Notices

This is what alcoholism does to you.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is what alcoholism does to you.

This image is so amazing, I had to share it.

Please be warned, this is from a "shock jock" radio show, so the comments are insensitive and vulgar, but the image really hit me.

The first image is from the 80s. This woman is only 50 years old.

Instagram
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does she appear on the Opie & Anthony Show? Has she told her story there?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well that's a bit scary. I agree with you about the comments.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Does she appear on the Opie & Anthony Show? Has she told her story there?
Yeah I guess they used to know her years ago, and they recently started interacting with her again, but until they had her in studio, didn't realize how bad things had become.

Sounds like they're trying to get her into a rehab. I don't have satellite radio, so I just hear bits and pieces online.

It's really unsettling hearing her physical and mental issues.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is sad actually. She looks to be in a lot of pain.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's awful. Yes, apparently she's an alky but I think it's really sh*tty they plastered a collage of her on the web. She's still a person, not deserving I'm sure of some of the comments
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am saddened by this, and even more saddened by the corresponding comments on the Instagram. I worry what we are losing as human beings by continuing to perpetrate mediums which seem to encourage people to try to top each other with horridness. I feel protective of people who suffer with alcoholism because I can understand how quickly it could get that bad, for any of us.

Thank you for posting this DB, my stomach flipped a bit. I suddenly thought that quitting drinking is a small price to pay for having the ability to plot my course in life instead of falling victim to such disrespect.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Yeah I guess they used to know her years ago, and they recently started interacting with her again, but until they had her in studio, didn't realize how bad things had become.

Sounds like they're trying to get her into a rehab. I don't have satellite radio, so I just hear bits and pieces online.

It's really unsettling hearing her physical and mental issues.
Well I hope she does get into rehab. She obviously looks terrible. According to the comments, she is only 52, but she looks like she is in her late 60's.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I am saddened by this, and even more saddened by the corresponding comments on the Instagram. I worry what we are losing as human beings by continuing to perpetrate mediums which seem to encourage people to try to top each other with horridness. I feel protective of people who suffer with alcoholism because I can understand how quickly it could get that bad, for any of us.

Thank you for posting this DB, my stomach flipped a bit. I suddenly thought that quitting drinking is a small price to pay for having the ability to plot my course in life instead of falling victim to such disrespect.
I realize that the entirety of it is harsh. But it is reality. And at the end of the day, these guys are millionaires who have literally taken in this woman who is living a life of alcoholic destitution, and offering her at least a chance at help.
As we all know, enabling is not a solution either.

The sideshow aspect of it is a double edged sword I guess. I agree that her being on the show feels exploitative, but then again, from what I heard, they started this as a goof, after talking to her on the phone, and they had no idea how bad she really was until she came in for the week. Now after seeing her in person, sick, and bloated, they are seriously looking to get a doctor there and offer help.

It has made me feel grateful. Because I honestly don't really see much difference between her and myself.

I was feeling kind of bad about my struggles and lack of progress, and this has really brought me around.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go look at a heroin junkies previous pictures.