Notices

Acetaminophen is deadly with Alcohol

Old 01-21-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acetaminophen is deadly with Alcohol

I have posted once before about this but it was several years ago. With new evidence coming out every day about this dangerous drug I felt it prudent to warn people again. I know of so many instances where people have used Tylenol to help a hangover and it literally may have hastened liver failure. Read the labels of everything you take and make sure you are informed of the dangers. Here is an excerpt of the latest medical association warning:

Acetaminophen is not meant for hangovers. “Taking acetaminophen with alcohol, even in small amounts, can increase your risk of liver damage and/or kidney disease. The drug is primarily metabolized in the liver, where it is turned into nontoxic compounds that are eliminated through urination. But the liver needs something called glutathione to do that. If your glutathione levels are low -- which can be caused by chronic drinking, an unhealthy diet or fasting -- the drug may be metabolized into a more toxic substance.”

Be careful out there people
Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here is a post response by our member Schem9 from my first thread back in 2010:

This is a HUGE danger and to this day I think it is what made me go down hill so quickly. We had a huge bottle of Acetaminophen at work and I would take them every day to get rid of my hangover. I was not aware of the danger at the time but after I got sick it was brought to my attention. Unfortunately it was to late for me.

This drug is in all kinds of medicines so you need to read the label.

You are right. Alcohol + Acetaminophen = TOXIC, possibly death.

Anyone who is a drinker needs to stay away from it. The combination is deadly!! I am glad you started this.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Good warning. I used to take Tylenol PM sometimes when I drank.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You became affected by the combination Sudz? That warning is scary stuff.

I've heard of it in the past, and I actually don't take anything with that in it anymore just because of my own anxieties in the past. I'd rather just fight through the headache and let it take its course.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saw one of those magazine type shows (Dateline or something) a few years ago and this man was being interviewed who had to have an emergency liver transplant because he had one glass of wine with two Acetomenophins. He wasn't an alcoholic either. His body was just very susceptible to liver damage.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Thank you for posting this!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool

Ahhh, good ole Tylenol.........deadly with alcohol....? Heck, it's just plain deadly. You couldn't pay me to use Acetaminophen. I can't understand why it's still on the market (well, the$$ of course and good lobbies). ...and I truly don't understand why some doctors still prescribe it.

Untreated Acetaminophen overdose results in a lengthy, painful illness. Signs and symptoms of Acetaminophen toxicity may initially be absent or non-specific symptoms. The first symptoms of overdose usually begin several hours after ingestion, with nausea, vomiting, sweating, and pain as acute liver failure starts. People who take overdoses of Acetaminophen do not lose consciousness, although most people who use Acetaminophen wrongly believe that they will be rendered unconscious by the drug. The process of dying from an overdose usually takes three to five days.

Even small overdoses can be fatal. The ratio between fatal doses and therapeutic doses (the therapeutic index) is much smaller than for other over-the-counter painkillers. According to the US Food and Drug Administration as little as 25 percent above the maximum daily dose can cause liver damage when taken over several days. Acute overdoses of Acetaminophen can cause potentially fatal liver damage.

Acetaminophen overdose results in more calls to poison control centers in the US than overdose of any other pharmacological substance.

Acetaminophen toxicity is the foremost, most common, cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.

It is nasty stuff.............

)o:
NoelleR

P.S. When it comes to Acetaminophen, I believe in the Nancy Reagan program.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit acetaminophen years ago when I first heard about the toxicity. I check everything OTC for it. My go to's are plain Bayer aspirin for headaches and Aleve for body aches and pains.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I made the mistake of taking co codomol once before I went to bed, to try and avoid a hangover. Oh my word! the hangover lasted 3 days. I've never heard of this stuff though. Good of you to warn people xxxx
Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Oh Paracetamol!! (just gooogled) yes, really dangerous stuff. xx