Notices

Disappointed...and a little bitter.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disappointed...and a little bitter.

Well, the job I was offered in October didn't come through. The offer was made, I accepted, filled out a ton of paperwork, completed a drug test but I guess my background investigation turned them off. 2 DUIs. I just never heard back from the recruiter. They kept saying the background check was pending but when I saw the job appear on various job sites again, I realized the truth. Perhaps I'm unemployable now because of the DUIs. That's a shame, I'm sober and I'm very talented at what I do. Things are getting tough financially, please pray for me and my family.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you ring them and ask what the problem was John?
You might be different, but I'd think I'd rather know?

I've never had a DUI but I know people here who have - and they;re gainfully employed. Don't give up hope over this one application

D
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

John, sorry to hear about this. I went through similar for about 6 months recently. I have 3 DUI's. And a background check with a temp service still pending! lol Well Dee's suggestion is actually good. Someone recommended it to me and the one job I did call back is the one I have now. It does suck that DUI's haunt us like that especially if we are now sober. But I think time is a factor and if we can show the steps we have taken to get better (AA, counseling probation etc) then that is all we can do. Will definitely pray for ye.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

I agree with Dee a professional recruiter would give you feedback if asked
Old 12-01-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is a hard pill to swallow when our past comes back to bite us. We go through so much to get and remain sober yet others are not so forgiving, especially in the work force. They only read what is on a piece of paper. If we could sit in front of them and tell our story the outcome may be different. Sadly, most of the time, we do not get that chance.

I would try and let go of that bitter taste. While I am sure you feel they deserve it, you do not and quite frankly, can't afford it.

Life on life's terms. Contact the recruiter and get feedback and then get back at it. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Repercussions

Hi John,
My love and prayers to you. I got up at 5am this morning and shed a tear for my two children I last had direct contact with on December 21st 2009. On the same night I got arrested for assault on their mother after I grabbed her by the throat. There followed a long journey into an abyss involving criminal charges, divorce family courts, bankruptcy, DUI, divorce. Four years later and the sum of all my efforts at righting wrongs with my children have been unsuccessful.
I got sober February 19th 2012.
All our actions have repercussions. We cannot coerce or manipulate these repercussions. It's so very difficult not to be bitter, not to be resentful, but really, what is the alternative.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would ask for a reason why you got denied. I don't know your exact circumstances but it sounds to me that legally they have to do that. At least then you will know the reason without having to jump to conclusions. My friend had the same situation and his employer didn't give him any reason. he is now going through the process of taking legal action.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry about your predicament. I had a friend who I sponsored, ask me if he should state on his application for employment with the postal service, that he had gone through treatment for alcoholism. I told him to be honest about his past. I'm not sure if the question was asked of you, but in my experience in applying for employment, I've always been open and up front about my alcoholism and I also mention that I've been sober X number of years. I know DUIs hang around for a long time but coming clean with a future employer might be in your favor.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
I agree with Dee a professional recruiter would give you feedback if asked
This is the surprising part. This was a professional recruiting agency. They set up the interview, handled the offer and paperwork and then, nothing. I did call, several times. At first they said there was a hold-up with the background check. I waited, then tried to contact them again. They will not take my calls and do not return calls. I've decided to move on but it does leave a rather unpleasant taste in my mouth.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Life ain't fair sometimes. I haven't been in your situation exactly, but I'm trying to imagine how disappointing it must be to have your past dragging you down.

When I got sober, a big reason was because my career had become stagnant, borderline in the toilet. I expected all that to change when I put down the bottle....and it didn't. So here I am a year later. There are two ways of looking at my situation:

1. I am essentially working in the minor leagues of my profession, way out in the backwaters and in the middle of nowhere. My career has essentially stalled.

Or 2. I've been handed an excellent opportunity to hone my trade and be prepared for the next time an opportunity comes knocking.

It's all about perspectives. This much I can tell you. Stay sober, work hard and focus on what you can control and you'll receive fulfillment from life in all sorts of ways you didn't expect.