a teenager.

Just didn't end up that way.

Was it worth it? I guess it brought me to where I am and I have learned a lot so I would say yes.
I never would have examined my life had I not been an alkie.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To be accepted by my peers and mix socially.
Was it worth it? Have to say no to the harm it caused.

However, I would never had found this spiritual path had I not hit rock bottom. I would not be learning the things Im now learning about life and myself and my own evolving and growing personal relationship with God had I not lived the way I did.
I had to go through it to start to come to know who I truly am by realizing who I'm not.
So yes it was worth it in the end and I don't deal in regrets anymore.
We move forward.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great thread...

Preferred fantasy to reality
Liberated my 'feelings' - although the feelings it liberated were not authentic e.g. for love read mawkish sentimentality and handing my will and life other to the care of other people...etc, etc
Uncomfortable in my own skin
Became my second skin - was always so sensitive & no means to live life as it presented itself, drinking helped me feel invulnerable
Loved the relief - drinking was my sigh of relief, until it wasn't anymore...

Was it worth it? Well feel that I've lived a life where I've learned an awful lot, which is unlikely to have happened without my alcoholism. It's certainly not been dull
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank and used to pacify and take away the pain.

Yes, I believe it was worth it. It was part of my process to get to where I am today, which I would not trade for any amount of money. Would I ever go back, of course not, even for a day. However, every awful thing I did got me to this point in my life, which I am entirely grateful for, no matter how hard or painful it was at times.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cathryn2001
weight gain. It destroyed my confidence in myself.
This doesn't get mentioned much even on sites like this, but I notice weight gain tends to go hand in hand with this disease. There seems to be a lot of truth to the "beer belly" theory, when we are drinking we become lazy and forget to exercise or put it off until "tommorrow" or "later"..... neither of which ever comes of course. I know this was def the case with me.

Just speaking personally, I was recently looking at some old photos from 2010 out of curiosity and I had a realization...... i've REALLY balooned up since then. When I look in the mirror these days and do a side-by-side it is painfully obvious. I also compared my current weight to my weight back then, I became 27 pounds heavier over that time period.

So now on top of the alcoholism disease, I have some extra pounds to lose. Drug dependence really seems to have that "snowball effect" with regards to your health, wouldn't you say?

at first it's just the abuse of said drug, then you put on some pounds, then you don't sleep as well, then you don't feel so good during the day, then you lack energy, then your nutrition is off, then you're depressed, then you're on meds, then your social life is suffering, then this, then that...... then X ..... then Y ...... then Z
Old 03-23-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
This doesn't get mentioned much even on sites like this, but I notice weight gain tends to go hand in hand with this disease. There seems to be a lot of truth to the "beer belly" theory, when we are drinking we become lazy and forget to exercise or put it off until "tommorrow" or "later"..... neither of which ever comes of course. I know this was def the case with me.

Just speaking personally, I was recently looking at some old photos from 2010 out of curiosity and I had a realization...... i've REALLY balooned up since then. When I look in the mirror these days and do a side-by-side it is painfully obvious. I also compared my current weight to my weight back then, I became 27 pounds heavier over that time period.

So now on top of the alcoholism disease, I have some extra pounds to lose. Drug dependence really seems to have that "snowball effect" with regards to your health, wouldn't you say?

at first it's just the abuse of said drug, then you put on some pounds, then you don't sleep as well, then you don't feel so good during the day, then you lack energy, then your nutrition is off, then you're depressed, then you're on meds, then your social life is suffering, then this, then that...... then X ..... then Y ...... then Z
What is it you want to accomplish? Seems to me that you want to focus on the shame of the past...although maybe I am wrong. I just don't see how this helps.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To the original poster: in answer to your questions:

1) Anxiety and out of control feelings regarding changes in my life that were unexpected and unwanted. I hardly drank prior to that. But then, instead of coping in more healthy ways, I drank. And continued to drink everyday for 12+ years.

2) Confused on this question. Not sure what you're asking?
Are you asking was the drinking worth it? Good God No!
Everything I should've done 12+ years ago I am having to do now.

Or are you asking was the QUITTING worth it?
Oh God, YES, unequivocally. In every way imaginable it is worth it!!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ

2) Confused on this question. Not sure what you're asking?
Are you asking was the drinking worth it? Good God No!
Everything I should've done 12+ years ago I am having to do now.

Or are you asking was the QUITTING worth it?
Oh God, YES, unequivocally. In every way imaginable it is worth it!!
Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant to ask "was the drinking worth it?"

Obviously quitting is worth it
Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

1. What would you say were the biggest reasons you started drinking?
Binge drinking occurred after years of ongoing personal issues that therapy and medication weren't helping. Last February got a diagnosis of cancer. It hadn't spread and treatment was just surgery but every three month followups to see if it had spread to the lungs sent me over the edge. The combination of other issues and having the crap scared out of me sent me over the edge and I have to admit I pretty intentionally became an alcoholic to cope since other stuff wasn't working.

2. Was it "worth it"?
Honestly yes. Therapy and antidepressants weren't working. Late January of this year docs thought I had a recurrence of cancer to the lungs. Hidden boozing got discovered by family right at this exact time, went through lung surgery, discovered it was NOT cancer, some weird benign thing. That said this kicked me into action on the booze thing and eliminating that bad habit and having to take new approaches to other issues. Sorry to say but the cancer scare issue this winter may well have been the best thing that ever happened to me. Antidepressants seem to be working MUCH better now that booze is out of the picture.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

1 - I have serious OCD that could be tempered by alcohol

2 - I feel emotionally empty, alcohol brings back happiness and sadness

3 - I'm bored with my life

Alcohol was a subpar fix-em-all for these things, there are real solutions out there but they are more difficult to implement.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I started drinking at 14 so I guess it was just something to do at first - to have fun, party, etc.

Yes, it was worth it to me for a very long time.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Grubby

1) Started because at 14 yrs i felt lost, alone, afraid, different and less than. Booze gave me the wings to fly....

2) Not worth it because at 52 yrs i ended up that 14yr old again lost, alone, afraid, different and less than. And staring death in the face.
Booze took away the sky......

Nearly a year sober and i can feel that fresh breeze under my wings.....

G