Notices

knowing who to tell you do no drink

Old 12-31-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just say I don't drink, because it's the truth. If people ask why, I just say it's not for me or something along those lines. Most people don't care if you drink or not but for some reason people want to know why. If I said I didn't drink coffee would people ask why?

I know why I don't drink, and that's all that matters.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

These days, when asked why you're not drinking all you ever have to say is, "I'm driving," or, if that's implausible, "I have to drive later."

And telling people you "don't drink," is setting yourself up for failure IMO, hubris attracting nemesis.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I own my own company. I never told any of my employees I quit drinking. But I think within a month everyone knew ive changed. It doesn't take a genus to see real change in people. I wasn't fooling anyone coming in sick and hungover. Now I enjoy seeing the people that work for me. No one's mentioned anything. But they all know. And thats fine by me.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good question and one that comes up often here. My alcoholism and collapse was pretty public - so when I'd quit, I made that public too. Today I wish I had kept the lid on it, but that's okay.

I'd suggest keeping it close to the vest. You always can share that info....later. But once you do let the cat out of the bag, it's out of your control. As others have said, I think most colleagues don't care either way. I think if normies knew how much we obsess about this question they'd be amazed.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just tell people that I don't drink but I don't mind saying that I quit because I'm an alcoholic if I think it might help someone realize that it is possible. I know that type of information made an impression on me during my drinking years.