Notices

Tapering down ,with sucess

Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

So you tried for 2 years to moderate and failed. So your plan is to try harder to moderate? You said it yourself in your post that it's just easier to abstain. It's not worth the obsession and hard work to control it.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just my opinion here - others may vary: There's nothing better for an alcoholic than getting a pat on the back for drinking a beer. And I think that's what a big part of this self-administered tapering is all about. Drink a few beers and say "good job" to yourself and get a high five. Living the alcoholic's dream. Another poster mentioned a methodical system of keeping track of drinks over a long period of time, dressing up the problem in a scientific lab coat and spectacles. It makes you feel smarter, but it doesn't make you smart. Some of the worst drug addicts are extremely good at measuring the amounts of drugs they intake. Pot, heroin, pills...addicts have more scales than a Jenny Craig. There's some psychological self-delusion involved there, something us alcoholics know a lot about. Heck I've tricked myself into believing that drinking was GOOD for me, what with the antioxidants and whatnot. I remember when I switched to vodka I thought that was also a great idea, because it had less calories than beer. Both of those "good ideas" damn near killed me.

Alcoholism isn't a basketball game. You're not down 20 points and slowly making a comeback. Every drink you take is another step in the wrong direction. Simple as that.

I hope everyone here gets well!