Notices

Go away, horrible feelings. Shoo!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Sounds like you're working on this in therapy? Maybe it's time to think about some of the things you've learned in those sessions and apply them to your current situation? Sounds silly, but it might help.
I am! Can't you tell? This is what I did:

1. I didn't drink, use, self harm or resort any other dysfunctional coping mechanism. What a freaking WIN!

2. I talked about it and was aware of my feelings instead of numbing them, shoving them down or dismissing them.

3. I took positive steps to aleviate the anxiety - went for a walk, went to a meeting and talked about it here.

4. I made a plan to deal with both the actual issue and the feelings triggered by the actual issue.

I count this melt down as a huge success and giant improvement over my usual methods of coping with difficulties. I woke up this morning annoyed, but there is no fallout to deal with. No drink or drug hangover. No consequences of self-harming behavoiur. Just stone cold sober and annoyed. I feel like I've won the lottery.

It brings home to me again that the big issue I need to deal with presently is my work stress and how much of my limited resources it takes. It's quite likely that the problem is me and my inadequate coping skills rather than the job itself.

I think I've come forward in leaps and bounds but I can see why other people would see me flailing around in a freak out and think I'm not progressing.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suncatcher View Post
I'm proud of you TL for talking about your feelings and allowing yourself other ways to deal with them! That is a huge accomplishment! I used to deal with anxious unpleasant feelings and frustrations by over eating! Order a large pizza when times got tough lol I think we all have our vices we turn to in times of stress, some healthy some not at all but recognizing it and figuring out healthier ways to cope is the main thing. I hope your computer problem gets resolved soon but as you know something else will arise at some point. But it sounds like you are learning to deal with things it's ok to cry and scream if you have to! And keep posting here whenever you need to vent! Hugs and positive feelings

Aww thank you :-) I am a comfort eater, too. When I read your post, I realised that eating didn't even cross my mind as a response to the drama. I thought to myself, drinking and using is off the table, so I need to do something different. I think I had a really healthy reaction despite the emotional drama.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluncain View Post
I associate that voice that blames and shames me as my Alcoholic Voice. It, The Slug, wants me to feel undeserving/guilty so I will drink.
Oh wow. You gave the AV a name? Oooohhhhhhh that's good. I have started thinking of my AV as the 'other me'. It needs a name and an identity. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
A little paint will cover those claw marks on the ceiling
Hahahahahahaha!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I relate in several ways here. This is the part you need to turn over TL. Do you have a CD of meditation programs you can listen to?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am in therapy too Tiger and went through a similar situation last night - not with my computer but dealing with an urge - not drink or drugs but behavioral. Anyhow, I talk about it with a friend and then put on some meditation music and went to bed. six months ago that never would have happened.

Good job on how you dealt with this situation.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hang in there, tell it it's a bad computer, stick it in the corner, and watch a movie or the Grammys, if that's your thing. It will be ok. Good for you for posting your feelings. Sweet dreams tonight!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I will be okay. It's just triggered a lot of stuff and comes at exactly the wrong time. Asking my parents for help is probably actually a really good idea. They like to feel needed and want to do things for me, but I'm always saying I'm ok. It will make them happy to help.
It's a great idea, and will relieve you of the stress you feel about missing work. Dealing with problems does get easier the longer you're sober. It really does.

Sorry you're feeling anxious. Sending you a big HUG.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Because I'm sure you're all dying to know the next installment, the repair guy is coming in the morning at 9am and I am taking time off work to be here. I decided against asking my parents for complex reasons

I am much calmer today and feel my emotions are more in the place that is appropriate for dealing with a faulty computer. I am no longer having a GIANT FREAK OUT ZOMG!

Thanks for your support folks
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope all will be speedily set to rights TL

D
Old 01-28-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee :-)