Notices

Not enjoying having counselling sessions

Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovery Padawan

Not enjoying having counselling sessions

The title sums it up really.

I've had a few sessions with my key worker and it's seems to me that we're on different planets ( possibly in a different universe ). This afternoon in particular was surreal. I'm tempted to quit these sessions and stick to A.A. meetings and working the steps. Problem is though I need the counselling as some sort of proof that I'm engaging. Would it be a good idea to ask for a different counsellor? I'm pretty sure my stupid mouth will start wisecracking at some point.......
Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Definitely ask for someone different. They may not be able to, especially if they all have heavy case loads, but it is worth a try. I have had more than one keyworker who I didn't click with. But it really helps if you can tell them what you want from the sessions too. If this is something you have to do you may as well make the most of it.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I preferred counselling sessions myself. But, in my case, it had to be someone who had been through the same thing and come through it. I had trouble taking advice from someone who had learned about alcoholism from books etc x
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Addiction counseling isn't any different than other things in life, you don't always (and shouldn't have to) "click" with every professional you meet. But unlike other things in life, when talking about addiction counseling, if you don't click, you need to make a change. Going along with a bad match could result in a relapse. Request (no demand) a change in counselor. If asked cite "personality differences" or "differences in recovery philosophy" as your reason.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't agree with everything my counselor said but I took what I liked that he said and put it to good use. The rest I just listened through but didn't apply it to my recovery scheme. For me, having a counselor was mostly about having accountability to myself by not wanting to look bad to a professional. I'm not sure why it worked better than my Wife or Mother keeping on me the way they did but rather something about them having an official status. It kept me sober and served a purpose, when I got far enough away from my last drink that I felt counseling had outlived its usefulness I stopped going.

It really did help me in the beginning though and it didn't matter how much I agreed with him. It was always about the mechanism of feeling accountable to him that kept me sober when I needed it.