Notices

Craving Semantics

Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving Semantics

As I approach 10 months of alcohol abstinence I realized last night my wording involved during times of "cravings" has continually changed and evolved. Now during the times of cravings I am starting to hear/feel what mind and body are really craving.

I find as of late they seem to be more appropriate and less alcohol centered.

Initially my inner dialog around a feeling of craving was, "I really NEED a drink"

Followed by,
* "I really WANT a drink"
* "I wish I could drink"
* "I really miss drinking"
* "Man drinking would really make me escape"
* "I really wish I could check out for a bit"
* "I'm mentally exhausted and really feel depleted, the promise of a massage is getting me through this night"
* "I really do too much, this is a hard time in my life.... But it's not forever"

Anyone else see or feel a change in their self talk regarding times of cravings?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes, completely. Perhaps the biggest change in my mental psyche is that I now can see the "train" of a craving come to the station. While before I would just jump on impulsively because I knew no other way, now with the tools of my program and strength I am building through meditation and recovery I can watch that craving train pass through my station.

Because I am an addict, I am finding my addictions transcend alcohol to other substances and behaviors. I am finding the same techniques applied to sobriety are also having an influence on other areas of my life for the better.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes I vacillate between the necessity of stopping and the benefit of stopping. Either way, I continue the choice not to drink. Perhaps it's as simple as not overthinking the long-term effect of staying sober. That is, taking it one day as a time and conquering each craving individually. It sounds like you are forecasting future cravings and that could be overwhelming.

I say focus on the here-and-now and how much better is it to be sober.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm still new but I'm reaching the point where, "OMG YOU AREN'T DRINKING! NOW WHAT??" has faded into, "It would be so niiicccceee. You know you want to!". Not near where it sounds like you're coming from but there seems to have been a general shift from that urgency. Anxiety is fading a little but depression is becoming a struggle.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TucTee View Post
It sounds like you are forecasting future cravings and that could be overwhelming.

I say focus on the here-and-now and how much better is it to be sober.
It's not so much a forecasting as it is I'm recognizing what likely was the root of my addiction. I'm starting to hear my mind body tell me what it's lacking, rather then look for instant false gratification.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hearts View Post
I'm still new but I'm reaching the point where, "OMG YOU AREN'T DRINKING! NOW WHAT??" has faded into, "It would be so niiicccceee. You know you want to!". Not near where it sounds like you're coming from but there seems to have been a general shift from that urgency. Anxiety is fading a little but depression is becoming a struggle.
These are preprogramed responses for your habits. Your have to break this with a program - internal or external. I believe an external formal program (AA, Therapy, Smart, Lifering, Rational Recovery) are a huge help but not a requirement - many have succeeded with a hybrid of self help, SR and or introspection.

Yoga is also a huge help, as it start to teach about embowering your awareness, which I feel is key and a cornerstone in each recovery program, although disguised as differently in each.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

At first the cravings were "just get drunk tonight" after that was over it was screaming "just drink" with no real reason in mind. The intensity lessened and then those thoughts would drift in and drift out. I had a huge change up lately with the thought "see you can quit so just get drunk once in a while" That one freaked me out but I refuse to even give moderation a second thought.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh huge conrgats on your 10 months!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

wow - sneaky pete your AV

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
At first the cravings were "just get drunk tonight" after that was over it was screaming "just drink" with no real reason in mind. The intensity lessened and then those thoughts would drift in and drift out. I had a huge change up lately with the thought "see you can quit so just get drunk once in a while" That one freaked me out but I refuse to even give moderation a second thought.
I get those too - the doc says your in great health "So, Drink" says AV
"your a hypochondriac you never even had a problem" says AV...then tell me whose bottles are those and why was I spending 150 a week on wine...weekly?

sneeky feelings
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Oh huge conrgats on your 10 months!!!
Thank you in advance but I can't accept that until 2/9
Old 01-29-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alright then, congrats on nearly ten months sober!