Notices

Super Bowl Sobriety Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Great thread, it's one of the sporting highlights of my year, I always book the next day off work, the game over here will start at 11:30pm this year, but I've seen me stay up to 5/6am in the morning just watching the game in previous years!!

This year though will be a sober one, I'm still gonna sit up all night watching it, but gonna have to go hard on the snacks and soda!!

49ers could be a dark horse to watch this year, made it through so far as the 5th seed!!
They will be formidable for Seattle to handle. The team is red hot.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TucTee View Post
One thing I've discovered in this whole process of sobriety is the simple joy of watching football. I used to just use it as an excuse to drink and not pay attention to the game (even though I'm a fervent sports fan). Now that I'm clear-headed, I've grown more appreciative of the competition within the games and how fun it can be to just watch the games.

Perhaps you could shift your focus from the jubilation of victory (or the despair of defeat) this time around and revel in the simple happiness the games provide--not that which alcohol would artificially provide. It would have been a novel concept if someone suggested the same to me a couple of years ago. I know last year I was sober for the SB and it was just awkward. Still, joy and pride from the game itself is substantial enough to fill the void usually inhabited by alcohol-induced mania.
I've always been a huge sports fan. Sober or not I'm into the game. Alcohol just made that process more enjoyable. Sports is a trigger honestly, but I'm learning to enjoy them sober.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been a 49ers fan since I was too young to even remember, and have had scarlet and gold running through my veins ever since childhood. Last years game was heartbreaking, but we have the best coach in the league and a lights out defense, that said, I will still be a nervous wreck Sunday, lol.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RSL12 View Post
I've been a 49ers fan since I was too young to even remember, and have had scarlet and gold running through my veins ever since childhood. Last years game was heartbreaking, but we have the best coach in the league and a lights out defense, that said, I will still be a nervous wreck Sunday, lol.
My (proverbial) money is on the Niners. I just don't think Seattle has the offense to match up. It very well could be turnovers converted to points that ultimately affect the outcome.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You guys are boosting my faith in the 49ers versus Seattle. For my 2-cents, they have to go into Seattle with the same psyched-up attitude they displayed in Green Bay, e.g., when Kaep walked onto the field sleeveless. And when they played Carolina, Rivera said at halftime that the 49ers' "antics" were affecting his players, and that they had to tone it down themselves and just do their jobs. Harbaugh's halftime comment: that they (the 49ers) had to amp it up more (not exact words).
Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kensho View Post
You guys are boosting my faith in the 49ers versus Seattle. For my 2-cents, they have to go into Seattle with the same psyched-up attitude they displayed in Green Bay, e.g., when Kaep walked onto the field sleeveless. And when they played Carolina, Rivera said at halftime that the 49ers' "antics" were affecting his players, and that they had to tone it down themselves and just do their jobs. Harbaugh's halftime comment: that they (the 49ers) had to amp it up more (not exact words).
Word is Ric Flair and the ghost of Macho Man Randy Savage are doing a cage match in the basement of Seattle's stadium to pump up the team. Can't imagine the Niners can lose now.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TucTee View Post
Word is Ric Flair and the ghost of Macho Man Randy Savage are doing a cage match in the basement of Seattle's stadium to pump up the team. Can't imagine the Niners can lose now.
LOL! That made my morning!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So who we predicting for the line up for the super bowl after this Sunday's match ups??

-Patriots v Broncos
-49ers v Seahawks
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Rooting for the Pats . . . When they won their third Super Bowl I was trashed, and I started getting angry because of how close the game was in the fourth quarter. After a bad play by Brady I threw a beer bottle into a mirror, which shattered, sending shards all over my apartment.

Good times . . . Anyway, I'm looking forward to a sober playoff weekend, and Super Bowl.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
So who we predicting for the line up for the super bowl after this Sunday's match ups??

-Patriots v Broncos
-49ers v Seahawks
49ers and Broncos. But it's a razor's edge.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm thinking Denver and San Fran at this time. I prefer New England and San Fran. The only matchup I don't want is Denver and Seattle--although I won't complain much. This year's final four isn't repugnant like in some past years
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I read one commentator this morning who predicted the 49ers over the Seahawks, based mostly on the 49ers' offensive line, all else considered in the plusses and minuses for both teams.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The Pats and Broncos are so evenly matched it's really hard to call this one. I'm giving the edge to the Pats having Blount as a great addition. (I hope).

As far as the Niners/Seahawks go I think this will come down to their kicking games but more importantly; clock management. With both QB's being a little bit less experienced this is really crucial and this could win or lose the game for either team.

I'm hoping for a Pats/Niners SB with the Pats taking it.

Either way, the dynamic of watching sober is trippin' me out. This is a huge trigger for me and I was really looking for a sober gathering. Maybe I'll organize one myself. Unfortunately I watch the entire season and having a get together EVERY weekend is a little much. White knuckling these playoffs and SB Sunday.

This is really tough.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nursel View Post
The Pats and Broncos are so evenly matched it's really hard to call this one. I'm giving the edge to the Pats having Blount as a great addition. (I hope).

As far as the Niners/Seahawks go I think this will come down to their kicking games but more importantly; clock management. With both QB's being a little bit less experienced this is really crucial and this could win or lose the game for either team.

I'm hoping for a Pats/Niners SB with the Pats taking it.

Either way, the dynamic of watching sober is trippin' me out. This is a huge trigger for me and I was really looking for a sober gathering. Maybe I'll organize one myself. Unfortunately I watch the entire season and having a get together EVERY weekend is a little much. White knuckling these playoffs and SB Sunday.

This is really tough.
How'd it go, Nursel?

Alright, so we have Denver and Seattle after all? Any predictions on the outcome? I think it's extremely even, given the skill of Seattle's secondary. However, with all the weapons Manning has, I think Denver will overcome Seattle.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I was rooting for SF, but I don't think it was "the 12th man" that beat them yesterday - it was the 11 on the field. You're right about their secondary, but Wilson did an incredible job of keeping plays alive under pressure (though he did get hit a lot). And eventually, Marshawn Lynch broke loose.

I think the matchup with the Broncos is going to be a good one, and I agree that it's largely Manning's offense against the Seahawks' defense - but the real decider might be Seattle's offense: if they play at a higher level, avoid mistakes, and Lynch can get some traction on the ground, then I might give them the edge. (How wishy-washy is that!?)

Really hard to decide, but, just for the heck of it, I'll take the Seahawks.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kensho View Post
I was rooting for SF, but I don't think it was "the 12th man" that beat them yesterday - it was the 11 on the field. You're right about their secondary, but Wilson did an incredible job of keeping plays alive under pressure (though he did get hit a lot). And eventually, Marshawn Lynch broke loose.

I think the matchup with the Broncos is going to be a good one, and I agree that it's largely Manning's offense against the Seahawks' defense - but the real decider might be Seattle's offense: if they play at a higher level, avoid mistakes, and Lynch can get some traction on the ground, then I might give them the edge. (How wishy-washy is that!?)

Really hard to decide, but, just for the heck of it, I'll take the Seahawks.
If Seattle can keep it close, they have a good shot. The weaknesses of each team boosts the other's weaknesses, so it really is a provocative match-up. May come down to which team has the better game--not simply which team is better overall.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Agreed. It should be a fun game to watch.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Time to revitalise this thread with about a week to go!!

Broncos Vs Seahawks then?

Plus anyone checking out this new Pro Bowl format this Sunday? I checked out the draft earlier in the week and it was a bit odd, but might keep things interesting with players from the same teams playing against each other!!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I've never really paid much attention to the pro bowl. Do you know why they decided to go to the new "unconferenced" format?

I've had such a miserable cold this week that I haven't thought about the SB much more, but am looking forward to it. I picked Seattle, but I'm glad that Peyton Manning has had such a good year, and if the Broncos win, I'll be happy for him.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

From what I've read it's all to do with strictly getting the best players throughout the season, to create more of a celebration for the fans, beforehand it was the best of the AFC and NFC, but that might have meant players wouldn't have been in the overall top players across both conferences.

Breaking down that barrier and having almost a fantasy football draft, means it's strictly the best 88 players (44 each) from the season picked!! . . . plus the NFL are great at creating "the fan/publicity experience", so a week long draft buzz adds to all that I guess!!