Notices

Resentment against coworker

Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resentment against coworker

I have a coworker at work who leaves at 10pm whenever I close with her and doesn't finish her work at all. I am there till 11pm and I end up finishing her work. The managers know what is going on she has been written up 3 times already. She has worked in 4 departments and they say they are going to transfer her but they have to wait. It is so frustrating working with her she does nothing. She has stayed overtime a couple of times to help but has not done much to help me. I ended up doing most of the work. I CANT STAND HER. I am always super nice to her though. I try real hard to be patient and tolerant but the other night she overflew the fryers for the 3rd time and left me with some of her work to do while she cleaned up the spill she didn't do a good job cleaning it and got in trouble in the morning. I stayed 40 minutes extra to finish everything. My supervisor I think was frustrated with me this morning. I explained to her that Stacy doesn't help much and that I always go overtime with her. So now I am stuck cutting 40 minutes of overtime. I cant take working with her anymore. Any advice on how to handle this please? I have reached my breaking point I have prayed and meditated and tried to be understanding and patient with her and encourage her. My sponsor says this is a lesson in patience for me. I don't want to complain no more because then I will look like a bitch.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I would have a quiet, polite but assertive word with my boss. You may have had problems and need to avoid resentments etc. But that does not give people the right to walk all over you. You have rights to be treated with respect and I donlt see your frustrations as resentment at all. But that is just my opinion.xxxx
Old 02-06-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds very frustrating! But there also doesn't seem to be anything else you can do. You have reported it to the supervisor. Perhaps you could start keeping a log of each task you do every day and how long it takes you so that you can show you're doing your work and not wasting time. Maybe your boss can give you and her a defined list of tasks, so it is obvious when one person isn't doing his or her work. I would keep reporting it, though. As long as you do it professionally, it's not complaining.

It seems astonishing that there is no supervisor around when there are employees in the building, so I'm sorry if things are poorly run.

So I guess acceptance is the key. I do my part in life and accept whatever happens, otherwise I lose my serenity. I pray every day for people I can't stand until I no longer have the resentment. Resentments may lead me to drink.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Ugh, that's a difficult situation. Since your boss doesn't want you to be doing overtime, (you decide if this is a good idea given the personality of the boss) I would say. "I understand that you don't want me to work over time and I respect that, but I am not sure how to handle things when it is time to clock out and the work is not finished. What would you prefer I do if that happens again." If the boss already knows that the coworker is not doing her job, then she won't blame you for the work undone, and you will have it straight from the top how THEY want it taken care of.

I have had a similar situation and that is what I did. That way you have covered yourself, show respect to the boss and the rules, and someone will have to give a clear answer as to what to do next.

Meanwhile..hang in there!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree i wonder why there is not a supervisor there at closing time. All shifts should be supervised. Something is off here. Is this a small place or does it have a corporate office? Is there someone there that runs the place to close out the days books/receipts?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pray for her and be grateful you have a job and are sober enough to work.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered People Pleaser

I would not only talk to my supervisor about a written division of tasks. I would also go direct to the horse (after prayer so I could remain calm) and speak to Stacy and tell her her actions were unacceptable and that I was working for a paycheck and if I was going to continue to do her work she should pay me.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There are always ways of politely asserting yourself, but no one deserves to be taken advantage of.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anoronha
A year ago, I was working 60+ hours a week and I wasn't able to keep up with the work load. Just 12 months later, our business has taken such a downturn that I am lucky to get 25 hrs/week. If your sponsors message about patience isn't working maybe you could look at it from a position of gratitude? Just a thought.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

have you been praying only for yourself?
how bout the other steps? start at step one on this maybe?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

patience isn't about what im doin while im waitng- its about what im thinkin.