Notices

knowing who to tell you do no drink

Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

knowing who to tell you do no drink

Recently at work the drinking issue came up and I told a coworker that I no longer drink. She asked why and I made the mistake of telling her about my last drinking episode and how it affected me and my job. After I confided in her she seem to be avoiding me. This has left me in a bad state. I have been sober over a year. and proud of my commitment to this program. Lately I feel I am living in 2 worlds and their not connecting. I am at a loss. Just where does the honesty begin and end. Anyone have these experiences.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi whosetoblame

I think there's a lot of stigma and misinformation about alcoholism in the wider community.

I told everyone when I quit, but I was a very public drunk. Even so, I'd do it differently now.

I always advise people to be wary of who they tell.
Whats done is done in this example, but I'd be more careful from here on in.

I think it's information best shared with those people you trust the most.
Work colleagues by and large, I don't think need to know.

D
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was more Successful in My Recovery, I told others I was a PIG and Totally Overdid it-I Never got any Negative Reaction to This...I don't know-Perhaps it's all in the WORDING?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I commend you for being honest with a work colleague. I still lie.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've told my work friends and my boss that I'm not drinking because I'm triathlon training - best part is that it's true I'm training, but that's not why I'm not drinking ! They ask no questions after that
Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whosetoblame View Post
Recently at work the drinking issue came up and I told a coworker that I no longer drink. She asked why and I made the mistake of telling her about my last drinking episode and how it affected me and my job. After I confided in her she seem to be avoiding me. This has left me in a bad state. I have been sober over a year. and proud of my commitment to this program. Lately I feel I am living in 2 worlds and their not connecting. I am at a loss. Just where does the honesty begin and end. Anyone have these experiences.
People are such hypocrites. Like your co-worker doesn't have any personal issues or skeletons in her closet...

In the future, avoid discussing this with co-workers and, as Dee said, confide in the ones you trust.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whosetoblame View Post
I have experienced rejection after confiding in people. I understand.

I think it's awesome how well you are doing.

It may be helpful to talk about alcoholism, or the truth about your drinking with people that understand versus the general public.

Don't worry.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand what you mean about two worlds. I have two families. One is my mother and children and in the other is my AA/recovery family.

The two have never met.

Sometimes I find it difficult to deal with because I love them both so much. I want to blend them but that wish to blend them would be for me, not for them.

There is no benefit, that I feel, would come from the mixing of the two. While I understand both, they would not understand each other.

I feel it is best to keep it separate but I am a very private person and it has nothing to do with honesty. To thine own self be true. We need to be honest with ourselves. If we are honest with ourselves and our sponsor or the people we look to for support then that is all that is required and in many cases, all this is needed.

I have found that the only people that can really understand and not judge, is another recovering alcoholic.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Mostly I was lucky, but I told and still tell who I am close to or acquainted to on a daily basis. It becomes easier after a while, especially when you realise that those who turn their back on you aint worth tuppence. That's my opinion anyway . Good luck xxx
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My co-workers know I train MMA, elevating my fitness will be the reason I offer I no longer drink. It will come up since travel and drink are part of our business culture. Nothing good can come from telling coworkers IMO, and I'm not willing to risk my lively hood on it. But everyone close to me personally knows, I have nothing to hide there.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i tell most people i am laying off the booze for diet purposes. my true, close friends and some family know the truth.

it has been hard for me to tell some people as i get so worried that things are going to change and that people may resent me for it. especially old drinking partners. i know that i cannot live my life based on their view of me or their expectations, but let's be honest: it is tough.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have found that the vast majority of people really couldn't care less if one drinks or not. Our alcoholic minds make us falsely assume that others are going to care, but in reality they don't. I can count on one hand the number of times someone has even questioned why I wasn't drinking, and they were all people who knew me as a drinker previously. Others simply don't even think twice about it as only we (alcoholics) obsess about it.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whosetoblame, congratulations on your over a year! Well done!

Devils advocate here, you just never know what her experiences are with alcoholism, and maybe the conversation was a trigger for her. Maybe she grew up in an alcoholic home, maybe she is a problem drinker herself. You just really never know.

It's unfortunate that she made you feel bad about opening up....if she was friendly enough for you to open up to, then judgment doesn't seem as likely to me as she possibly has had her own circumstances with alcohol - past or present.

Before I knew anything about the disease (non addict, codie here), I had a semi close friend tell me about several horrible episodes with drinking, and that they were an alcoholic. I was an idiot. I minimized it, told them that I hadn't noticed how much they drank, and I continued to meet them for beers. I just had NO idea what "I am an alcoholic" meant - AT ALL.

I *should have asked her questions about the disease. I should have stopped enabling. I should have learned about detachment. I should have told her i was there for her if she ever wanted to get help.

I hope you don't take it personally, I would say there is a very good chance that it might not have much of anything to do with you.

Now, If I was talking to an acquaintance at a party, and they told me a story about their last go for with booze before quitting, I'd probably wig out in the completely OPPOSITE way than I did back then - lol, "OH dear! Let's get you outta here, do you need a hug, I'm so sorry, I'll drink water with you!" HAHA Ok, off to a meeting for me
Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We met a client for dinner ,Client drank two beers . He asked me "your not drinking "?

I said "no it bothers my stomach ,That's true ,it does sometimes .

Im very selective "who" I tell anything to .

Remember this phrase "ANYTHING YOU SAY WILL BE USED AGINST YOU IN THE COURT OF LIFE "

I share details on a need to know basis .
Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

There is a big difference between telling people I don't drink and telling them personal details of my drinking history.

If someone offers me a drink, I accept and ask for something that doesn't have booze in it. It's hardly ever an issue. If they offer an alcoholic beverage I say no thanks.

If they ask if I drink I say no.

If they ask why I say "it doesn't agree with me" or if I'm in an off mood I say "nosey little bastard aren't you!"

just kidding about that last bit.

I don't get into my drinking history the same way I don't get into my medical history or talk politics and religion with people I work with. No one's business and the repercussions are endless.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know and have known lots of people that don't drink ,never did drink ,were never alocholics ,just don't drink .

Non -drinkers is actually VERY common .
Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm also someone that is very fitness oriented and very conscious about what I put into my body...except for the booze. So luckily I can turn down drinks at work and tell coworkers I'm not drinking and they don't question it because they assume it's for health/diet purposes.

So my advice, find a healthy/fitness related hobby to fill up your time. It will obviously be good for you and it gives you an easy excuse when the question comes up
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I first quit ,I used to tell my previous drinking buddies .

I drank my boxcar load ,im done .
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I have found that the only people that can really understand and not judge, is another recovering alcoholic.
Right on the money GracieLou!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Man, I can relate to this. People in my office talk about drinking pretty frequently, so it wasn't long before they found out I don't drink anymore. I have made the mistake (at least I consider it a mistake) of revealing that I used to work in the bar scene, and also I that accidentally injured myself once due to over-intoxication. I feel like anyone with half a brain could connect the dots and realize I am an alcoholic.

I am probably over-reacting slightly, but the reality is that it's probably best for me (and other alcoholics) to avoid any remotely controversial topics when the topic of drinking comes up. That can be surprisingly difficult due to the fact that many of my discussions as a drinker pertained to stupid things I and others did while drinking, so it almost seems like a "normal" conversational topic. The longer I am sober, though, the more I realize how stupid it is to talk about drinking follies, ESPECIALLY at work.