Notices

Pubs and Christmas

Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Pubs and Christmas

I used to love a good old knees up at Christmas. Since I was young, it was always the place to be, especially Christmas Eve and New Years. Even after I kicked the booze in my forties, I still enjoyed it muchly. It didn't bother me around drinking people and had so much fun, especially on the karaoke.

But I feel differently this year. I still do pub lunches, especially Toby Carvery - yum!! But I don't want to go to pubs any more. I find them boring and notice more and more people who look miserable, especially towards the end of the evening. I can spot a lost soul a mile off. I will stay home this Christmas and probably eat myself to death - joking! Perhaps I am just getting old I am never tempted to drink and don't judge those who do, but does anyone else find pubs/bars depressing?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure if I find it depressing, but I don't like the pub ambience anymore, no.

D
Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not sure if I find it depressing, but I don't like the pub ambience anymore, no.

D
Yeah, I think that's what I mean besides it's too cold to go out
Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I miss this one irish pub during Christmas time. Old Christmas music...and that mellow buzz with twinkiling Christmas dim lights. I wasn't much of a bar person in the end but i would go there this time of year.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Too smoky, even after they passed a law banning it the pubs fought to get an exception. Besides that I always hated the old spilled liquor smell most of them have even when I was still drinking. Also, like you said, too many depressing people staring into their glass drowning away their sorrows.

Mostly though, the idea of being around a tap that can pour me a cold one on a moments weakness is terrifying. I'll steer clear for all the reasons above.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have always loved pubs. I grew up in them as a kid. I still like going to them sober. When I was a kid drunk people were kinda amusing. When I got older they were fun and drinking buddies. Now though I just can't bear seeing that sad lonely drunkenness people get. I am fine hanging out in pubs as long as I don't see that.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I miss this one irish pub during Christmas time. Old Christmas music...and that mellow buzz with twinkiling Christmas dim lights. I wasn't much of a bar person in the end but i would go there this time of year.
Fairytale of New York and a bit of diddly diddly foot movement lol. I love it when people think they are Michael Flatley. I do and I don't even drink
Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like it still for about an hr, then i'm bored of the drinkers conversations. I still like to go play pool or have some lunch but I couldn't just sit in one for a full night like I would drinking.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Had a toby tonight. Cheap and cheerful !

Agree Spending a whole night in a pub is beginning to feel more and more absurd the further I get away from that last drink.

Last Christmas was my first ever sober Christmas , I enjoyed it immensely , this year going to be the same . Real feelings , rawness , clarity and good humour . Drink would ruin all of that yuk.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Without the drink I just notice how loud, smelly and dirty most are. No interest.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Had a toby tonight. Cheap and cheerful !

Agree Spending a whole night in a pub is beginning to feel more and more absurd the further I get away from that last drink.

Last Christmas was my first ever sober Christmas , I enjoyed it immensely , this year going to be the same . Real feelings , rawness , clarity and good humour . Drink would ruin all of that yuk.
Love Tobies. Friday night is the best. It is heaving with all the Jewish community having their Friday night dinner. Big turnover of food so it's nice and hot. Great atmosphere and I'm not even Jewish.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ha, did not know that about Fridays . Hit and miss sometimes it's hot sometimes lukewarm. Pie n mash all day long
Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Funny KateL

I read the subject line of your post and all that came to mind was "Now there's a recipe for disaster!"

When I look at pubs or bars now I get a very dark feeling. It brings me back to when I actually thought that going in there and pouring alcohol into myself was fun. There were days in my early years that it was nice to sit with friends and relax with a few but those are long gone. In the end I can't say that I remember having any fun at all within the last year. It wasn't about the relaxing and fun it was just all about the drinking. I hated myself then. I led a horrible empty life where I only looked forward to one thing. Now I look forward to many things and none have anything to do with alcohol. Except for sobriety
Old 12-05-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't go to pubs or bars anymore, ever. The only exception is 2-3 times a year I go to see my friend play bass in his band (they play in bars), but I always bring a supportive person with me and have a plan as to when I will leave.

Alcohol and I had a bad breakup -- and I try to avoid seeing my exes.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, come to think of it, I might make an exception for a good band. Perhaps in the summer when they play outside. It doesn't really remind me of my drinking in pubs because it is a distant memory. But the the social aspect does seem to have become less appealing.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Never liked bars . . .stayed away when i was drinking and will continue to stay away now that i am sober.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i am only just over a month in, but i miss my locals. i moved to this neighborhood because everything was close and all my friends were here. we frequented three places and it was true that everyone knew our names. i will miss that, i know. there was a sense of warmth about the whole thing, but then there was the drinking...

i've discovered i can see these same folks at the coffee shop in the mornings...so i have to flip my evenings out to mornings out!

i am slowly going back to restaurants with my buddies- i fend off the desire to drink with gummy bears.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by anyistoomuch View Post
i am only just over a month in, but i miss my locals. i moved to this neighborhood because everything was close and all my friends were here. we frequented three places and it was true that everyone knew our names. i will miss that, i know. there was a sense of warmth about the whole thing, but then there was the drinking...

i've discovered i can see these same folks at the coffee shop in the mornings...so i have to flip my evenings out to mornings out!

i am slowly going back to restaurants with my buddies- i fend off the desire to drink with gummy bears.
Yum gummy bears. Yes coffee bars are good. Did that this morning and it was very Christmassy. Laughed loads. Pizza, lime and soda and then coffee. Yum again!!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Yum gummy bears.
I have assassinated so many gummy bears! One thought of wine enters my brain, a gummy bear loses its life.

Tonight I go out to my "local" to have dinner with my good buddy Kristin. I will be stuffing myself with gummy bears BEFORE my burger. (how gross does that sound - pre-burger gummy bears)
Old 12-06-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Lol. Sounds alright to me