Notices

Actually taking care of myself

Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Actually taking care of myself

It is amazing but every time I get sober (yes I have failed a lot) I start to actually care about what I look like again and I actually try to look better. I am only 6 days sober and I already feel a sense of trying to be pretty again. For awhile I felt like a zombie everyday, even though I did not drink everyday. I was a 3 times a week drinker usually and I think my body just could never catch up. What sucks is that I think I ruined my hair from drinking through all these years. It is so thin now. Is that a symptom of drinking to much? I am sure I added some wrinkles too. I am just happy that I feel a bit more positive about my appearance again. I hope it get better and better. Have any of you felt this way?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! My skin is so much better and while I still have some bags under my eyes, the dark circles are lessening. And, it's not only the outside, but I feel better on the inside, as well - I think that shines through in more ways than we realize. Keep with it, need!!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Hair thins with age (even for women) - I don't think it has to do with drinking. As far as wrinkles, I sadly have some now that my bloated, alcoholic face has returned back to its intended state.. Such is life.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

needtostopthis - Im 6 days aswell, congrats, I am finally looking after myself aswell, got a haircut from a barber for the first time in 5 years… I always did my own "drunk" or didn't care how it looked. My skin has improved just in a few days..

Good luck
Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
It is amazing but every time I get sober (yes I have failed a lot) I start to actually care about what I look like again and I actually try to look better. I am only 6 days sober and I already feel a sense of trying to be pretty again. For awhile I felt like a zombie everyday, even though I did not drink everyday. I was a 3 times a week drinker usually and I think my body just could never catch up. What sucks is that I think I ruined my hair from drinking through all these years. It is so thin now. Is that a symptom of drinking to much? I am sure I added some wrinkles too. I am just happy that I feel a bit more positive about my appearance again. I hope it get better and better. Have any of you felt this way?
I am three weeks out. And the difference in my face and body are really significant. I also did not care about my appearance. I wrote about it on the thread about 'then and now'. I think you posted right after me. i was so lazy that I wasn't showering and developed itching all over my body. At that point I was like, oh, guess it must be liver failure. And then I'd chase those thoughts away with a drink. When I came out of my drunk fog for a day or so (still drinking but less drunk), I realized I hadn't taken a shower in 10 days or so. Those itches went away and after that, even though I was still drinking, I took care of my hygiene because I was even embarrassed to my own self that that happened.

I used to be into fashion, cute clothes, looking nice. Last few years, none of that mattered. Didn't buy new clothes at first (before things got bad) because I couldn't figure out why my weight wouldn't budge. Didn't chalk it up to my baby named addiction (alcohol-always protected it). Instead, thought it was age and thought I can't do anything. I bought some bigger clothes but that was it. I continued to wear the same dirty comfy sweatshirt and baggy jeans everywhere outside of work. Face and hair? didn't give one rat's A. Stopped getting hit on. It was almost overnight. later, I didn't buy them because I could hardly buy anything between trying to be drunk as much as possible and not caring at all how I looked.

since being sober, I've developed a better body image. Weight always feels better on the way down than the way up. A few years ago, I would have considered myself huge at this weight. I'm about a size 8 now, but I am still overweight. But now that I'm on the way down and haven't seen this weight in a while, I'm thrilled.

I have these white circles under my eyes. I don't know if it's aging or effects of the alcohol. I'll give it a month of sobriety and then I'll check them out.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Letstrythis, I did read your other post and I think that is what spawned this one.
I wish I was a size 8! Right now I am eating a lot. I think I replaced booze with food. lol.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

My hair fell out big time once after a mega binge. It cam back though. You can look pretty again xxx
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being sober (65 days) has done wonders for my looks. My skin is glowy and hydrated. My eyes shine. I haven't lost any weight because I'm enjoying sweets a little too much ATM. I got hit on the other day which hasn't happened to me in forever. You'll be amazed at the changes.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Chiming in here, 20 days now face is returning to normal I can see my jawline again, skin problems clearing and less peeling, dehydration and redness, working out every second day, not stinking of booze, actually going to get myself some new clothes.. wearing the same pants doesn't work. Changing clothes daily like a normal person. Dark circles getting lighter and puffiness decreasing. Everyday gets better. Leaving the house everyday now like a normal person. This rambling is all over the place but its all great. Got hair cut, styled looking a lot better.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wish my light circles would get darker.

I'm happy about the weight loss and I do see some in my face. I was def a big drinker, but it didn't really affect my skin. Now I wish it had because I would be feeling even greater. I have looked closely at pics of myself from the last year, the few i would even allow to take. I do have the puff face, for sure. But I didn't have the redness, hallowed look are patches. I wonder why.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome.. geez I really don't like drinking at all.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My hair was dry and coarse and I was always sweating from the alcohol which made every day a bad hair day. I just thought that was a result of getting older and all the dye jobs. It was really depressing me. Four months into my sobriety there is a really big change. My husband compliments my hair all the time now and says it's back to how it was when I was younger This can't be a coincidence cuz I'm not getting any younger!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first day I quit drinking I went for a haircut in a very hungover state wearing my usual uniform of old sweatpants and baggy T shirt. Those big bright salon mirrors are unforgiving. It was humiliating. While staring in disbelief at how truly awful I looked, my hairdresser combed my hair back and revealed a large bald patches at both of my temples. 3 months sober my hair is growing back in. You will not believe how different you will look in 3 months. It is well worth staying sober.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Hi everyone,
I'm five months sober, almost six. I have lost about five pounds. My hair is getting thicker and softer. My hair was really thin, I started taking Biotin and estradiol and I think that helps because my I can really see a difference in my hair.
I like to wear nice clothes again too. I got my haircut last month and it looks really nice. When I was drinking I went years in between haircuts. I always did the DIY thing and my hair never looked good.
I've also started going to the dentist and doctor and things like that. I never used to have a regular doctor, I would just go to the ER.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

O my gosh I'm so happy I found this post.

I feel so bloated and gross now. And I think my face is a little thicker than usual. Its day 1 for me so I hope in a few weeks ill feel better AND look better.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My husband said I have a sparkle back in my eyes now