Notices

Why is alcohol so appealing?

Old 05-11-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back myheartaches. When I look back i also realized acceptance was my problem for many years. I tried desparately to figure out WHY I was different or why I could never drink "normally". I even got to the point in my drinking where the drinking itself provide no pleasure anymore - I simply needed to drink to avoid going into withdrawals every day. But yet I still drank.

What changed everythign for me was acceptance of the fact that I simply cannot drink any alcohol without the negative consequences - and will never know why I simply AM that way. Some call that surrendering, some call it acceptance, there's many different ways to go about it. But the one key thing that we all have to accept is that we simply cannot drink, not even one sip. It's not "Fair" or easy to do, but it's the only way to be free.

Once you do that a whole new world opens up - which is a much better one than the one alcohol kept us trapped in.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me, I realized alot of it is that it is pushed on us in every which direction. The government and alcohol industry make billions per year off of alcohol. The advertise it so. They always show you drinking corona on a hot summers day, bbqs, glass of wine with a steak, posh nightclub with beautiful people etc., its a biased view. Sure some of that happens, sometimes, but more than not, its the ugly part. The part they dont show.. nor are required too. I think truly it starts from such a young age that we dont even realize it.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In the first few weeks of recovery I asked someone in the rooms what the advantage of being sober is. Her reply: "you get to be present for your life". I was horrified because I never wanted to be present for my life. From a dysfunctional childhood I emerged with two default emotions: shame and fear. Getting drunk enabled me to escape that.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A Scary Thing To Admit

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
The problem with alcohol is that for many of us, it works!
It is incredibly powerful. My alcohol is categorized, and characterized, so in a way, my alcohol relationships are different. Certain drinks provide me with certain things, like enjoyment, relaxation, excitement, confidence. No wonder I haven't kicked it.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
In the first few weeks of recovery I asked someone in the rooms what the advantage of being sober is. Her reply: "you get to be present for your life". I was horrified because I never wanted to be present for my life. From a dysfunctional childhood I emerged with two default emotions: shame and fear. Getting drunk enabled me to escape that.
Thank you for sharing. The thing is, I don't get drunk anymore. I have learned to hate being drunk. I just abuse alcohol. I can't leave it behind.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi myheartaches,

Welcome back,

Alcohol has not appeal , it taste nasty it cost a lot and it is pretty much just fuel like gasoline a toxin for your body.

Your post brought me to my knees so powerful so me. This is what alcohol does for us addicted us makes us feel drunk and high so high so high that is why we put up with all the abuse with all these pretty girls walking alone in our past and all these pain but its all a lie. All for nothing there have to be a better life.

Have you ever heard this song Hymn for the weekend by Coldplay

So oh I oh I feeling drunk and high so high so high

Thats what we chase nothing else but we must break the pattern we deserve better

love for you xoxo
Old 05-12-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Very Honest

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back myheartaches. When I look back i also realized acceptance was my problem for many years. I tried desparately to figure out WHY I was different or why I could never drink "normally". I even got to the point in my drinking where the drinking itself provide no pleasure anymore - I simply needed to drink to avoid going into withdrawals every day. But yet I still drank.

What changed everythign for me was acceptance of the fact that I simply cannot drink any alcohol without the negative consequences - and will never know why I simply AM that way. Some call that surrendering, some call it acceptance, there's many different ways to go about it. But the one key thing that we all have to accept is that we simply cannot drink, not even one sip. It's not "Fair" or easy to do, but it's the only way to be free.

Once you do that a whole new world opens up - which is a much better one than the one alcohol kept us trapped in.
I really appreciate how honest you are. Thank you.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

🙏❤

Originally Posted by Healthyandsober View Post
Hi myheartaches,

Welcome back,

Alcohol has not appeal , it taste nasty it cost a lot and it is pretty much just fuel like gasoline a toxin for your body.

Your post brought me to my knees so powerful so me. This is what alcohol does for us addicted us makes us feel drunk and high so high so high that is why we put up with all the abuse with all these pretty girls walking alone in our past and all these pain but its all a lie. All for nothing there have to be a better life.

Have you ever heard this song Hymn for the weekend by Coldplay

So oh I oh I feeling drunk and high so high so high

Thats what we chase nothing else but we must break the pattern we deserve better

love for you xoxo
I love your analogy. You are so correct. It is nasty. It is a poison. It creates disease of the mind and body. I hate it. I want to hate it. Thank you Healthy and Sober.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like I suggested on another thread maybe it's not strength but acceptance you need acceptance of your condition and acceptance of your forever toxic relationship with alcohol?

D
Annnnd - big yes.

Alcohol has zero appeal to me now. By the end of my drinking, it sure didn't either. But now - at 2+ yrs sober- there is no fear nor appeal, no longing nor .... and indeed, "acceptance is the answer to ALL my problems." (BB p 417)
Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Encouraging!

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Annnnd - big yes.

Alcohol has zero appeal to me now. By the end of my drinking, it sure didn't either. But now - at 2+ yrs sober- there is no fear nor appeal, no longing nor .... and indeed, "acceptance is the answer to ALL my problems." (BB p 417)
I love hearing this. I feel that way abkut smoking - I did that for a long time but broke free 5 years ago, and detest them now.

I really see how wasteful it is to drink..
Old 05-14-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How wonderful!

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Annnnd - big yes.

I think yes, just admitting that alcohol is in the way and though my habit is not severe like it was in the past, it has very little purpose.

I don't need it.

Thank you for your support.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
zjw

I tihnk i just wanted to escape. I lacked the foresite to realize that booze wasnt the solution. I didnt even realize that it had actually become part of the problem and in many aspects of my life "the" problem.

I still want to escape at times and that kinda of bothers me. But these days I have other healthier outlets. and while it seems ilke it would just be so simple and easy to buy a case of beer and solve my problems for an evening I know its not really that simple far from.

I was also just stuck in that cycle unable to break free.

Now when I htink of that escape or that numbing out thing that I crave I realize this is just life. I just have to get through things theres not a quick fix and theres an arsenal of other thigns in my toolbox to keep me cranking along I really dont need to drink anymore nor do I want too.