Notices

Black outs

Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Black outs

Tired of babysitting your wasted friends every weekend? Upcoming research published in Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research may shed light on why some people are more susceptible to blackouts than others.

In the study, researchers had social drinkers booze up to a 0.08 blood alcohol level. Then they took brain scans of the subjects while they completed memory tasks. Although the participants' brains scans were all very similar when sober, people with a history of blackouts had greater difficulty completing a memory task while buzzed than people who said they didn’t black out while boozing.

The drinks appeared to blunt brain areas associated with memory, attention, and overall executive cognitive function, says lead study author Reagan Wetherill, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California at San Diego’s School of Medicine.

More from MensHealth.com: What Really Happens When You're Drunk

Why does alcohol affect some more than others? We’re all wired slightly different, and some people may just be better at tolerating the effects of alcohol than others, says Wetherill.

What Causes Blackouts

It's still a bit of a mystery to scientists exactly how blackouts happen. “We know that in rodents, alcohol actually causes the neurons in the hippocampus (an area of the brain that is responsible for memory) to shut down,” says Wetherill. “But humans are more complex.”

But the way your body reacts to alcohol isn’t the only factor that plays a role in your bar-like behavior. Wetherill explains that how fast you drink, how much you drink, whether you’re male or female, your weight, and whether or not you ate before you kicked off the night all play a big part in what happens to you when you drink.

Types of Blackouts

The most common type of blackout is called a fragmentary blackout (or as it’s referred to in most literary studies, a brownout). With a brownout, you experience partial memory loss after a drinking episode. But if someone gives you clues—where you were, who you were with, the tune you butchered while doing karaoke— you’ll be able to recall bits and pieces of the night, says Wetherill.

Then there’s an en block, which is when you experience complete memory loss. En blocks usually occur at really high blood alcohol concentrations and typically result in the person passing out and literally having no recollection of the evening even if they’re given cues, says Wetherill.

How to Remember the Fun

So how can you avoid the above scenarios? Pace yourself. “Steering clear of shots and monitoring your drinks at pre-parties are great ways to go about slowing your alcohol consumption,” says Wetherill. “And always make sure to avoid drinking on an empty stomach.”
Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How can you avoid the above scenarios? Only garanteed way for me is to not pick up the first drink.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Did a big book study tonight on the way up my friend and I were talking about black outs the story talked about black outs and I was curious why we get them
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My worst blackouts would last for long 12+ hour periods. I once woke up at 5 and did not know if it was 5 in the morning or 5 in the evening. People would tell me I was talking and functioning somewhat normal or just my usual drunken self. Blackouts have always scared me. I would frequently drink out of control during these times.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd be like the movie weekend at Bernie's during mine
Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah blackouts, don't miss those. Nothing like waking up to girlfriend, friends and basically everyone disgusted with you for something you have no recollection of .

Then you muster up the courage to ask what it was , only to wish you never did because it was "so out of character ." Except once the blackout menace comes out enough times it's really not out of character is it?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I never had a total blank on drinking, but towards the end I did have fragmentary blackouts and I saw that as a sign that I was moving into stage 2 alcoholism. Major scare. It was just one more motivation to quit.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

pretty interesting as I thought it was because I couldnt control my drinking.

found a great was to stop em though!
memory still aint that great,tho.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a fragment black out kinda drinker. Over the years I've experienced progressively more frequent black outs. Over the past 5 years my memory while sober has taken a hit, and I've wondered if it was related to drinking. Does memory repair itself?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many times, I would pick up a 12 pack and some vodka, then wake up to find more bottles and empty 12 and 18 cartons of beer and have no memory of going out to get them.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was asked to speak at a meeting tonight.
I told them, I was a black out drinker from the start
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the two worst nights of my life were when I was blacked out. thankfully I didn't physically hurt anyone but I caused damage at both bars I was at.

JOY in sobriety!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's the problem with us alcoholics (or at least with me), we can't just 'avoid shots', or pace ourselves.
Once the first or second drink kicks in, we'll do almost anything to get more! I know when I drank in a social atmosphere, I'd take whatever was handed to me. There was no off switch.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turninganewleaf View Post
My worst blackouts would last for long 12+ hour periods. I once woke up at 5 and did not know if it was 5 in the morning or 5 in the evening. People would tell me I was talking and functioning somewhat normal or just my usual drunken self. Blackouts have always scared me. I would frequently drink out of control during these times.
Me too! I used to wake up at 5 in the morning and think it was 5 in the evening! Glad it wasn't just me. So happy to be free of that.