Notices

I prayed real hard tonight

Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I prayed real hard tonight

So tonight I prayed real hard and meant it. I asked god to remove the obsession to drink and he did. I felt a sense of peace fill me and inner knowing real hard to explain I felt gods love. Maybe I am cuckoo in the head but I don't care this is the first time I feel good in a long time. I will call my sponsor first thing in the morning and tell her. Has this ever happened to anyone else.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome!! That is what my sponsor recommended to me when the obsession came. That, in addition to calling people from the program. I just started this and still have been trying old instinctual behaviors/thought patterns to battle the obsession("I've got this under control", etc), but this post does give me some hope. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't had this experience but it sounds wonderful. I hope it carries you forward to a brighter future. Wishing you all the best in your recovery
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. I was calm, peaceful and serene. I had finally surrendered not only in my head but in my heart.

I had this from day one. That moment of clarity when it all makes sense and it seems now to be so simple but yet it was so hard to grasp the first time.

I feel it is a gift and I am willing to do whatever it takes to hang on to it.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks for sharing that Anoronha. I believe that what you have experienced, is a spiritual experience.

It’s almost universal, for people who have had them, to express that what they have experienced is difficult, if not impossible to explain. There is even a word for this quality. It’s called ineffable.

Mine was similar. Knowing but not knowing how I knew. When it ended I was afraid to tell anyone because they might think I was nuts. I even wondered about this a bit myself. For some time afterward my sponsor was the only one who knew. Then I read “The varieties of religious experience” by William James. I found that, in many respects, my experience was not unique.

You have experienced a higher understanding, through an act of grace. You have been given a gift.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it happened to me, too. Prayer is so powerful.
I once wrote down a prayer when I was a BAD drunk. The next day I called AA and God sent me an Angel.
Prayer is very important to me in my recovery. I pray for the alcoholics and addicts still using and those in recovery.
It works.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great! Just keep it up - prayer is a discipline that will save you in your darkest hour - try it on your knees for a real shot of humility . And remember that you won't always get a great feeling from it, sometimes you will. But regularity - starting and ending your day with it can go a long way towards staying sober one day at a time.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovery Padawan

It's happened to me too. It's positive stuff
Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this.
Yes it did happen to me, 8 and a bit months ago and i've spent the last 8 and a bit months trying to figure it! Lol.
It feels like the struggle is over and the time to get on with life anew.
Kinda knew i hadn't gone bonkers, after all my sponsor did say 'expect it' but nice to hear anothers' experience proves i'm not just one sandwich short of a picnic!
Gx