Notices

Day 4 and 5, still feeling good.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Abistence- 03-18-2014

Day 4 and 5, still feeling good.

So this last Friday I had a sober get together with the neighbors as a favor to me. It went well, and I left when beer got involved at around 9pm. Last night though I think was my first real challenge.

I was at home, trying to find stuff to do to keep my mind off of drinking. Cleaning the house, etc. I was in the middle of watching The Departed when my bud called totally hammered. He wanted me to come pick him up at the bar. My first thought was "Feck! Why me? Can't you call someone who isn't on their first week trying to avoid alcohol like the plague?" Though not wanting him to drive drunk, I said yeah.

So I get there, and he (of course) wants to drink more. I know the feeling, and I'm sure he doesn't even remember calling me for a ride 20 minutes earlier. I found myself not really even phased by his or everyone else's drinking though. I sat with a water in my hand and waited for probably a good thirty minutes until he was ready to go.

Needless to say this, today I woke up and felt extremely proud of myself. A week ago, the night would have just got started had I gone to the bar. A week ago today, I would have woken up wondering what in God's name I did that I'm going to regret. Today, however, I'm feeling good and got to look at myself in the mirror and give a little self praise.

So here's to a good Sunday, lets hope Monday is just as awesome. Keep going strong everyone, one day at a time.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

That's a great story, Nate!

You face two difficult situations and came out sober. I'm so proud of you!

Keep it up!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats great to hear, you are braver than I am- I hated being around others who were drunk even when I was drinking. You are a good friend and should be proud you were in good shape and could help out.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Aar. I'm happy I turned out ok during that.

Oh I was nerous Mn. Very nervous. The whole ride there I'm giving myself the f bomb once over. "Don't f up your sobriety Nate. Don't do it. Get there and get the f out, that's all." I had a lot of doubt in myself until I got there and found that the temptation to even have a beer just wasn't there. Maybe it was because I got to see how others were acting that made me go "Wow.. this was me." I was just super relieved that the temptation to have one wasn't there. Thanks for the likes and the replies all.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job, Nate. You are a true friend not to let a friend drive drunk.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Great job, Nate. You are a true friend not to let a friend drive drunk.
I try to be. Even during my most hammered nights I never drank and drove or rode with someone who was drunk. I messed up a lot of things while drinking, like trying to get into someone's house that wasn't mine. Drinking and driving though has never been one of them thankfully.

I'm actually more happy he had the state of mind to give me a call so I didn't have to hear about a friend's death. Even with the urges still there, I'm happy to help a friend if they have the sense to ask for a ride.