Notices

triggers..sensitivity..and sr

Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I never feel like I'm walking on eggshells. I'm not triggered by anything on any website. Nothing on here really bothers me negatively except when my or anyone's faith is attacked. The most painful posts for me are the ones where someone has a family member who is an addict or is taken advantage of by an addict. My heart breaks reading those posts. I want to tell those people to RUN, leave those addicts whether it be your son/daughter or husband/wife. I pray for those who post those types of things.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

While it can be hard at times, especially when someone attacks another poster, the bottom line for me is RESPECT. Everyone's situation, background and experience is different and none of us have the right to judge or disrespect ANYONE who comes to SR.

I often hear my dear departed Mom in my ear... "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

Other than medical advice, I think just about any subject can be discussed.... if it is done with RESPECT.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What constitutes a trigger. Someone looking at me. Me breathing. Anyday of the week that ended in Y. I never needed no reason to go drinking. Everything centered in my mind, the way I thought. Another activity I do not do anymore is go to bars or clubs without a perfectly good reason to. I used to hit the strip club, drinking my coca-cola. I do not go to a horehouse, just for a kiss.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
You know, I've learned over many years that the proper adult response to any forum post (in a forum with rules) that bothers me is 'Alrighty then' and moving on to the next post. That doesn't mean I always abide by it, but I think that's the right answer....

^^this.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Maybe it's just me, but I would hope that in a forum like this, most things are open to discussion and talking about... Of course, not harsh, rude, or bashing language. But I think it would be beneficial for all to be able to be open and honest here in whatever their recovery process is.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cool

Hmmm, what is a trigger.........?

Some people like to call music a trigger, or a club a trigger, or this person or that person a trigger....... reality it, lack of recovery is the trigger.

Gosh 'n golly; I'm so tired of all the 'trigger this' and 'trigger that' and 'trigger,' 'trigger,' 'trigger,' 'trigger' ................... (ad infinitum) .... bleah!!!!!

Let's be honest here; the term 'trigger' is just the most current, politically correct term for...............c'mon now; we all know where this is going........they're.............................. EXCUSES....!

The only trigger I know of is Roy Roger's horse.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

But on the topic of the posts I don't like...

Not a fan when people come off a 4-day bender and start complaining on day one-and-a-half about what a jerk their spouse is. Frequently followed by a chorus of responses saying "Wow, your spouse is a creep. You should move out!"

1. If you're an alcoholic your spouse has likely endured quite a bit from you, and complaining about them before you've even detoxed is just poor form, IMO.
2. Even if you are a licensed marriage counselor (and you're not) you shouldn't be giving marital advice over the internet to people you've never met.

My $0.02
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have never felt that I had to walk on eggshells while replying to a thread. However, I have noticed that on the alcoholism forum there are times when a member is met with condescension after submitting a thread or post. Particularly if they have recently relapsed and are whining or extremely defensive.

I understand that sometimes a person who has recently lapsed and has come back whining can be frustrating, and tough love is ok, so as long it is done with respect. I just feel sometimes we don't always approach other members that way.

As hope4life stated, "Other than medical advice, I think just about any subject can be discussed.... if it is done with RESPECT."