Notices

Unemployed and Sober

Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unemployed and Sober

This last June I graduated college at 28 years old and made the decision to quit drinking shortly after, because I felt I needed to make a change. Things prior to graduation were all over the place for me. My head wasn't in it at all, and I was barely doing enough to scrape during my last quarter. I was partying a lot and taking adderall on occasion to cram for exams. Fortunately, I graduated with a 3.0+ gpa and had some good work experience working for an import/export firm both here in the states and in South America.

I was pretty optimistic that I would be able to find employment after I graduated, but it certainly hasn't been the case. It's been about 7 months since I graduated and to no avail. I've applied for over 100 jobs during this time span and within that I have only gotten a handful of interviews. To be honest, I felt if I could make all these positive changes in my life that good things would happen, almost like it would be owed to me. But I've definitely come to the realization that no one owes me anything. Just because I'm sober it doesn't mean a job is going to fall in my lap.

I think that's what makes things hard for me. I feel good about being sober, even though times could certainly be tough and tempting, but without being able to progress forward in my life I just feel stagnant. I've started to get involved in volunteering to go out and help and do something positive.

I know things could certainly be worse and I try and tell myself that, but everything feels like the movie The Groundhog Day. Every day seems all too familiar from the last.

I'm almost 7 months sober, no job, I live with my folks and things haven't been feeling too positive lately. Sorry for the ramble, I really just needed to vent, but I would appreciate anyones advice and/or opinions.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember when I was young and had a hard time finding a job. So I feel for you.

If I may, if you got to the interview means you were pretty close to have the job. Interviews take practice. One thing people don't know is that most of the time you can ask for an informal review with the employer. It will help you identify your weak points. And, an employer might even hire you because you don't give up easy.

Be well, and sober!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

4 years ago it was looking like I could retire in good shape if things just held out. (I'm 53 now). But the bottom completely feel out of my occupation. I "could" take a job for about half of what I used to make in the same field. But I think things will just keep declining,which would leave me pushing 60 starting over.
So I chose to try to start over now,because the older I get the odds of someone giving me a chance doing something different just keep going down the older I get. I took a course at the local community college that boasted employment at the end. I have a job. But I think the very first job I ever had when I was 15 was a better job than this one. Of course I knew the first couple years would suck till I get some experience and start making a wage that isn't so embarrassing. I saved quite a bit of money through the good times. But it's still depressing.
I have a lot of old friends that are having a pretty rough time also. Not only can they not find steady work,but their kids are having a hell of a time also.
I'm just saying you are NOT alone. Keep firmly planted in your mind. The little devil on your shoulder might be saying a drink sounds like a good idea. But it won't be long after you take it you'll be beating yourself up wondering what the hell you were thinking.
Be persistent. the good things in life take hard work. I realize you figured once you graduated it would get easier. But I think times are a lot tougher than we are being told. Stay the course,and things WILL get better.
Don't forget to vote every election. If you are unemployed,you have time to research the issues. Vote for jobs,not government jobs. Small business jobs.
More people than we will ever know about died to give us that right.
I feel there are a LOT of people here that would be a lot less depressed if the job market was better. I'll shut up now.......
Fred
Old 12-31-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

i sat around for a while after i sobered up wondering why life wasnt somehow $hits and giggles since i got sober. I think i wondered that for at least a year into sobriety if not more. heck even now over 2 years in i'll catch myself thinking why does this have to be so crummy i'm sober everything should be friggen fantastic now. But the reality is its a battle day in and day out to remain focused on the good things.

I did not sober up and get wealthy I have no idea where that beer money went i'm still broke all the time. I still got problems Life kept on going after i sobered up. It didnt just slow down for me and become awesome all the sudden. Nope the problems kept happening life goes on.

Now i can sit around and rattle off all the Nonsense i went through in the last 2 and a half years I can let it get me down and make me feel bad and make me wanna drink etc.. Or I can sit around and think about the good things that have happened and the progress i've made in many areas. I find if i sit around being thankful and appreciative of the good stuff and try to put the bad stuff to the side it perks me up and makes me feel better.

At a time like yours where your out of work with time on your hands just dont waste the time. I've been in simlier situations and I read books learned new skills got other projects done some put money in my pocket many did not most just gave me something to do and a sense of accomplishment and maybe made me a bit more knowledgeable etc.. and other things just passed the time and kept me from focusing on the bad aspects of my present situation and dilemmas.

If you decide you'd like to pick up again you can just add that problem to your list of problems too. I dunno but i'd imagine your trying to make your list of problems smaller not bigger. At least drinking aint on the list sometimes thats all ya got to be proud of. but its a pretty big something.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Work on your sobriety and your confidence will shine through. Good luck for the new year xxx
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey every one I'm only one day sober I need major help I called I rehab there getting back too me asap I think I'm just gonna go I got nothing to lose rite I'm so scared though
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on one day sober.stretch28
Why don't you start your own thread. You probably would get more responses.
Nothing to be scared about though Rehab might not get back for a while being new years.
This is probably their busiest time of the year.
Fred
Old 01-01-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel ya buddy. I was in a similar spot recently myself. I was so frustrated. You probably feel like you've done so much positive work to be sober...yet you get zero rewards! You can't even get an interview! It's absolutely maddening and can drive a person into a bad place. I got into a real negative place for a while there while I was unemployed after returning to the States (july-october)...I started lashing out at everyone and began isolating myself, which didn't help. You seem like a more social person so that's good.

Anyway, I hear your venting loud and clear. Keep doing what you are doing, good things will happen.

PS : try the Reddit r/jobs forum, that is a good place to vent and get advice!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Something will break for ya. One things for sure, drinking wont make it easier to find work. Just stay the course and keep trying. It will happen for ya!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For myself the most important thing in my life is employment. I put it before sobriety and everything else. No one else is going to pay my bills. It's why I'm currently doing high end liquor demos at upscale supermarkets. It's risky because I could sample my supply but it's job. I sat around and just watched television for a year sober and became disgusted with myself.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My experience has been just keep doing the right thing and things can change on a dime in a positive direction. I got laid off 7 months sober, was single, and had to move out of San Diego because of money, and was so used to negative stuff that I didn't think anything good would come from being sober and doing the right things.

Over time, things just started to pan out and now I've had a great job for almost 2 years, am married, and living in a great city. When I was drinking, stuff always seemed to not workout in terms of jobs and relationships, but the opposite has happened being sober, even through the tough times.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am actively looking for work also, I wish you the best of luck it wasnt easy but I finally started getting some interviews now, not great paying jobs , but who cares, just sitting around not working makes for "devils time" in my book