Notices

Jetlag - Hangover

Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jetlag - Hangover

Ha,

So I did a long haul flight on Friday of last week. 14 hours with a 9 hour time difference.

As you can imagine, I had some pretty major jetlag.

Well, the symptoms were frighteningly similar to a hangover...

- zero energy
- paranoia and dread
- irregular toilet pattern
- desire to consume fast food and not cook
- extreme fatigue, leading to four hour deep sleep sessions which upon waking left me unable to sleep again at the correct time
- inability to concentrate

Etc.

Horrific!

How did I do a decade of feeling like that every day?!?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you fly east or west? I noticed a discernible difference flying form southeast Asia to California than the other way around. Much worse coming back to the states.

Ugh.

I found just sleeping when sleep called for a few days the only cure. It would come back and bite me in the rear for a couple of weeks, but I think that is due to the length of time I was in SE Asia.

A good reminder that life on life's terms takes a toll and adding alcohol to the equation would have really sucked.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Flying East, yeah. Slightly better today. I was completely hammered yesterday. Madness!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

If I can't sleep all night it feels like a hangover, I have a bad cold now and it feels like a hangover. Bummer
Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
If I can't sleep all night it feels like a hangover, I have a bad cold now and it feels like a hangover. Bummer
I noticed this too! Not the cold situation but if I can't sleep when I finally do and wake up the next morning I have the cobweb feeling.

I've also heard that when you travel from west to east the jet lag is worse.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This has got me thinking that a major problem with drinking, as well as the poisoning is also extreme, and constant exhaustion
Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

drinking seriously messes up your sleep patterns. It would help me get to sleep but would always night me in the but by not allowing me to get rest. I do too find that some nights when I get little sleep it feels like a mild hangover. Terrible feeling. And to think we used to have that combined with nausuea and panic.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The part that makes hangovers worse is that you know you did it to yourself for no damn reason. Again. And if you feel better you'll just do it to yourself again. Unless you don't feel better, in which case you'll just do it to yourself again. And you never wake up in a desired new location, like a plane flight.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

jet lag and hangover have dehydration in common (physically I mean) so there are definitely a lot of shared symptoms.

Drink lots of water.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
The part that makes hangovers worse is that you know you did it to yourself for no damn reason. Again. And if you feel better you'll just do it to yourself again. Unless you don't feel better, in which case you'll just do it to yourself again. And you never wake up in a desired new location, like a plane flight.
You very well may wake up in an undesirable new location though. Yes I do no miss the incredible exhaustion that came with the passing out I called sleep.