Notices

Mysterious Ways...

Old 06-20-2004, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Mysterious Ways...

I went to an AA meeting tonight and there was a guy in there celebrating 30 days sober. On the chip they were passing around, it had the saying "To Thine Own Self Be True".
I have been saying that to *myself* a lot lately, because I've been needing guidance about some things going on with me. By nature, I'm a "people-pleaser"...I don't like to make waves and things like that...even if it's at the expense of my own well-being.
I just thought--"wow...those EXACT words staring me right in the face" (I've never seen a chip before) And, like I've said...I've been searching my soul to find some answers.
I honestly wasn't expecting THAT! It was quite a pleasant surprise, and I've never felt more calm in a long, long time. There is without a doubt, a HP working in mysterious ways.

Danielle

Last edited by squirrelly77; 06-21-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Danielle
Thank you for sharing that.
I love surprises like that.
glad you were at the on-line meeting tonight.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by squirrelly77
And, like I've said...I've been searching my soul to find some answers.
Yep. Once we accept that we must be honest with ourselves in every aspect of our recovery, it becomes easier to face our character defects such as "people pleasing", one of my favorites
Thanks for coming to the meeting and sharing
Old 06-20-2004, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Thanks Kellie...fer sure! I LOVE saying that
I'm glad you were there too!

Danielle
Old 06-20-2004, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by squirrelly77
I By nature, I'm a "people-pleaser"...I don't like to make waves and things like that...even if it's at the expense of my own well-being.
Danielle
Me too. I just have this anxiety over fitting in. I often put on a show, tell people what they want to hear. Have trouble voicing my opinions. But I did talk /w my sponsor about this. It felt good to at least be honest with him.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you mean Danielle.When I got to AA I heard also these slogans and sayings that just seem to hit home.It was as if they were written especially for me.

"To thine own self be true" remains one of my favorites but there were some others that I drew great comfort from.

"This too shall pass" is another because as an alcoholic I had the naievity to believe that the good times would always be good and the hopelessness of believing that bad times would always remain.

"This too shall pass" helps me to remember that to everything there is a season.

Thank you for that thoughtful post.