Notices

The illusion of choice

Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The illusion of choice

"First the man takes a drink. Then the drink takes a drink. Then the drink takes the man.”

I really identify with this quote. For me, the first drink was always a choice. I wanted that drink. I wanted that one drink. The second, third, fourth etc. drinks? Those nearly poured themselves. Even if I cried or ask myself out loud not to pour it, I still did.

My choice led to the first drink. My first drink led to the many others. If I had not decided to stop drinking, the drink would have taken everything from me, even that illusion of choice.

Thanks for the support SR!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree. It took a long time to get that. One is one to many and one more is never enough.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post

I really identify with this quote. For me, the first drink was always a choice. I wanted that drink. I wanted that one drink. The second, third, fourth etc. drinks? Those nearly poured themselves. Even if I cried or ask myself out loud not to pour it, I still did.
In my early days of drinking, it was a matter of if & when I would take the next drink. In my final days of drinking, it was simply a matter of when I would take the next drink. It was no longer a matter of if I would take the next drink.