Notices

Alcoholism and solitary

Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and solitary

Hi

My alcoholic bf seems to have pushed himself into a corner
Do addicts find it hard to be away from their home. Is it their safety net
Is this why my bf won't go anywhere with me why I am the one that does all the moving back and forth to his place. He won't even travel with be to see my fils who live abroad, even when I took sick there seriously so.
And he is usually a very caring guy. Now he wants me with him always..

X
Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I don't know that this is something peculiar to addicts. There are some conditions with social anxiety issues that would probably be a more likely explanation?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If he is like I was, he is closing in. Avoiding driving to protect his driver License, mixed with Shame about his addiction, and stress of having to control his drinking when in public. Addiction really grinds at the self esteem, untill we have very litle left. Just looking in the mirror becomes difficult.

Just my litle 50 cents about how I can compare to my situation
Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats how I got. I got to the point were I was not even going to drive to get my alcohol. I would have dial a bottle drop it off. I didnt do anything. Go to my office, clean my place, eat, watch TV, make food. Nothing. I just sat, drank and talked to myself - glaring towards the TV because there was no way I could pay attention to anything that inebriated.
I also avoided family situations, I didnt want them to see me at my worst. I never called friends either. Completely secluded myself from everything in the outside world.
That is the stage of severe alcoholism, and oh boy does it get worse. Then seizures will start happening and frequent hospital visits. It just gets worse and worse as the days go by.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

When my BF was in active alcoholism that is how he was. Stay home, holed up drinking. He wouldn't answer the phone or door most of the time. There were times I was afraid he was dead and would throw sticks at his second floor window to see if I could get a response.

He was less and less willing to even go on a small trip to town, wouldn't take a hike (which is something he loves), only place he went was work, then home to drink his paycheck. Didn't even want me around to interrupt his drinking, or to have to be ashamed in front of. The odd night he'd ask me to come and stay with him, he's already be drunk.

Mostly he says he just didn't want anything to interfere with his drinking...not even taking a shower, getting dressed, or having to try to behave properly...every little thing was something that could get in the way of his sacred "buzz".