Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Reactions people had to you while drinking that no longer happen sober

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My example: Whenever I would ask a friend to go to lunch or dinner with me, their first reation would be to check their schedule. They would either say "oh, sorry, I have to work early the next morning so no thanks!" or "I have the following day off so let's go!" because lunch or dinner with me meant an all out drink fest accompanied by barely touched food.

It makes me sad that I encouraged so many people to overindulge. I think it was an attempt to make myself feel less abnormal. The proof was in the pudding though because come 1:00 am my friends would be throwing up or passed out while I continued to quietly sip my wine. (And had likely started drinking hours before we met up) I guess I was the "life of the party" and someone people looked forward to going out with. For them it was a once-in-a-while night out. For me it was life.

I am so grateful that people don't have to make themselves sick to be around me anymore.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another one: At the bar/restaurant I went to frequently I ordered an orange juice during my pregnancy. It was before I was showing. The bartender poured half a glass of OJ and then said "OJ and?" He was shocked when I said I just wanted the juice.

I know on a personal level nearly all the bartenders in town. I won't get to see their reactions for the most part because I don't plan on entering a bar anytime soon.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Now that I'm not drinking I find that I actually listen more and converse more easily with people as I am not focused on how s***ty I feel or on getting my next drink. It makes life much more interesting and fun actually. Who knew?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have lost all my friends to the point where I hand a handful say to my face, "we love you man, but I aint hanging round while your drinking, its too embarassing" and then I have a handful who would go out with me then not call for months, then call me outta the blue because they wanted to drink...I could always be relied on to have booze and drink...sad
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have always been the life of the party as well...I think people invited me at the end b/c they needed entertainment when I got drunk (which was everytime)... I wonder how this is going to go over with those people. I am in a Bunco group where we roll dice. Everyone there drinks. I am thinking I will skip this month until I feel more secure. Lord knows I do not want to SLIP.