Notices

Super Bowl Sobriety Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Super Bowl Sobriety Thread

May be a bit early, but I wanted to start a thread to support those who customarily drank to celebrate the Super Bowl. No doubt that you are struggling to stay sober during the NFL playoffs, so I have an idea: good conversation about triggers, teams and anything else that keeps your mind off drinking this Super Bowl season.

Personally, I'm relieved the match-ups are what they are this weekend. The Chargers just didn't have enough to match up with what the Patriots bring to the table. I'd rather see a close game (on paper) than a unorthodox set of teams playing to a blowout victory.

As for the NFC game, San Fran and Seattle are clearly the best teams in the conference. They might be even more intense than the Niners were with Carolina. That could make for more entertaining play--especially given the high quality of both teams. Carolina had a nice season, but wasn't quite there yet.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Looking forward to watching my Patriots in the Super Bowl from my couch with some chicken Wings and sparkling water
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If you belong to a church or AA/NA, many of those groups host sober Super Bowl parties...with all the indulgent fixins minus the booze!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great idea for a thread. I know many that struggle around this time.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaidenNZ View Post
Great idea for a thread. I know many that struggle around this time.
Indeed. I'll try to keep it going until the season's over.

Live in-game comments are also welcome for any game going forward, in case anyone's really struggling during the games.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitter13 View Post
Looking forward to watching my Patriots in the Super Bowl from my couch with some chicken Wings and sparkling water
Local place for the wings or chain restaurant?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TucTee View Post
May be a bit early, but I wanted to start a thread to support those who customarily drank to celebrate the Super Bowl. No doubt that you are struggling to stay sober during the NFL playoffs, so I have an idea: good conversation about triggers, teams and anything else that keeps your mind off drinking this Super Bowl season.

Personally, I'm relieved the match-ups are what they are this weekend. The Chargers just didn't have enough to match up with what the Patriots bring to the table. I'd rather see a close game (on paper) than a unorthodox set of teams playing to a blowout victory.

As for the NFC game, San Fran and Seattle are clearly the best teams in the conference. They might be even more intense than the Niners were with Carolina. That could make for more entertaining play--especially given the high quality of both teams. Carolina had a nice season, but wasn't quite there yet.
Cool! This past Sunday was my first game-day without the alcohol. I'm rooting for SF, but really think it will be Seattle (despite their rivalry, I like both teams). AFC? I think Denver will win this weekend, but that's such a close call. (And I'm just a run-of-the-mill fan, and all my picks are little more than intuitive.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kensho View Post
Cool! This past Sunday was my first game-day without the alcohol. I'm rooting for SF, but really think it will be Seattle (despite their rivalry, I like both teams). AFC? I think Denver will win this weekend, but that's such a close call. (And I'm just a run-of-the-mill fan, and all my picks are little more than intuitive.
I heard that Seattle and Denver are trying out ticket schemes where they want to sell exclusively to regional fans. Sounds pretty difficult to execute effectively. Scalpers will find a way to crash those parties.

I'm glad the final matchup in the SB will be quality. I'm hoping San Fran and New England, but there's no bad matchup in my eyes.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Local place for the wings or chain restaurant?

Home made! The only other options around me are Buffalo Wild Wings and Wing Stop. both decent but I like mine better.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cheering for the Broncos as binge on hot wings and copious amounts of queso.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Home made! The only other options around me are Buffalo Wild Wings and Wing Stop. both decent but I like mine better.
Homemade here as well. What flavor do you use? Grill or bake? Even though you are a Patriots fan, I suppose we can discuss this
Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
Homemade here as well. What flavor do you use? Grill or bake? Even though you are a Patriots fan, I suppose we can discuss this
haha, yeah I have a Broncos fan at work we have been going back and forth. I bake em, no breading or anything. I prefer frying but it's too messy. I make a buffalo style sauce with butter, franks red hot and I usually add a combination of other hotter sauces like Melinda's Habanero sauce for more kick
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have 2 son in laws one for 49ers one for Seahawks. Im not choosing sides. this weekend, but will have food and fun no alcohol needed.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'll be rooting for my Pats this weekend and hopefully in the SB. I'll get some chicken wings and Mountain Dew and call it good. Will be hard to stay sober if the Pats make the SB and all the parties, but I will.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sb sunday is our annual Xmas party. Im glad my boss asked me to cook all the food for it (im a line cook) but i am worried about what will happen after that. Im planning on making the food and having my ma pick me up once its out. But alot can happen between all that.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I'll be rooting for my Pats this weekend and hopefully in the SB. I'll get some chicken wings and Mountain Dew and call it good. Will be hard to stay sober if the Pats make the SB and all the parties, but I will.
One thing I've discovered in this whole process of sobriety is the simple joy of watching football. I used to just use it as an excuse to drink and not pay attention to the game (even though I'm a fervent sports fan). Now that I'm clear-headed, I've grown more appreciative of the competition within the games and how fun it can be to just watch the games.

Perhaps you could shift your focus from the jubilation of victory (or the despair of defeat) this time around and revel in the simple happiness the games provide--not that which alcohol would artificially provide. It would have been a novel concept if someone suggested the same to me a couple of years ago. I know last year I was sober for the SB and it was just awkward. Still, joy and pride from the game itself is substantial enough to fill the void usually inhabited by alcohol-induced mania.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great thread, it's one of the sporting highlights of my year, I always book the next day off work, the game over here will start at 11:30pm this year, but I've seen me stay up to 5/6am in the morning just watching the game in previous years!!

This year though will be a sober one, I'm still gonna sit up all night watching it, but gonna have to go hard on the snacks and soda!!

49ers could be a dark horse to watch this year, made it through so far as the 5th seed!!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One thing I've discovered in this whole process of sobriety is the simple joy of watching football. I used to just use it as an excuse to drink and not pay attention to the game (even though I'm a fervent sports fan). Now that I'm clear-headed, I've grown more appreciative of the competition within the games and how fun it can be to just watch the games.

Perhaps you could shift your focus from the jubilation of victory (or the despair of defeat) this time around and revel in the simple happiness the games provide--not that which alcohol would artificially provide. It would have been a novel concept if someone suggested the same to me a couple of years ago. I know last year I was sober for the SB and it was just awkward. Still, joy and pride from the game itself is substantial enough to fill the void usually inhabited by alcohol-induced mania.
I second that. I am a huge sports fan and a huge Boston sports fan since I grew up there. The city has obviously had an incredible run over the last 10+ years and I was thinking about how I hardly remember details of watching any of the games. I grew up believing I would die without seeing the Red Sox win a world series and I couldn't even tell you where I was when they one the first world series in 86 years. I know I was pretty drunk somewhere but I don't really remember it.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

My friends hold an Annual Superbowl Commercial Party where we are all sober, have awesome pot luck and home-made foods and desserts and the goal is to watch and discuss the commercials. TV's are available for those interested in the actual football games.

It's a blast with lots of laughs! Open house.....noon until over.....
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I second that. I am a huge sports fan and a huge Boston sports fan since I grew up there. The city has obviously had an incredible run over the last 10+ years and I was thinking about how I hardly remember details of watching any of the games. I grew up believing I would die without seeing the Red Sox win a world series and I couldn't even tell you where I was when they one the first world series in 86 years. I know I was pretty drunk somewhere but I don't really remember it.
The 2004 World Series was unbelievable. I'm not a Red Sox fan but I remember not being able to miss a game, I was that captivated by it. The innocuous comeback in that Game 4 against the Yankees seemed like a win just to save pride. A couple of weeks later, championship in Boston. Great stuff