Notices

Being an alcoholic doesn't go away - Life lesson

Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Being an alcoholic doesn't go away - Life lesson

I've been sober for 9mos. and I have grown and learned so much. I'm a different person. Stronger, healthier, happier, etc. And then..
A family crisis today and for the first time in I don't know how long the immediate reaction was drink.
I didn't & I won't but it was scary!!!
I was having thoughts of what I would buy, how quick I would drink it, blah blah. Then had that body crave like in the beginning of quitting. It all just hit in waves.

I learned today that being an alcoholic means:
- It's always there.
- I can't get rid of it or put it to aside. NOT even NOW!! not while I have to handle life matters these next rough days.

And the most discouraging being an alcoholic means always having a problem no matter how far you've come. It's always there.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is true that there is no "used to be an alcoholic". It is in remission and stress can boil it right to the surface.

That is when I must reach out to others. Share my problems and get advice. There is no way I could remain sober on my own. I have to allow myself lean on others.

Just remember that just because it is there, does not mean you have to react to it, listen to it and in some cases do anything about it. Use the tools to move past it and pray for peace an serenity. The waters will calm. That roller coaster does not go away but it does get much easier to ride if we remain calm.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being an alcoholic doesn't go away. But for me anyway,the cravings did.
I had a violent craving at the 6 month mark. I had another one not as bad at about the 9 month mark. The last one at 9 months,I was helping someone move. I was tired, and hungry. (something we shouldn't let happen if we can avoid it the first year or so).
But I havn't had a bad craving since. It was like the demon was putting up one last fight.
I do still have reactions. Like when I see a sign along the highway with a big bottle of beer. But it's only for a second. It is more of a reflex.
But I have to respectfully disagree.
While the fact that we can't drink normally does not go away.
The fact that we can live normally is true.
That could have possibly been(and hopefully was) your last bad craving.
Fred
Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a very similar experience recently. I have 17 months sober. Really bad news at work this week...and my first thought is about alcohol. Just like you, didn't act on it but spooked that it's always there.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

2 years sober in a couple of days and I am wondering where my cravings have gone as above I might get a thought if I see something about drink or related to it bit that's easily dealt with , nothing like the crazy intense cravings I battled with in the first year.

I would not call myself an alcoholic now , someone that was heavily addicted to something yes.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Everyone has problems but they don't always use like us because of them. I dread certain things happening and still wonder how I will cope ten years on. Life is tough sometimes and we just have to be vigilant. xxxxx
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I think it's a default setting for us and will always be there. But GracieLou is right - we don't have to act on it. And Nevertheless is right, too. We CAN live normally
Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all, all the reponses were helpful and helped bump me back up. Yesterday is over, I made it thru the night and feeling so much better.

I say this test "I Passed"
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

And the most discouraging being an alcoholic means always having a problem no matter how far you've come. It's always there.
Sorry you feel that way about your sobriety. There is nothing discouraging about sobriety for me. It is proof that I can achieve things, huge things, if I decide to do so. I can leave a soul and life destroying addiction behind me, learn and do new things, completely change my life around. I have the respect of my family now, and most important, I respect myself. My past will never define who I am today.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Jean77 View Post

Yes, it's always there.

However, untreated alcohol-ISM is completely different from treated alcohol-ism. When I had untreated alcohol-ISM, I thought abut drinking 24x7. It was like walking a tightrope all day every day.

When I found a way to treat my alcohol-ism, thoughts of drinking completely left my mind root and branch. It is now like walking across a four lane bridge all day every day. I still must cross the chasm every day, but now it is neither dangerous or frightening. I can afford to stumble, zigzag and even weather a storm if need be.

Recovery only starts with not-drinking. There is so much more to recovery than abstinence that it is like comparing a sand box to Waikiki Beach.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Driving the family home after a long plane trip young daughter barfs all over the car my first thought was "Man I am so glad that I don't drink anymore!" I must be making progress.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm never 100% relaxed. Only fourteen days sober for me, feeling great but always the chance of a slip up