Notices

What do you do?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do?

Has anybody else suffered depression, anxiety, and overwhelming stress after stopping drinking? I was let go from my job a couple of weeks ago from my job and it makes it even worse.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Badger,
I was never diagnosed as clinically depressed, but I was sad, sad, sad, sad, sad when I stopped drinking for good.
And for me it lasted quite a long time. I would just do the bare minimum to get through each day. Eventually I was sad a little bit less, and then a little bit more less.
If it gets to be unbearable, then you should go see a doctor.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah dude..im 11 months out..im getting depression like you wouldn't beleive. Im going to the shrink soon..
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Badger - if it's concerning you, why not see a Dr?

D
Old 01-29-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have suffered depression all my life and mistakenly thought drink could help. It only makes it worse, as I found out, but there are excellent treatments for depression nowadays and I embrace all of that. x
Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think it's clinical. I think it's just me adjusting, but man, it gets really rough.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you. Day 27 and on and off depression. I have cried more this past 4 weeks then I have in my entire life. I can't stop it sometimes.
It took me years of drinking to get here so it will take a long time to come right.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by badger1172 View Post
I don't think it's clinical. I think it's just me adjusting, but man, it gets really rough.
Depression and anxiety are BIG reasons why I drank. Just sitting home doing nothing but drinking might relax me for a while, but eventually it backfires, and I pay a price for it. Making a daily plan to do stuff helps a lot, even if their just small things. Going to the gym also helps a lot. I figure, if I'm going to have all this anxiety, I might as well put it to good use and do a lot of cardio. If I sit around doing nothing, eventually I'll end up in a liquor store and blow another week.
I hope you find a plan that works for you! Good luck.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Close to 80 days for me and feeling so blue. Hang in there! People here say it gets better. I'm going to wait it out! I don't want to go backwards!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Losing a job is extremely stressful and depressing. That may actually be overshadowing the withdrawals from alcohol. It might be good to see a therapist or doctor as Dee suggested.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I can undstd depression after sobering up but pile on unemployment @ the same time!? Wow I don't even want to try & suggest what I'd done for I was working part time. Best route is follow suggestion to see a doc. But no matter what, DO NOT pick up a drink; twill only make you feel worse & not change anything
Best wishes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you google things to help you when you're depressed, you'll find a lot of resources that might help you. Even reading about people who aren't even trying to recover from alcohol abuse makes me feel less alone about it. But if your feelings turn very dark, see a Dr. You're going through a helluva time.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to get badly depressed when I would try to stop drinking for more than a week or two. It was like the thought of a drink to chase the blues away was the light I needed. I would fool myself and drink thinking it would fix everything and then wake up the next day worse than before.
I would at times feel great about life and then feel bad because I knew that it would swing back to feeling blue and it always did.
The last time I realized with a bit of a jolt that I could not do this by doing the same thing and that a spiritual solution was needed. I had to admit that I was licked and no longer in control and that I had to surrender to that fact and turn it over to a higher power. And do you know what? I stopped drinking that day and have not felt an overwhelming compulsion to drink since then. My bi-polar, depression, resentments and anxiety has also largely left me and when I feel them crowding in again I simply think of the spiritual key and it gets better. If something continues to bother me I pray on it and take it to a Therapist for a chat or open up elsewhere. I keep busy and try to help others where I can. I believe these are all time tested ways of overcoming what Churchill called his "Black Dog"
Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I found that alcohol was the cause of my depression and anxiety. I went to the doctor countless times to see if I could get prescriptions for anti-depressants, all the while drinking heavily almost every night. It doesn't really make much sense, in hindsight. It's like polishing brass on the Titanic, as Tyler Durden in Fight Club says.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me in the beginning it was defiantly akin to the loss of a dear friend. It took awhile to accept and adjust by thinking of positive things and getting active in the fellowship.

BE WELL
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

alcoholism to me is not being able to live without drinking

when I stopped, things got worse

alcohol treated my alcoholism, without it, I needed a new solution

there is a way out, if you are desperate enough

the 12 steps saved my life
Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Depression and anxiety are BIG reasons why I drank. Just sitting home doing nothing but drinking might relax me for a while, but eventually it backfires, and I pay a price for it. .
Yes, I agree. I am a stay at home mom, and the free time I have at a certain time every day is so difficult. I can't leave the house so I am sort of stuck inside doing nothing. It kills me.