Notices

Vivitrol Injection

Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivitrol Injection

Currently I am taking Revia for my cravings for alcohol but my insurance company just approved for me to receive the Vivitrol injection on the 14th, does anybody know any helpful information on this...or had the injection themselves? Thank you
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't used either medication.
Its the same drug, essentially. Vivitrol is an extended-release form. The Vivitrol should be easier because its a (monthly) injection instead of taking the ReVia orally, I guess daily?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel pretty naive, I didn't know there was such thing as a drug that curbed alcohol cravings..
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've taken it in the past. When I got the shot, I felt a little nausea, but that went away rather quickly(side effect). I got one every month at my out patient.

I ended up drinking on it. It was a very weird experience. The euphoria or "buzz" or whatever you want to call it wasn't there. It scared the hell out of me. So what does my AV say? "Lets drink a lot more and drink it really fast so we can try and override this thing".

My issue was, with Vivitrol, I saw it as a cure. I remember being in inpatient and saying how I was going to take the injection and I should be all set since there is no point in drinking if you can't feel the desired effect. I attended outpatient but I didn't do anything else, so I ended up still drinking(as mentioned, even heavier then before).

I did find it helped reduce my cravings at first, and like I said, that euphoria was gone too, but I simply did nothing else and don't think I was really fully committed to quitting at the time.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the comments, I will let you know how I make out. I find that the Naltrexone helps curb my desire to drink and the one time I did drink on it, much like newman, I didn't feel the buzz, but I got sicker than a dog after I tried to accelerate the process.