Notices

Me

Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me

Hey all.
I really did not want to make this confession. But I relapsed.
I am not drunk at this moment, but I did spend 3 days getting completely liquefied. It is quite embarrassing. I have all the medication necessary to detox properly. I am not worried about that. My Doctor is an understanding person.
But I thought I was a great advocate to sobriety. I thought I was a super hero and owned this thing. I lost the game.
I am nothing but a wealthy drunk, cocaine addict.
I signed a contract with my current employer that lists "if I relapse I will resign". I cant financially afford to technically just give up and "resign".
I dont know if I should tell them yet? What do you think?
My Girlfriend is going to hate me. My Mother is going to Freak out. My Father may have a heart attack. I want to bury myself into a cave. This is all very sad.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Threats aren't generally a good way to motivate people. There is no agreement I could sign that would prevent me from drinking again if I decided I was going to.

I say get back on the horse and enlist some more support.

I have no idea if you should tell anyone right now. I kind of think that if it's really going to create the kind of drama you say, then maybe don't tell anyone. I'm not saying lie if someone asks you, but I am not sure I'd volunteer the information.

I am very private about my alcoholism. My parents don't know that I have a problem or that I'm in AA. If I told them, the drama would be sky high and they would tell EVERYONE. So I don't tell them.

I am honest here and with people in AA about my drinking and relapses. I don't talk about it at work. My employer absolutely doesn't know. Only 2 friends know.

I understand that some people were more visible during their drinking and hence their recovery is more public.

At the very least, don't use this as an excuse to continue to relapse. Get right back on the horse. If you have the means, why not do a rehab for a few months? It's a safe place and will get you on the right track. You can be discreet if you don't want the world to know. You're just going on a 'vacation', or taking some 'down time'.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Pick yourself up and give it another go. As long as it doesn't turn into a humdinger relapse, you can get better and continue working. I'm not saying it's not a big deal, but the bigger deal you make of it, the harder it will be to put behind you and push forward with positivity and reclaim your sobriety. You just lost it for a bit. Just my opinion and what I would try to do. Good luck xxxxx
Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why tell employer ?

I'll plead the 5th in a second

The burden of proof lies on them .
Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just get back on track and keep it to yourself. There is no need to destroy your entire livelihood over a small slip. Just remind yourself next time how important your sobriety is for so many different reasons and be strong.

You can do it, try again.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

So far, we are unanimous xxxx
Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Just get back on track and keep it to yourself. There is no need to destroy your entire livelihood over a small slip. Just remind yourself next time how important your sobriety is for so many different reasons and be strong.

You can do it, try again.
Okay.
Good gosh I love this site.
Its these comments that are so reassuring.
I am not going to tell anyone. I don't want to disturb my families livelihood and disrupt my career over this.
I want to slap myself silly though.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You'll be fine xxx
Old 01-28-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
I want to bury myself into a cave. This is all very sad.
Why not immerse yourself in rehab? I know you don't want to disrupt your life, your career. But if you keep relapsing, your addiction is going to disrupt your life and career much worse than recovery ever will.

You've had a couple of relapses this month. Do what you have to do to put your recovery back on track.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

While I'm a huge proponent of honesty, I think disclosure is maybe not a great idea in this particular circumstance.

Use this as your personal giant motivator to be your personal best.

At the end of the day, it's just you and the mirror.

You can beat this.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Why not immerse yourself in rehab? I know you don't want to disrupt your life, your career. But if you keep relapsing, your addiction is going to disrupt your life and career much worse than recovery ever will.

You've had a couple of relapses this month. Do what you have to do to put your recovery back on track.
I have. I somewhat feel like going back to treatment may be a waste of time.
I can go now (this very moment) if I want too. And its an amazing opportunity. I just don't feel like its conducive me absorbing more knowledge.

Im just at the selfish stage.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe it's fear more than selfishness, Life?

D
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ha, I wish I could just sign a contract and never relapse again. *shakes head* I wouldn't tell anyone but maybe pick up some meetings?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a slightly different answer.

Is your drinking/using triggered in any way by your career? It sounds high pressured and in the public eye in some way. I just say be sure to evaluate the situation fairly. Maybe being honest will give you the freedom you need right now to actually face these problems. Only you can decide. Put yourself and sobriety first. As they say: "Your health is your wealth."
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe it's fear more than selfishness, Life?

D
It is Fear.
Thank you.
I was scared. But I'm not anymore.