Notices

Intoxicated woman at meeting tonight

Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intoxicated woman at meeting tonight

Hey everybody my name is Brian and I'm an alcoholic. Tonight at my usual Monday night meeting someone brought along a woman who was pretty intoxicated. She said she'd been kicked out of a halfway house earlier today and something about how 1 99 cent shot bottle had brought her to the state she was in. She continued to say that she was contemplating spending her last cash on more booze sleeping outside and freezing to death tonight. She cursed and cried a lot. Said she hated alcohol. She also recited lines from the Big Book by memory. My sponsor bless his soul tried to console her. Eventually she began loosing consciousness and was taken out by emt's. To some this may sound shocking. To many of us it is not. You see on the morning of October 24 last year I was taken out of my cheap hotel room by emt's. I was crying hanging onto my iPhone because that's where many pictures of my only child are. I didn't want to die but I didn't want to live. I believe when some of us reach that lowest point of desperation, we are lower than low and we are dangerously insane. I am so grateful to be sober today. No matter how much sober time I might get there is only 1 thing that seperates me from that woman and that is the first drink. I will pray for her tonight when I thank God for another sober day. Isn't there something in the bible that says something like "but for the grace of God there go I"?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
I didn't want to die but I didn't want to live.
This is what I try to remember when I think of drinking again. Thanks for the reminder. I never want to be that desperate again.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No problem. The good news. As is often said here as long as we stay sober we never have to be.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I highly doubt 1 99cent shot bottle led her to be that intoxicated. I believe her story about getting kicked out of the recovery home. I have been to a few "half way houses" & some were downright ruthless with the rules. Given the choice between prison & a recovery home I would choose prison. I live in the IN area & it's 0 degrees out. They should of gave her a detox number or something. It's amazing to me that rehabs & recovery homes act shocked when members relapse. Yet that is one of the main characteristics of a disease. A disease can go into remission yet come back at a later time.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the Bible verse that comes to my mind is now stop sinning or something worse may happen to you
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Poor thing. I hope she is able to get help and recovery.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turninganewleaf View Post
I highly doubt 1 99cent shot bottle led her to be that intoxicated.
more than likely it was the one 99 cent shot that caused the phenomenom of craving to happen. that one 99 cent shot, that 1st drink, was just the beginning.

"They should of gave her a detox number or something."
im glad they chose "or something" to someone losing consciousness.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

and when we look at people in meetings that we think are on their high horse we need to remember that they are the same as us, ONE DRINK AWAY
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
Isn't there something in the bible that says something like "but for the grace of God there go I"?
I was interested in looking this up, I googled it & it was a quote by John Bradford. The closest Bible verse was written by Paul:
1 Corinthians 15:10

"But by the grace God, I am what I am, and his grace to me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that my friend. I didn't know either.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That reminded me of me. I remember going to meetings just hammered out of my mind. I had previously done several Big Book Studies back to back. So I would sit quietly at the meeting, then the chair would pick me. By this point in time I was done with story telling. While most of the rest of the room would talk about their day, or how work went or blah blah blah, there would be the occasional Big Book talker there, which is why I went to that meeting, to hear that recovery message, not a bunch of whiners, which is typical. As I was sharing, I took note of the time. I kept it under 5 minutes. But I would talk about steps 1 through to about 3. I wouldnt take step one off the wall step poster as most do. No, I talked about the disease concept, then the willingness to believe, then how to go about making a decision to go with the rest of the steps, step 3 prayer. Then by about 5 minutes to the end of the meeting, I would stand up, act like I was going to the bathroom but walk out.

Previous to that, about 8 years or so. I remember another meeting. Sober. Talked about my brother, mom, dad, the judge, my license, the neighbors dog. Talked for a good 15 minutes. Was a small group. This is vivid in my mind to this day. Buddy cut me off, said he would pray for me. BUT, one thing I do remember is he said after the meeting. Do you have a Big Book. I said no. He gave me a free Big Book and everyone signed it. He said find where it talks about the first step in the Book. I read that book over and over again, until a few months later I found it. Page 32 I believe it was. To this day when someone reads that in a room, brings me back to the whining and moaning phase.