Notices

I REALLY REALLY want to drink, help

Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I REALLY REALLY want to drink, help

Okay, so when I'm at home there's NO problem in staying sober. But now I am visiting some friends and I would club a baby seal for a glass of wine. Just one glass. Or two. Or three. How do I stop myself? I don't know if I can.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I found it easier to think about NOT drinking. Think about any pleasant things in your past or the steps involved in making a cake or something that involves time consuming endeavors. I needed to avoid the BS of glamorizing drinking.

BE WELL
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by KatieA View Post
... I am visiting some friends and I would club a baby seal for a glass of wine. Just one glass.
When was the last time you had ONE glass of wine? Knowing that, don't even go there. You don't want one, you want as many as it takes to curb the cravings.

This is the fight of early sobriety. Not drinking when you mind tells you, "Drink." Just remember why you are quitting and that it just gets harder to quit when you cycle from drinking to not drinking, back to drinking.

Also, if being at your friends is a trigger, go home.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MB8

I related to something someone said and it helped me. I was always feeling sorry for myself and constantly saying " it Sux that I can't drink ". Try instead to say to yourself " I choose not to drink". That puts the ball more in your court and takes the power away from the drink. And remember, you really have to concentrate on just not drinking today. Worry about tomoro tomoro. Never again was devastating to me. Helped me. You can do it. :-)
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try setting an ultimatum for yourself that you cannot drink, no matter what. That way, whether you want to drink is immaterial: you simply can't.

If that doesn't work, I agree with Doggonecarl: think about the feasibility of moderation and also consider what abstaining has achieved for you so far.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fill up on something else. A coffee and danish or some other food item you like. It will help take the edge off.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm certainly no expert as I'm still pretty new but changing my mindset as others have mentioned helped. I think to myself "I don't drink" period. I don't allow myself any debate or discussion and I certainly don't allow any friends or other people to discuss or debate that fact.

The rational recovery stuff has helped me
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's true, if you're in early stages, just don't go. Maybe you're not feeling good or something suddenly has come up?

But, if you must go, try getting an exotic non alcoholic drink? May sound lame, but get something you don't usually have, soda? Energy drink? Seltzer with cranberry and lemon? Sip this drink, if it helps you can even get in the mindset that it had alcohol in it! Drink it slowly, get ice, anything out of the normal that you would usually have.

This should trick the part of your brain craving that beast.

Hope this helps! All of the other comments are really great as well, I'm sure you will be totally fine, and have a great time with your friends : ))
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I only go to social events if I know there will be things like music, nibbles, coffee or nice soft drinks., so I don't just sit there like a lemon watching people drink. You can join in with all the other stuff. It gets easier xxxxx
Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

The thing to do is to be prepared. I don't know anyone who's done that by thinking, writing or acting their way through sobriety. Being prepared, to me, means working on my sobriety, getting as much help as I can stand, and building reliable supports. Without all that, I'd still be drunk. Or, more likely, dead.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi Katie
I never had 1 or 2; but as many as could till fell over. Would suggest exercising, walking & or get another new set friends in recovery groups
Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was just about to put similar post. I just got back from lunch with my friend. She RA going on 10 years. So it seemed like great plan. Lunch with my RA friend who is also my sponsor.
Well, lets just say we left the restaurant early. Did not know this Cafe served champagne. My RA friend did not realize either. Restaurant just got licensed last month. I could smell and hear the flukes touching each other. Such joy and pain at same time. We got up and left only because my friend insisted. I said I could tough through it, and she said "why the bleep would you do that silly?". I forgot I was with a RA of 10 years. I thought I was going to go insane. Or club a seal if one was near.
But wow I am so glad I didn't have a drink. 45 minutes and a panic attack later and I am ok.
At least I realize I am not ready to go anywhere yet that has any possible chance of liquor. Not even close yet. Who knows, it may be forever that I have to be aware of my surroundings.
I AM NOT NOR WILL NOT GO BACK TO THAT INSANITY CYCLE. That is how I made it through the day so far.
Good luck with today.
I will be honest and say that if I was with anyone else, today would have been a whole different day... and tomorrow worse...Thanks to my voices in my head to finally decide "not have a drink". I am going to enjoy rest of day 11..andreally thankful tomorrow will be day 12, not day 1 again...
Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Fill up on something else. A coffee and danish or some other food item you like. It will help take the edge off.

WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree ,eat something . I just woke up used to drink beer after a nap ,
But I just knocked back 1/2 a "fifth" of v-8 fusion strawberry