Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

help! minor relapse - major sleep problems...leading to medicating....

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After 7 months sobriety I drank 10 times over nearly 5 weeks. I can see how this relapse happened and have eliminated the issues that led to this (full time work, stressful family issues, and not prioritising my investment in my recovery due to these things).
I am now 3 weeks sober again and cannot for the life of me sleep properly.
I am wondering how so little (!!) drinking has affected my sleep so much?

I can feel tired and go to bed at a reasonable hour and 4 hours later night after night Im still awake. The last 3 nights I have got up around 3am and taken 2.5mg of diazepam to try and make me sleepy.

This is not a routine I want to get in as I don't need the medication for any other reason. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
I have 7 hours sleep, get up and do my day, limit caffeine, keep stress to a minimum.... dont nap... have a routine.... tried natural sleep aids I cant figure it out.

My sleeping was fine until I drank... Ideas? suggestions? reasons why this can happen after a brief relapse period?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Every time I went back to drinking after a period of sobriety, the effects got worse. I believe some refer to it as "Kindling"...but for many, each time you go back to the bottle everythign gets worse. Worse health issues, longer recovery, etc... If you feel it's beyond normal see a doctor of course.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Minor Relapse" Diminishing.
I drink because I am an alcoholic, thats what I do, I drink to change the way I feel. I can never eliminate the fact I am an alcoholic, I will never be cured. Life happens, stuff happens. Thats apart of life. I had to get used to that fact, and stop acting and behaving like a pre-teen. I have dealt with the sleeping problem all my life. I took prescription sleep medications from the docor, then realized I was just swapping addictions from boozing to sleeping pills. Natural sleep aids help, valerian, st johns wart, melotonin disolvables. All these are meant to be temporary. Doctors are so quick to slap a patient on a pill, its the western culture. Feel a little sad, the doc gives ya a pill. Feel too happy, pill. Feel different then the rest, pill.

Sleeping is about routine. We alcoholics hate routine. Its about eating right, drinking plenty of water, staying away from caffeine and pop and sugar. Working out at the gym helps get the body tired. Next I learned its about the sleeping enviroment. Cold and dark. No distractions.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there Jutam

Im brand new here but want you to know I am rooting for you!!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find camomile tea helps me to relax at night.

My brother suggested this to me. He said him and his girlfriend have a routine where they sit down together at night and discuss their days with a cup of camomile tea. It helps to relax and unwind.

I started doing it too and I find it soothing.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had sleep problems up until I took step 5, about 2 months as I recall. The skeletons kept me awake even though my daily behaviour was reasonably ok, i.e not drinking.

It seems the cause was spiritual, as was the solution, not external circumstances. The solution was not to be found in another type of bottle.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi
I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time getting good rest.
I can relate. I have a hard time sleeping anyway and then alcohol really negatively affects me...weeks after!

I want to suggest that you see a doctor though. Benzo's are not a good sleep aid and are highly addictive. The doctor can recommend a sleep aid that is not addictive- should you choose that route.

Wishing you the best!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jutam View Post

The last 3 nights I have got up around 3am and taken 2.5mg of diazepam to try and make me sleepy.
it seems that other prescribed things might be better
so as to induce sleep
I could name a couple of common ones used these days
but
being no doctor -- best not

by the way
your sleep should get much better in short time

Mountainman
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Insomnia is a serious condition that can put people at an increased risk of hypertension, diabetes, obesity, depression, heart attack, and stroke.

I've known people who boast that they're fine with getting a couple of hours of sleep each night. Though there do exist individual differences among people around how much sleep we need each night, being sleep-deprived is nothing to be proud of.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're not sleeping Jutam.

If it's impacting your life, the best and safest thing to do is see your Dr, if you haven't already.

D
Old 02-17-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exercise always helps me sleep better.

I had the same problem when I got sober (my short 4 days lol). I was having heart palpitations. It was weird. SomeTimes I Would startle myself awake because I was experiencing a falling sensation. Has that hAppened to anyone?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think perhaps you just need a bit of time to let your body get back to what it was doing naturally before you drank at 7 months.

Please be careful with the Diazapam. They are so habit forming. Speaking from my own nightmare experience.