Notices

"The Geographical Type"

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Question "The Geographical Type"

In a recent post a member of this forum used the term Geographical Drunk and this really resonated with me as I found out going to meetings that not only was I a alcoholic but also one of these varieties. It helped a lot to discover this, but it was a very difficult thing to see as a "runner" has no counsel or many people if any to refer to.

My first two years sober I moved, in the same city nine times. Before getting sober to stay I resided in eleven different states and found a strange solace as a over the road truck driver. Never had to drink while I was rolling. This was allfrom 1994-2002

At five years sober I am much better as my extreme geographical restlessness has settled down and changed into a more manageable restlessness. I do not like it though and would like it removed. Spring is close here and I am getting those fellings again. Does anyone have trouble with this alcoholic restlessness? How to deal?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but when I lived in another city I was wholly miserable. I drank because I hated where I was and the drinking only made it better at night but even worse during the day (hangover and anxiety). If I would have stayed there, I am sure I would have become a full blown alcoholic. Moving back where I wanted to be, I saw that my drinking habits became a little more normal and I began a desire to cut back - that was about six years ago.

As a military brat, I always get itchy feet. After I am in a town for 2 years, I get the urge to move. I love moving to new places.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Thanks for your sober post. I moved from the North East of the US all the way to Hawaii on the Pacific Ocean. I made the move because I was offered a opportunity there.

I moved 5x while living there only 3 years. Although I cannot relate fully to what you are describing I will just say that I was not happy. I look back now and I think to myself "What the F*ck you not happy about?! You were in Hawaii!!" It was never cooler than mid 60degrees, the weather was nice everyday, the people smiled and said hello when you looked at them (not like Boston where people would just say "WTF you lookin at?!", and the beaches were always open free with no of charge for parking!

I was ignorant and unappreciative while there to all these great things. I also found I was a Alcoholic. I remember saying I think I want to move somewhere else or NE was better and people telling me i was wrong some days and then other days telling people who wanted to move to the NE not to do it and naming all the things I hated about it.

I live in another state now and I am sober today. Looking back I realize was that alcoholism didn't allow me to be a whole and true person. Today, I like to hope I understand and appreciate where I am at.... But i recently decide I want to move again. This time its not because I don't like it where I am its because I feel I need something new. Why? No idea. I guess even sober, some of us are just never content. And I think that is OK as long as you are happy and appreciate where you currently are at.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No matter where you go on this world, there you are.