Notices

Signs of Alcoholism?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Signs of Alcoholism?

Some things I have been noticing about my boyfriend are becoming a real concern to me. Are these signs of an alcoholic?

1. Sweating profusely
2. Shakiness
3. Sleeping a lot or not at all (insomnia)

I know he has been stressed over losing his job, and has been drinking more frequently lately, at least when we are together. I don't know how he drinks when I am not there, but pretty sure it's more than I would like.

Advice?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can understand your concern about your boyfriend's health. Given that he is likely fairly stressed out over losing a job, the symptoms you describe are not solely indicative of a drinking problem - could be stress, anxiety or some other medical condition. Drinking more to cope with stress isn't even necessarily a sign - plenty of non-alcoholics can drink more than is "healthy" without the addictive component.

I would consider encouraging him to see a doctor if the physical symptoms continue and he feels like they are a problem. If he thinks he might have a drinking problem (i.e. it's his own idea) then that is more of an indicator that alcohol is an addictive factor in his life. Hope it shakes out for him and you.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They're certainly signs of alcoholism, but could be other things as well. It's logical to think that someone who's recently lost their job could be suffering from depression or anxiety, which fits some of those symptoms as well. Still, if your intuition brought you here, chances are the context of what you're seeing has some merit.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, no.

The person I know suffering from alcoholism doesn't sweat profusely, shake, or have trouble sleeping at all. Quite the opposite. He's on slow but surely pathway to hell.

He goes straight home from work each day via his local watering hole and has two to three cold ones. This is in spite of the fact that he is now three months behind on his rent....on an apartment he just moved into in December! If he doesn't turn all his rent in by this Friday, the apartment complex is going to kick him out, and then sue him. Of course, he has no idea I know these things and would never admit to them in a million years. And why should he? He works 45-50 hours and a week and never misses a day's work.

This is the sign of an alcoholic, in my opinion. Sober people live in reality. Alcoholics live in a house made of cards. This is why so many of them end up out in the street. They "think" they're fooling you. Unfortunately, In the end, the only person they've been fooling is themselves.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's just a label. Whatever label you put on it, these are not signs of a healthy person.

Sexting other women and blaming his behaviour on drink is not a sign of a mentally healthy person. That's manipulation, making you feel bad for challenging him, blaming his actions on something else.

Whatever you call it, he is drinking more than you are comfortable, he himself says he has a problem.

Surely that's enough?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by shil2587 View Post
Sexting other women and blaming his behaviour on drink is not a sign of a mentally healthy person. That's manipulation, making you feel bad for challenging him, blaming his actions on something else.
Did I miss something in the OP?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

shil2587, your misinformation is way off the mark and could be detrimental to the OP!

MissTiff, I agree with others that the stress he is currently under could be causing all of those symptoms alone. Could drinking be adding to it? Yes. Could he be approaching dependence on alcohol? Based on the small amount of information you have given, Yes.

Still though, I would tread very carefully right now as your boyfriend sounds as though he may be very fragile right now. It is probably not the best to time to confront him. Let his work troubles simmer down and then when he seems to have calmed a bit you could try talking to him about it. You may be prematurely worrying about a situational trigger to drink that will go away if his job woes clear up.

Monitor the situation silently for now and wait for the dust to settle before you act.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unfortunately,there is no test to determine if someone is an alcoholic.
The signs you mention could be extreme hangovers. They could also indeed mean he is an alcoholic.
In some cases it's obvious someone is an alcoholic. In most it isn't so obvious,because most of us try to hide how much we drink. But hiding it isn't exactly a prerequisite either.
I think you need more telltale signs to make a decision in my opinion.
While losing a job is no reason to drink all the time,it is devastating,and a LOT of normal people will get good and drunk over it. BUT they don't keep on doing it over and over.
I know I'm not much help,but maybe something in there makes some sense.

Fred
Old 03-17-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Did I miss something in the OP?
I think shil is responding to other information posted in Friends and Family by the OP--
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like Anxeity to me .

Its a lot rougher than people think .

Darn near made me eat a bullet .

Id think im pretty tough , smashed the end of a finger off , had 152 stiches in my face , and numerous broken bones ,raced motorcycles , rode bulls , had bar fights , boxed .
But im no match for anxiety .

It will break you -Quick .

I could not handle Anxeity Attacks , I almost ate a bullet several times .

The toughest people on earth cant handle those .
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not necessarily alcoholism. It also may be anxiety. Suggest that he see a Dr. I have anxiety and years ago when my husband and I separated for awhile i went through a terrible time of waking up all night in a cold sweat, shaking, and then sleeping during the day and not wanting to get out of bed. My children and I all suffer from it, and I can tell you it's miserable.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wolfpackfan45 View Post
Not necessarily alcoholism. It also may be anxiety. Suggest that he see a Dr. I have anxiety and years ago when my husband and I separated for awhile i went through a terrible time of waking up all night in a cold sweat, shaking, and then sleeping during the day and not wanting to get out of bed. My children and I all suffer from it, and I can tell you it's miserable.
It sure is Tough , I could not agree more
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Those are all signs of alcohol withdrawal. Frankly, some of the responses here are uninformed. I suffered through all those symptoms during my heaviest drinking period. They usually present the next day after a night of drinking and are indeed a sign of alcohol dependence.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Normal people drink occasionally and do not use alcohol as a way to combat stress. So if you take a life scenario like losing a job a normal person will be sad for a while then go out and find another job, a person with issues will take longer to bounce back and may use drugs or alcohol to cope. Whether he is an alcoholic or not at this stage is not clear.

If you want to find out watch his drinking, just watch over time, and see if he can stick to the amount of alcohol he intended to drink at the beginning of the night or whether he feels he has to keep drinking until he is totally pissed? Generally alcoholics find it very difficult to have a couple of drinks and stop over time.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Those are all signs of alcohol withdrawal. Frankly, some of the responses here are uninformed. I suffered through all those symptoms during my heaviest drinking period. They usually present the next day after a night of drinking and are indeed a sign of alcohol dependence.

I had the shakes too , at the end of a few days binge drinking .
Old 03-22-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was the same as Wasting Life and Karate. Shakes, sweating, insomnia.

perhaps together you could both see a Dr?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Worst anxeity I had was after my last long binge .

Mind numbing anxeity . It was enough to stop me and Jim Beam
From being friends .

I had some bad attacks before I drank too .

As a friend says that had them too , I'd about rather die .
Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm never ever going back to that again. The anxiety with a hangover is absolutely miserable. I'm not saying ill never drink too much someday...that's too much to promise. I am saying that I'm done with that lifestyle nearly everyday. I haven't had the anxiety for about 5 weeks and I'm feeling fantastic.