Notices

Nightmares

Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares

I am over four months sober and I have been having flashbacks during the day about my drinking days and nightmares at night. Like sometimes I will be doing something and I will remember the horrible dinner party at my sisters when I was so hungover and shaking and everyone was wondering what was wrong with me...

Last nights nightmare was the worst. I was sleeping in my childhood home with my parents. In the dream I was drinking all night. My mom and I had a huge fight and I was lying to her, telling her I hadn't been drinking. (All of this is what I used to do in reality.) So, I told my parents I was leaving and then this creature was chasing me down the street...I was running and running and then I woke up dripping in sweat...I had to take the sheet off the bed.

I'm sitting here feeling like ****. I couldn't get back to sleep after that and I'm on my second cup of coffee. Tonight I have my computer class and I got called for another job interview.

As I am typing, I am watching my dad out the window planting roses in the garden. My mom and I don't see eye-to-eye at all, but dad is such a good man, a kind man and I feel like the worlds worst daughter right now.

Sometimes when I pass by his chair and he is sitting in it, I ruffle his hair as a gesture of affection. I never realised I was doing it until my mom asked why I don't do it to her? I just looked at her and said "Dad doesn't roar and rant at me about his "two sick children"...

Does anyone else have nightmares like this? I used to only get them when I had cheese late at night, but last night I had some chopped fruit instead.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had chopped fruit last night too, strawberries, and also had some crazy nightmares. Never thought fruit would do that, but maybe we've stumbled upon something . I was going to suggest watching what you eat before bed and seeing how it affects you. Will take my own advice.

Don't wanna worry you anymore than necessary, but I'd be more concerned about the sweating than the nightmares. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but I don't sweat during the night, and even if accompanied by nightmares... I believe night sweats can be indicative of other health problems. Not a big fan of doctors, but I go when I have to. If the sweating happens regularly, I'd go for a visit.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

Hi Tetra - sorry you had such a hard night. Stay strong in your sobriety no matter what. Reading your post made me see a possible correlation between day time flashbacks and the monster chasing you down the street? That AV is pretty cunning, can't get you to drink during the day so here it comes in the night? Sometimes dreams can be a way of processing the things that are happening in our lives. IMO

Computer class and job interviews, positive stuff! Your dad will let the past go as you blossom in your sobriety, if he hasn't already. Let it go hon, doing the right thing now is what matters. So glad he warms your heart and your days.

And I thought your response to mom was perfect! I find it best to not engage to much with the difficult people in my life. Not always easy. But that was a good response. Don't stop the hair ruffle! I'm sure he loves it!

You're doing great Tetra. I'm rooting for you!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeap, since quitting, they come and go some nights of the week for me too, always wake up in a mild panic and then realise that it wasn't real.

Tetra, remember you haven't done anything wrong, your Sober 4 months, applying for jobs, going to interviews and attending your class. You've turned yourself around from 4 months ago!!

Any chance of catching a small nap before your computer class, might make all the difference?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have nightmares too ,seems like at least 2 nights a week .

After a couple bad nights ,I take the RX med I have for sleeping .
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tetra - What you are experiencing sounds like "Drunk Dreams" which is common in recovery. It could also be combined with night terrors, which is something I deal with every now and again even after years sober, and it too results in night sweats (which my wife LOVES ) Usually it happens during a period of stress in my life, which it sounds like jives with what you are handling right now. Interviewing for jobs is understandably stressful on top of all the other issues!

Practically speaking, I too am a big coffee drinker but maybe consider curtailing nighttime or afternoon cups - caffeine takes several hours to clear your system and can add to "sleep starts" (jumping in bed suddenly) and interferes with REM sleep- may be implicated in the night terrors too.

I also detect some typical "all or nothing thinking..." :i.e. "I feel like the "worst" daughter right now." Anytime we use language like "best, worst, all the time, never, always..." indicates we are probably thinking like our disease thinks and need to modify it to sober thinking. Truth is, you're not the "worst" daughter, and I'm fairly sure your father would say so. Even though you struggle with your relationship with your mother, keep in mind she is only human and despite lashing out at you loves you as well and will have her own issues to hash out - you can't control her behavior, but you can accept it even when it hurts (as long as its not abusive). Remember that our addiction is almost like a third party - it wants you to feel like crap so you'll feed it. If you moderate that thinking to something less brutal like "I feel like my drinking has disappointed my Dad in the past", then that's still getting your thought across without condemning yourself so harshly. You're only human, and you will never be perfect. It is perfectly normal to have fallen short in many respects - it is a defining aspect of humanity! But what makes exceptional people are those willing to do good in this world despite our failings. What you have here is a relationship that sounds wonderful between your father and you, and I would focus on what you can do for him today to show him you love and appreciate him. That kind of thinking will help keep you sober. What you did while drunk really doesn't matter anymore!

Stay sober and don't worry too much about the sleep disturbances. It sounds like if you aren't dealing with stress well in the waking hours, your mind is choosing to process it in your unconscious while sleeping. If it becomes bothersome for you, seek some counseling from a sleep therapist, but don't worry about it
Old 03-04-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go help your dad plant the roses.
Quality time
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on four months. That is terrific.