Notices

How much did you spend a week?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I typically would spend $30-$40 usually on good quality sparkling wine. Now, if I were to attempt and tally how much money I have spent on cannabis I am sure it would be over triple that amount. Funny thing is, it was a lot easier to quit cannabis vs alcohol.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The cheapest bottle of wine around here is $4. That was my drink.

I managed to pay my bills and a roof over my head. I could have done a lot more with my career and education if I hadn't been drunk or hungover all the time. I cost myself a lot of money in that regard.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I would generally drink most or all of a bottle of varietal red wine a night at an average of about $9.00 per bottle. So,about $65.00 per week not counting drinks at restaurants and the occasional beer with lunch. That is about $3400 per year - ouch!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

I managed to pay my bills and a roof over my head. I could have done a lot more with my career and education if I hadn't been drunk or hungover all the time. I cost myself a lot of money in that regard.
Same xxx
Old 01-26-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

It would depend on the week, I mostly drank at home and I drank wine, nothing fancy. I was thinking the other day though, if someone would invite me to go out to get "a couple drinks" (how did I not see how ridiculous that statement was?!) I would find a way to pay, no matter what.

I also forgot, because I would run to the grocery store for wine, you can't just buy wine. You have to buy groceries too! Oy vey. I don't have a number but I know that my bills are more squared away and I don't have that panicked feeling of trying to make 3 dollars stretch four or five days until I get paid.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I went from purchasing a 6-pack a week to spending all the money I had on alcohol-related things in a span of 10 years. It wasn't just the booze (which was very costly). Add in the cab fares, and money I spent in airports and bars and the expense was overwhelming. The drugs cost money too. Oh yeah, and don't forget the medical bills and the rehab costs.

I burned through my entire 401K (my "nest egg" savings) in one year. I could have become a home-owner with that money, gone back to school, invested in my own business, or better yet just left it there for my old age. But I drank it all away, and today I am just finally getting back on my feet financially and starting from scratch.

The crazy part is that the money wasn't even the worst part of it all. I'm pretty damn glad I got out of it alive.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I could probably have bought and paid for a house by now on the money I have wasted over the years. What a thought!!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I used to buy the cheapest booze possible so I could have all the more. Mainly cheap vodka and those revolting boxes of wine. Do they still sell them?
I see people buying the boxed wine at wal mart .
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I see people buying the boxed wine at wal mart .
Someone's buying it, and it isnt the local wine club...
Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Oh yeah, 5 liter boxes?
Great stuff, no clanking bottles, a nice tap to fill your cup, you could even keep it in your car, I learned how to pour while I was actually in transit.
Brutal.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
Oh yeah, 5 liter boxes?
Great stuff, no clanking bottles, a nice tap to fill your cup, you could even keep it in your car, I learned how to pour while I was actually in transit.
Brutal.
I never could get the taste for wine. , but Wally World sure sells a lot .

Someone drinks it .
Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I found one box that was the equivalent of 7 bottles. It was shocking to see how quickly I went through it and I would often buy another one and replace it so my SO wouldn't know I drank it all in a few days.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hubby and I quit together. Figures canme to about 2100 monthly tour the two of us remember we are in NYC and we mostly went to bars
at about 100k for all of our marriage. Which is seven years
I hate that I did that
Old 01-26-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I varied really. Kept in the 30 to 40 dollar a week range for a long time, but near the end I would spend whatever I had. Hundred bucks a week maybe more. It depended on how much I had.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

about 2 1.75 liters of cheap whiskey (kentucky tavern - even made in my town, support the local economy) about $36 a week...but that does depend on the rotating stores, it's less in some
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
p***enger

3-4 liters of cheap gin per week, $45 to $60, more sometimes but that was my day-in, day-out habit. Plus the last couple of years I had a pretty heavy-handed enabler who paid for a lot. (sigh)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I worked it out at around $50 a week, but I might have been underestimating.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

About $70...Cheap magnum per night!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Money is a good motivational driver to quit drinking, but I think I probably spent more when I was a social drinker, due to the nature of prices in bars. I think when people cross the line, they end up drinking at home, alone, and as such the cost goes down.

Having said that, I guess about 150 to 250 US dollars a week on quality wines and beer.

The days of bar and nightclub drinking were a lot more...
Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

$400 a month - though some was for dh too. Anyway - the past two sober weekends, I've gone out and spent some money on long overdue necessities for myself. Like a wonderful, cushy pair of tennis shoes - and a couple of outfits, and gasp - some lotion, just because I looooved the scent of it. The feeling of "pampering" myself (which, honestly was not pampering so much as basic self-care) felt amazing. And I am no longer having sore feet because my old tennis shoes were 4 yrs. old! I've gotten compliments on the pretty scent of my lotion. Those small things feel REALLY good. A helluva lot better than yet another Sunday-Wednesday hangover.