Notices

Question: Will My Memory Get Better?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question: Will My Memory Get Better?

For most of my adult life, I had an excellent memory. But in the last 3 years my memory has gotten drastically worse. My co-workers even joke that they won't ask me about anything that happened more than 2 weeks ago because there's no way I'll remember it. That's a slight exaggeration, but they & my family have definitely noticed a difference.

Of course, it may just be that I'm getting older. But if alcohol was the cause, will my memory come back now that I'm sober or is the damage done?

Brian
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you begin sharpening your memory ...crossword puzzles and word games helped me a lot... Scrabble is my favorite.
To play solo Scrabble...set a timer for x minutes with x score as your goal.
Of course you can find all sorts of things on line too.includeing Scrabble when you get more confident about your new abilities.

I also suggest you become a list maker....write down all important events and work situations.

Early sobriety was a confusing time for me...it took about 2 months before I felt back in balance mentally and physically. I was 52 during those days.

Hope this helps....you too can continue to win over alcohol...:

Last edited by CarolD; 07-21-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck to you!

I'm a newbie with just under 5 months in. I noticed that my panicky brain fog started lifting at about 2 months. That's one of the best things for me. No more "where am I?" feelings or being lost when I'm driving at night.....

No more, "Did I tell this story already?"....

I use a lot of lists. Since my mind is clearer, I am able to get those items ON the list and then have the persistence to USE the list and get things DONE.

My new favorite ring is currently on the MIA list but I have faith it's here in the house somewhere and I'll find it soon.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,
I can relate to this - thank you for posting it! I got sober for the first time in April 2010 and stayed sober for a year. In that time, my memory definitely improved within a few months. I have been having a lot of relapses since April of this year, and my memory has been crap again I am still working on staying sober one day at a time, though. Hopefully my memory comes back too after a few more 24hours.
Best of luck to you
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mad4Chaos View Post

Of course, it may just be that I'm getting older. But if alcohol was the cause, will my memory come back now that I'm sober or is the damage done?
In my case, my memory improved somewhat, each day for the first 2 weeks after I quit drinking. However, it still fell short of what it used to be, until I started taking B-Complex or Balanced B-50.

To give you an idea just how important my B vitamin is for me today, if I stop taking it for a few days, I forget where I keep my vitamins... LOL!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Probably, especially when you get to the point you can't remember what you did the night before. The brain is pretty good at rewiring itself.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've read from google that alcohol has a lot of impairments to memory when we are consciously drunk and impaired. I suspect this takes its toll on the long term memory as well.

I too am hoping to increase my memory, but I am a part time benzo user.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It would not hurt to get checked out by your physician, just in case.
They can check for early onset Alzheimer's.

I'm sure you are fine, at any rate!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My memory increased dramatically after I quit drinking, and it has been most notably at work, I used to blame my poor memory on age (I was only in my 40s...) or just say "that's the way I am" but the last 4 yrs have been clearer than ever, I still don't remember minute details but I think this is "just the way I am" but at least I remember the big picture.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Question Re:Question: Will My Memory Get Better?

Good question??? My memory improved dramatically over time. It took me over 7 years to get some mental clarity back and it can only improve from there. Give time time ( Mad4Chaos) and recovery that much more. Your life and mental faculties depend on both. Does it improve??? Yes, It will. We promise....

~God bless~
Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

My memory too went to pot (not pot the drug - figuratively speaking). I get so frustrated on some days still because I'm a really sharp tack (or well I was). I have noticed improvements (a little over 6 months sober now) but it's no where NEAR what I used to be/where I want to be. As others have said though...the brain is remarkable at healing itself and time is your best friend.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

After 6 months, I'm not sure yet.

But I know that I'm no longer making it substantially worse any more.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

What was the question??
Ok not making light of it but there are some definitive studies that indicate that us alcoholics have two perceptions for memory, those when sober and those when drinking. I was told by a psychologist who is one of my best friends and teaches at a major university that I would have more difficulty remembering things that occurred during my drinking period during sobriety and vice versa.

I am at ten months and the first three I was a bit panicky about memory issues as one of my PAWS. For those early months I couldn't remember from minute to minute what I was in the middle of doing. I finally stopped worrying about it and went with the flow, picking up and finishing each thing as I encountered it again later. Now I am pretty much back to normal, whatever THAT means. I am 17 years older than you and was a heckuva hard drinker too. It really does get better, lots better Brian.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Hi there, yes it will improve over time and I think thats the over riding message coming though so tick that one off your worry list.

Also omega 3 fish oil is absolutely brilliant for optimum brain function, you can take it in capsule form or of course any oily fish, herring, mackerel, sardines.

It is also brilliant for your eyes and skin, combatting all that dehydration and all that.

Happy Sober Saturday
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

lol

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
In my case, my memory improved somewhat, each day for the first 2 weeks after I quit drinking. However, it still fell short of what it used to be, until I started taking B-Complex or Balanced B-50.

To give you an idea just how important my B vitamin is for me today, if I stop taking it for a few days, I forget where I keep my vitamins... LOL!
If it makes sense it is not religion...If it makes sense it is spiritual...God bless!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mad4Chaos View Post
When I became a vegetarian, my memory went south - vitamin B-Complex fixed it. When I became a alcoholic, my memory went south - more vitamin B-Complex fixed it. When I became a senior citizen, my memory went south - even more vitamin B-Complex fixed it.

To give you some idea how vital vitamin B is in my life - If I stop taking it, I forget where I keep my vitamins.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I would have forgotten my head if it wasn't attached. Now at 8 months sober it is much better.

My biggest problem is I remember to much of the petty details. I can tell you the day of the week, what the snack was and the color of "Mary's" sweater but I can't tell you what the point was of the gathering. I mean I know it but I have a hard time telling it with out all the other pointless crap...lol

I am working on that!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I,ve been sober 4 years and my memory is terrible. Some kind of anxiety/dissociation thing going on, I guess.