Notices

After detox...

Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After detox...

I am still new here....I was an IV opiate who has been clean 3 months. But have traded that addiction for alcohol. I go to detox Friday. My biggest fear is learning to live without having that high to look forward to It was a reward system; a crutch. Life seems so boring sober. How do you fight that and learn to live drug/alcohol free?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have to search for that natural high, something that releases endorphins the healthy way. Try lighting some scented Vanilla or Lavender candles. Exercise lightly, just enough to get a release from it without stressing you physically. Watch some comedy or read the comics, anything to get you smiling. Immerse yourself in a really good music album while soaking in the tub or cuddling under a warm blanket.

Just try to think of things that make you happy and get you a natural release. If there is a hobby that gives you satisfaction at seeing or hearing the result, it will take up free time and give you the release when you enjoy your finished work.

Occupy yourself and don't dwell on the impulses, they will go away in time.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by msgrayson View Post
My biggest fear is learning to live without having that high to look forward to It was a reward system; a crutch. Life seems so boring sober.
If you are at the stage where you are going to detox, I can't imagine that your life is that "exciting" any more. The fear you have is the fear your addiction is projecting in order to protect it. There is life after drugs and alcohol, so of course your addictive mind would seek to convince you otherwise.

I loved getting high and drunk. But once I quit I realized how much in the clutches of addiction I was. Now I'm free.

Nothing boring about that!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies! All of those ideas mentioned I love! I just can't help but worry how it will be sober! Watching water boil high is "fun"! Not so much sober. I just want to be happy again..Once that door was opened to me, I know it is there and there are things out there that escalate my level of happiness; as destructive as they are. My problem escalated very quickly!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

I am still new here....I was an IV opiate who has been clean 3 months. But have traded that addiction for alcohol. I go to detox Friday. My biggest fear is learning to live without having that high to look forward to It was a reward system; a crutch. Life seems so boring sober. How do you fight that and learn to live drug/alcohol free?
My life was pretty boring when I got sober too. After all, who doesn't miss vomiting in the street, waking up on your neighbor's lawn, not remembering what you did from about five minutes after getting home from work, daily fatigue, multiple trips to the ER after passing out at work and in public, apologizing for things you don't remember saying or doing, losing family and friends after a whole lot of unnecessary drama, waking up outside surrounded by cops after falling from a second-story window the night before, getting fired, being homeless, and being unwelcome no matter where you go? What with the damage I did to my liver, pancreas, digestive system and my central nervous system, including my brain, I always had something to look forward to.

Yeah, I miss the excitement.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOL! I know it's not funny..but you made me laugh! Some of those things are so true! It hurts and it reminds me of the consequences of living to get high! I know it will be a constant struggle! I am just so scared to fail! Not sure where to focus!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

LOL! I know it's not funny..but you made me laugh!
Mission accomplished.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
My life was pretty boring when I got sober too. After all, who doesn't miss vomiting in the street, waking up on your neighbor's lawn, not remembering what you did from about five minutes after getting home from work, daily fatigue, multiple trips to the ER after passing out at work and in public, apologizing for things you don't remember saying or doing, losing family and friends after a whole lot of unnecessary drama, waking up outside surrounded by cops after falling from a second-story window the night before, getting fired, being homeless, and being unwelcome no matter where you go? What with the damage I did to my liver, pancreas, digestive system and my central nervous system, including my brain, I always had something to look forward to.

Yeah, I miss the excitement.
Priceless. And so damn accurate.

Thanks EndGame!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

LOL! I know it's not funny..but you made me laugh! Some of those things are so true! It hurts and it reminds me of the consequences of living to get high! I know it will be a constant struggle! I am just so scared to fail! Not sure where to focus!
I guess living to get high, or living with the sole objective of making my SELF happy was the cause of all my problems. I doubt if I could suggest anything that will make you happy, if that is the only objective, that you can do, that will actually make you happy.

But, what if there was a life you could lead that you found infinitely better than the old one. Where you wake up in the morning excited at the prospect of the new day, where you meet people and do things that give you a deep sense of satisfaction, where you retire at night happy with what you have done, who you have met, and amazed at what you have achieved. Where life is interesting and you are completely at ease, and where you get immense pleasure from helping others?

That's what happened to me when I joined a 12 step fellowship, and followed a few simple suggestions.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Mission accomplished.
Yep, We are not a glum lot. I do more now than I ever did isolating in my kitchen drinking wine . Bobbi