Notices

Back to SR after another year of drinking

Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to SR after another year of drinking

Hello everyone,

I have been a member of SR since 2010, have made some short lived well intentioned attempts to quit drinking and am now back because my life is becoming unmanageable.

I’ve been a problem drinker since I was a teenager, became a moderate social drinker when my daughter was young but have slowly ramped it up throughout the years. I am 39 now.

I got divorced last April and my daughter graduated High School and moved out in June. With no one around to hide my drinking from it has gone from bad to REALLY bad.

For the past 6 months I would go back and forth nearly every day of the week from drinking ¾ a bottle of vodka the first night to ¼ the second night. That formula would go out the window for special occasions, of course. I was off of work between December 22 and January 2, I couldn’t even tell you the amount of liquor I consumed during that time.

About a week and a half ago I finally faced the fact that something had to give. I never drank during the day when I was working, but I’m pretty sure people were starting to notice my constant shaking from daily withdraws. My bowels were a mess. I was spending my weekends either drunk or sleeping off a drunk. I have recently taken risks drinking and driving, which I swore I would never do. I always try to hide my drinking unless I am at a social gathering that it is acceptable to be drunk. That would mean many conversations with friends, family, and my new boyfriend on the phone where I was trying to pretend I hadn’t already downed a half a bottle of vodka that night.

I really started to get scared when drinking at 10:00a.m. on a weekend seemed like a good idea to help me recover from the night before, and I was giving into that urge. ****** drunk by midnight on Friday, wake up around 9:00a.m. on Saturday and stumble out to the living room couch. Start drinking again between 10-11a.m. Passed out drunk and hungover by 4:00p.m. wake up around 8:00p.m. and start all over. In recent months I have spent entire weekends never leaving the house or doing a single productive thing.

So… for the past week and a half I have been trying to self-medicate to help me cut back and eventually stop without having a seizure, which terrifies me. I have been having a terrible time sleeping, so I am taking over the counter sleeping pills, up to 75mg a night. I don’t like drinking beer at all, but I have been drinking up to two beers a night if I get too jittery.

I want to stop completely but I am scared for my health, and I think I might need something to help with the anxiety in the beginning. Today I just took a HUGE step. I just called my Drs. Office and made an appointment for tomorrow. When the receptionist asked me what the appointment was for I told her I needed a wellness check-up. When she asked me to be more specific I told her I was trying to quit drinking and I was worried about my health. WOW. I can’t believe I actually going to admit to someone in my real life what I have been trying to hide all these years.

Thank you if you got this far, I know what a tremendous help SR can be if I continue to come here. I am looking forward to joining the February Class and continuing to gain knowledge and wisdom from all of you.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AlaskaGirl - good to see you again, tho I'm sorry you're struggling.

Seeing your Dr is a great idea - it's a good start for making this time have a different outcome
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back AlaskaGirl!!

A Dr is a good start, withdrawals aren't to be messed with, great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post

I just called my Drs. Office and made an appointment for tomorrow. When the receptionist asked me what the appointment was for I told her I needed a wellness check-up. When she asked me to be more specific I told her I was trying to quit drinking and I was worried about my health. WOW. I can’t believe I actually going to admit to someone in my real life what I have been trying to hide all these years.
sounds like a healthy great start on sobriety
best wishes
from
M-Bob
Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Reading your story mirrored mine identically. It was a stark reminder. You can pull it back, honestly. I wish you luck xxxx
Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thinking of you, Alaska girl x
Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back AlaskaGirl! I agree with seeing the dr. I am really glad to see you back here, you'll find a lot of support.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Welcome home.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alaskagirl, be proud of what a great step you've taken! One of the best benefits of sobriety is the way honesty and telling the truth make you feel.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

Hi AlaskaGirl, I'm glad you are going to give sobriety another shot. I had success detoxing on my own in the past, but this last time it had gotten pretty bad (drinking all day, every day) and I did what you are planning on doing. I went to my general doctor first and he helped me medically detox. From there I went to outpatient treatment which included seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist. I also went back to AA, found a sponsor and worked the steps (didn't do that in my past experiences in AA). This combination is working well for me and life is good again.

I am looking forward to joining the February Class and continuing to gain knowledge and wisdom from all of you.
Hopefully you will be sober before the end of the month and you can join the January class!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I'm glad you're seeing the doctor for help in getting safely thru the w/d. Take care of yourself and stay sober. You're worth it!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you back AlaskaGirl. We have to be ready, and it sounds like you are.

My drinking was similar to yours - but in the end I never drew a sober breath. That's when I reached out to SR. It was change or die - I was miserable and terrified. I made it out of hell, and you will too. I'm glad you posted and told your story.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My drinking and my life was exactly like that in the end just 3 weeks ago...drinking and driving again after 2 d.u.is...it was very ugly.I reached out to someone in A.A. (who is now my sponsor)...I just do what she suggests and go to meetings daily..Detox was brutal...being honest with your Dr. is vital.Your making the right choice.Welcome ..keep us posted!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow guys, I am completely overwhelmed by all of your responses. I have happy tears in my eyes. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So glad you decided to reach out to your doctor! Really glad you are back as it seems like you were headed to a bad place pretty fast. Hope you continue to reach out for suport!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Alaska Girl, I have done the same thing except the weekends you described became weeks for me. I self detoxed a couple times but the last time needed medical detox the good news is if you stop you never have to go back.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Alaska Girl...Glad you are here
Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back, hang in there and believe in your power to stop!