Notices

23 years and a relapse

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AlmA

God...
this really frightened meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
after 23 years...
and still fell back in...

God bless his soul!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustODAAT View Post
(Oscar-winning actor) Phillip Seymour Hoffman had 23 years of sobriety before he relapsed and ODed. He was so talented and my first thought is "what a waste," but then I think I should say any life lost to addiction is a waste.

It frightens me to think about how all I really know is that I'm sober today, no matter how many years I have. It reminds me to never stop being dedicated to, being diligent about, my sobriety.

I am so sad. This has really shaken me.
I had to check to make sure I knew who Hoffman was. I did and I recognize him from several movies. Yup....pretty sad but not entirely unpredictable. I've seen quite a few people die from drugs and alcohol. Most in the early stages but some after a number of years sober. As far as I'm concerned personally, he didn't die in vain. I've been sober quite a while and his passing just makes me more alert to the fact that my sobriety is a daily reprieve based on my desire to stay sober, my commitment to stay sober and my willingness to as God for help to stay sober. It's a shame when this happens but I see people here on this forum and others who continue to push the envelope, not thinking that the next drink or drug just may be the one that kills them. If you're sober today, and the desire to drink or drug strikes you, you'd better have a plan to deal with that desire, or it may be your last warning.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
AA member

So sad.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Is it known whether or not it was a deliberate over dose or an accidental one?
I'm very sad and think of his children especially. He was a wonderful talent. I was a big fan.
They found 50 bags of heroin in his room....so on some level, one has to wonder.