Notices

Just been diagnosed peripheral neuropathy

Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just been diagnosed peripheral neuropathy

Has anyone had success in treatment for this? As in reduction of pain with medication? (Looking for first hand experiences, not doctor advice)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear. what did your doctor suggest? What is the underlying cause?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dunno what this disease is, hope you have a good health-care plan. Wish you the best.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its caused by alcohol. Ethanol has a direct toxic effect on the nerve and it also leeches the body of B vitamins needed to maintain a healthy nervous system. I have numbness, stabbing pains etc
Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im already on a variety of inneffective prescriptions. The next step is an intravenous lidocaine infusion.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have no experience with it, hope you can get treatment to help. I noticed you've posted several times the past few years with assorted neurological symptoms and asked about possible links to your drinking. Has your doctor suggested a link? Are you still drinking?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Frank

Originally Posted by dancook99 View Post
Has anyone had success in treatment for this? As in reduction of pain with medication? (Looking for first hand experiences, not doctor advice)
Yes, in my feet and pinky fingers. Doctors give me max doses of Ibuprofen. Acetaminofen also works but in high doses it will affect your liver. I assume you are also a type 2 diabetic? They can give you meds to help keep your sugar level balanced also.

Frank
Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I have no experience with it, hope you can get treatment to help. I noticed you've posted several times the past few years with assorted neurological symptoms and asked about possible links to your drinking. Has your doctor suggested a link? Are you still drinking?
The penny has finally dropped with the doctors. Im not drinking thank god, quit in spring 2011. Unfortunately my drinking and symptoms got a lot worse since I posted in 2009. Was on the 1.5 litre bottles of imperial vodka, delivered straight to the front door. (How conveniant!) If only I'd followed the sensible advice on that thread and made peace with it and quit. Going to AA tomorrow because I've had the strongest desire to drink since 2011 because this pain is annoying as hell.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not diabetic fjd.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suffer from nerve pain too.
You have my sympathy, Dan.

When I find something that works for good, I'll let you know
Exercise seems to help me - I'm not sure why.

D
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah excerise is a more effective pain killer than morphine.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that, I too keep getting numb hands and feet, on and off, I take it it's the damaging effect of alcohol on the nervous system.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I too have peripheral neuropathy. I was diagnosed with it about a year or so ago. My doctor prescribed Vit B12 and Amitryptaline. B vitamins affect nerve function and Amitryptaline deals with the nerve pain. I also take Gabapentin to control nerve pain from a chronic back injury which I think probably also helps with the pain. I have noticed that when I eat a diet higher in carbs or sugars the pain in my feet is worse so I am working hard on changing my dietary habits and cut the carbs and sugars to a minimum.

I do wish you the best. The pain and symptoms can be managed but for me it is still noticeable, kind of like a fly in the room can be noticeable.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you familiar with the PN subforum on Neurotalk? If not, there is a lot of information there. If allowed I will post a link later when I'm near my PC.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will try to cut sugars and carbs out.

I will ask about B12 thats been on my mind for a long time.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OK, as promised: a thread about alcohol and neuropathy: Alcohol induced neuropathy - NeuroTalk Support Groups

The main PN section: Peripheral Neuropathy - NeuroTalk Support Groups

Dee is absolutely right: if at all possible, keep moving. Don't exaggerate, but do try to keep active.

Also: what nandm says is extremely important: my biggest improvement happened when I changed my diet and deleted sugar/simple carbs. I went from wheelchair to being able to dance for an hour during a Chic concert (and no, I am not joking).

Do not buy into miracle cures, there are none. Sensible supplements and a good diet can help. There is a lot that you can try safely - but I am not a doc and this is not medical advice.

Good luck and try to not get too stressed out about it. Stress is often a killer when it comes to PN.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks! Yeah stress makes it worse, I went out to pub tonight and sat in a grump not talking to anyone...should have gone to AA instead.

My pain therapist says I need 'a reason'. Lord knows I haven't found it yet, I'm a mess.

Also: that's an amazing achievement Chief! Im seriously considering buying a walking stick myself.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I had it in my feet and really bad in my hands. I quit drinking, cleared right up.