Notices

First sober dinner party

Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sober dinner party

My wife and I hosted our first dinner party last night since I quit drinking 3 weeks ago. We had 2 couples over who we have a history with of enjoying nice dinners and wine, but nothing excessive. I was the only problem drinker in the group, which for me usually meant a "head start" on the party as I cooked and got ready.

I knew my wife would be antsy about have alcohol in the house, but I told her I really just wanted everyone to enjoy themselves, and it wasn't going to be a problem. I let her handle that part of the meal, and i cooked like usual, drinking diet pop rather than shots. She bought a bottle of wine and some hard cider. As it turned out, no one drank a drop! The wine and glasses sat there unused, and the cider went untouched. She swore she didn't say anything to our friends. I found out later 2 of the guests were having unusual, undiagnosed medical problems, so that was probably the reason.

I sent the cider home with someone else, and knowing my wife, the wine will sour in the refrigerator before we finally dump it- but I stayed sober and had a great time!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! I love entertaining and like you have bunches of friends where I'm the only "problem drinker." Next weekend will be meeting with my cooking group which I'm in charge of. It is not being hosted at my house but it will be the first big TEST of my sobriety. They do not drink excessively but I have no doubt there will be beer ad wine around. I am nervous. Quite sure my hubbie will be watching me like a HAWK. That said I do not expect the world to stop social drinking because I have a problem and the tests will start sometime... Good luck to you with your continued sobriety:-)

Smiles,

A
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good on you MnEman. I have been sober 9 months and have attended some social events in that time. When asked why I am drinking water or diet soda, I simply have responded that it is part of my diet & exercise regiment. (Since I got sober, I lost 50 lbs.) There is one particular couple we normally would over indulge with that I have avoided since my quitting. I'm not sure how they will take the fact that I am sober while they (admittedly) have drinking problems.
One day at a time, man. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go MnEman!