Notices

Can't stop eating Gummi Bears!!! Grrr!

Old 06-17-2004, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Angry Can't stop eating Gummi Bears!!! Grrr!

It's driving me insane! Great, so now I'll have an addiction to sugar to contend with? Well, in theory, I already do.
:elephant Here I am in a couple of months! LOL! Ah well, better portly than pukey.
Any helpful hints from anyone? Chromium Picolonate (sp) or something?

Danielle
Old 06-17-2004, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

I just realized that people might mistake this as something that I should have actually put in the "Eating Disorders" forum.
I meant...after I stopped drinking...I'm eating way too much sugar. It's a bummer!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by squirrelly77
LOL! Ah well, better portly than pukey.
Danielle!
I went through an intense sugar phase when I stopped the booze. It's tapered quite a bit now. I was hooked on Sweet Tarts. Chewing rolls of them everyday. All in all, since I've started recovery and quit cigarettes as well, I've gained about 15 pounds. I was actually too skinny before!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah the sweet tooth, I've been going through that myself, I tell you some of the things I've been eating, LOL..YIKES.

One cure is not to buy any of it....if it's not there you can't eat it, right? It's tapered off with me too, I've been eating more fruit....but whoa talk about crazy when all you want it sweet things.

Hang in there Danielle, you'll be ok, and yep better to be portly than pukey, LOL.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

last christmas i ate about 16 christmas cookies a day ... recently ive been doing better because my blood sugar gets wacky, but sometimes its out of control! sugar free candy is just as good as the real stuff ... and now theres lots of different sugar free candies available! when i need something to help my blood sugar now i drink orange juice or make a smoothie out of orange juice, strawberries, a banana, and ice. its really good!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

It may be a bummer but perfectly normal. Just try to wean yourself slowly. It sure beats drinkin doncha think?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

I never ate sweets, ever. Yuck!!! I got enough from the sweet nectar from the grape vine. Now I can't get enough. I have to have chocolate. I buy the sugar free Reeses cups. MMMMMMM The best is Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby. It's sinfully fabulous. Just a little won't hurt.

Talia
Old 06-17-2004, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Danielle,
I'm not an alchoholic, but am aware of the tendency for some to binge on sugar...The candy and soda vending machines at the treatment centers are popular hangouts...
I also understand just plain carb addiction...I had to go to a hypnotist to change these tendencies before I became diabetic like my parents.
Like Chy says...better gummie bears than alchohol.
You might want to read a book called Sugar Busters . It explains the cycle of craving and satisfying with carbs,insulin,glycemic index of foods, etc...
I make sure that I drink at least 8 ounces of water before I indulge , eat protien, fiber, and more complex(or low glycemic index) carbs and practice delayed gratification that I learned from my hypnotherapist..and it has certainly slowed me down. I keep a bag of walnuts in my desk drawer. To keep my blood suger level and to stave off the urge for a Snickers bar or worse. And avoid starches like bread and french fries to stay out of the carb >low blood sugar >insulin rise>more car craving+satifsying cycle. Stress also may make you crave sugar...so relaxation tapes and excercise is good for this.
Nows a good time if you can concentrate to study a little about nutrition.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by flea*circus
I make sure that I drink at least 8 ounces of water before I indulge , eat protien, fiber, and more complex(or low glycemic index) carbs and practice delayed gratification that I learned from my hypnotherapist..and it has certainly slowed me down. I keep a bag of walnuts in my desk drawer. To keep my blood suger level and to stave off the urge for a Snickers bar or worse. And avoid starches like bread and french fries to stay out of the carb >low blood sugar >insulin rise>more car craving+satifsying cycle. Stress also may make you crave sugar...so relaxation tapes and excercise is good for this.
Nows a good time if you can concentrate to study a little about nutrition.
This is good info to follow. As alcoholics getting sober, we're instantly throwing our body into shock from lack of carbs which process to sugar that we got from our favorite beverage. It's an amazing thing our bodies, but eventually it subsides. I keep sugar-free hard candy on me, and found those binges hit around my usual drinking time.. so prepare for those times of day with natural sugars such as fruit, and cereals (preferably low sugar content cereal.) ... still gotta have my cocoa puffs though! *hugs*
Old 06-17-2004, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Uh-oh more unwecolmed, unwanted pop-ups

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. Oh, and flea...I think my step-mom has that book. She has everything from The Zone books to the new South Beach Diet book. I've always had a sweet-tooth ever since I was a little kid. But, when I started drinking...I stopped eating like I used to. So, now I'm sort of back to my old habits. But, you and Chy are right...better Gummi Bears than alcohol. Dats Fer Shore!

Danielle
Old 06-17-2004, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, when I stopped drinking everyday, I definately got the sugar cravings. Still have them actually. Somthing I am struggling with also.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Aw man! When was your sober b-day? February? Yucka...I've got four months ahead of me with gooey fingers? No, I'm planning on using the advice given to me here.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-18-2004, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Squirrelly77

flea is right on about the sugar cycle...as you try to wean off sugar try the chorimum and also L-Glutamine...the glutamine helps your body use the glucose you have more efficiently and hleps to lower cravings. Works for me....

My newest addiction like Dot...is the low carb candies that are available now...they have almost no impact on blood sugar and are very good...and yes gummies are better than alcohol...but I have found that I need to curb my carb addiction in order to help me stay away from alcohol....

Mike
Old 06-19-2004, 09:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

HMMMMmm

somebody say GUMMI BEARS?? Im in, whos making the run??
Old 06-19-2004, 02:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Well, Roy, I've now turned to peanut butter (just a tablespoon or so) and whole wheat wraps.
So if you're feeling "nutty" like us squirrells usually do :lame: I'll make a nice peanut butter run.

Danielle <---trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Permanently!
Old 06-19-2004, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dan

I'll take a peanut butter and sweet tart on whole wheat please
Old 06-19-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Only ONE sweet tart Dan? You're not feeling very adventurous! Do like that one chick in The Breakfast Club...crush up a bunch of sweet tarts (although she used Cap'N'Crunch...I know...I'm a product of the 80's, even though I was like 6 when that movie was made) and slam them between two pieces of bread! Oh yeah, and don't forget the straws of sugar. MM MM Good!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

OHHHHH....re-reading that you meant "sweet tart" as in plural...kinda like "jelly". LOL.
Like I told caz...
I may be blonde, but...well...I may be blonde! Tee-hee-hee.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

I have an idea

Reeses cups have peanut butter...does that count? I will even take them between two whole wheat crackers to make it nutritious.
Roy
Old 06-19-2004, 06:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Roy...sure! That's pretty funny. And, strangely...it sounds kinda tasty.